[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Request for Assistance

ahr@bigburd.PRC.Unisys.COM (Allan Rabenau) (05/04/89)

At a local installation, a directive has been published by the building
facilities people stating that all equipment (Suns, PC's, terminals etc.) must
be powered off when not in use.  I am aware of the fact that
inrush current (when turning on equipment) is one of the major contributors to
electronic equipment failure, as well as the continuing discussions here
regarding "should I leave my PC on".  I have taken a strong stand against this
idea, and would appreciate any supporting information anyone can supply.
Please use Email, not the forum; if anyone wishes a summary, request it from me
by mail.  Thanks a lot.

gefuchs@wotan.top.cis.syr.edu (Gill E. Fuchs) (05/04/89)

In article <10161@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> ahr@bigburd.PRC.Unisys.COM (Allan Rabenau) writes:
>At a local installation, a directive has been published by the building
>facilities people stating that all equipment (Suns, PC's, terminals etc.) must
>be powered off when not in use.  I am aware of the fact that ........

Equipment like Sun workstations are designed to never be turned off.  Sure, you
could turn them off, but if you do, be prepared to wait for a l-o-n-g time when
you go to power up again.  At the office where I used to work, two Suns were
left on continuously, as were two LaserWriters.  The PC's and Macs were turned
off at the end of each day.