[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CRC eror - SIMTEL20 arc's

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/01/89)

Hello.

Sorry for bringing this up here, but I seem to recall some note about CRC error
when unARCing files downloaded from SIMTEL20. I did a 'type l 8', and
unarced using PKUNPAK, which in turn I got from PK361.EXE.
Could someone oblige me by emailing me some info. about what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your patience,

Milan
mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu.

seligson@aludra.usc.edu (Richard Seligson) (05/04/89)

In article <111700074@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>... I seem to recall some note about CRC error
>when unARCing files downloaded from SIMTEL20. I did a 'type l 8', and
>unarced using PKUNPAK, which in turn I got from PK361.EXE.
>
>Milan
>mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu.

I had a similar problem:  I was FTPing from Simtel to the UNIX
system here, and the using Kermit to get the files to my PC.  When I
got the files there, PKXARC would give me CRC errors.

It turns out that the FTP was working fine.  My problem was with
Kermit.  It was necessary to give the command "set file type binary"
to the UNIX Kermit before the transfer.  This cleared up the problem.

When the file type is ASCII, Kermit replaces UNIX line terminators
(LF) with DOS-like line terminators (CR LF).  Setting type to BINARY
disables this translation.

Hope this helps,
Rich

seligson@oberon.usc.edu  - ARPA