[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Public School BBS info

mtbb95@ms.uky.edu (Bob Maras) (04/26/89)

As a teacher with a dedicated phone line and an IBM-PC, I am desirous of info.
regarding just which software program will best permit me to sysop a 24-hour
a day BBS.  I am kinda new at this, and would appreciate your help.  I know
that software programs exist, but, do not know which way to go with this.

Thanks

Bob Maras

lng@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Lester Ng) (04/26/89)

In article <11598@s.ms.uky.edu> mtbb95@ms.uky.edu (Bob Maras) writes:
>As a teacher with a dedicated phone line and an IBM-PC, I am desirous of info.
>regarding just which software program will best permit me to sysop a 24-hour
>a day BBS.  I am kinda new at this, and would appreciate your help.  I know
>that software programs exist, but, do not know which way to go with this.
>
>Thanks
>
>Bob Maras

Personally I would recommend the software package WWIV, there are two common
versions of this software.  One is written in Turbo Pascal (WWIV 3.21d) and
the more recent WWIV 4.07 which is written in Turbo C.  The source code for
3.21d is public domain while the 4.07 only provides the source code for a fee
of $50, but the executeable file is public domain and is distrubuted freely.
If it is not availible to you on any of your local BBSes it can be downloaded
from the author at 1-213-208-6689 or 1-619-452-2893.

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (04/26/89)

In article <11598@s.ms.uky.edu> mtbb95@ms.uky.edu (Bob Maras) writes:
<As a teacher with a dedicated phone line and an IBM-PC, I am desirous of info.
<regarding just which software program will best permit me to sysop a 24-hour
<a day BBS.  I am kinda new at this, and would appreciate your help.  I know
<that software programs exist, but, do not know which way to go with this.

I suggest RBBS-PC.  There is also PC-Board.  Your local computer club (most
cities have them) can help you in getting a copy.  Local BBS systems will
as have it on-line so that you can download all the files and then set up
the program yourself.  Both programs are free.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

paine@rust.dec.com (Willy Paine) (04/27/89)

Set up your priority on running BBS before you look for BBS software.

These are list of question on taking your choice on bbs software:

Do you want all message/conference system bbs?
Do you want combination of files and messages system?
Do you want BBS that runs mostly files for file transfers?
Do you want to include netmail/conference from other BBS/Unix
     machines like FidoNet or Usenet mail?

If you want to spend little time with BBS, I suggest to get simple
BBS to install.  Choosing modem is very important because some bbs
software does not work too well on setting up modem.

I am sysop of Seaeast PC Exchange BBS.  I also run netmail in
FidoNet 1:343/15 and UUCP
uw-beaver!thebes!camco!happym!rwing!seaeast!willyp

Willy

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (04/27/89)

In article <11598@s.ms.uky.edu>, mtbb95@ms.uky.edu (Bob Maras) writes:
> As a teacher with a dedicated phone line and an IBM-PC, I am desirous of info.
> regarding just which software program will best permit me to sysop a 24-hour
> a day BBS.  I am kinda new at this, and would appreciate your help.  I know
> that software programs exist, but, do not know which way to go with this.

I have run BBS's using both PCBoard (a commercial product) and RBBS (a free-
ware product).  Both have definate advantages and disadvantages, but by far,
PCB is my favorite.

PCBoard
by: Clark Development Co.
    Murray, UT
    (801) 261-1686 (voice)
    (801) 261-8974 (BBS)

negatives (personal views)
  cost: $79.00 for single node version (if I am remembering right)
        119.00 for 3 node version (what I am running)
        progressively higher costs, for additional nodes
        includes 1 year full support and upgrades
        $50.00 support renewal each year after
        demo version available at no cost
  code is locked
        it works "this way" and that's it
  a little criptic for the first time SysOp to setup

positives (again, personal views)
  documentation (supurb!  what more can I say?)
  support (again, excellent!)
  user friendly
  consistant from BBS to BBS (why the code is locked)
  can run a 2 node system on 1 640k PC
  can run upto 99 nodes over most PC networks
  multi lingual support
  excellent sysop utilities (makes your job MUCH easier!)
  releases fully tested prior to release (very few bugs show up in the field)
  could go on and on - but these are the high points

RBBS
by: many
    available via many BBSs

negatives (still personal views)
  too many unrelated people doing coding (lacks continuity and consistancy)
  documentation - fair to poor
  releases eratic and buggy
  memory hog (1 node/1 PC only)
  inconsistant operation from BBS to BBS (sysops are free to hack code)
  user unfriendly
  extreemly criptic for first time sysop to setup

positives ($include, stnddiscl.h)
  free
  code included (hack away guys!)
  completly customizable (not really sure this is a positive)

There are a multitude of other BBS packages out there as well, but these are
the two I have personal sysop experience on.  Ran RBBS for about 2 years and
have been running PCB for the last 6+.

Will be happy to corrospond directly, if further details on either package is
desired.

Art
SysOp - The Bedroom BBS
816-637-4183 = 300/1200/2400 8N1

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (04/27/89)

mtbb95@ms.uky.edu (Bob Maras) wrote:
> As a teacher with a dedicated phone line and an IBM-PC, I am desirous of info.
> regarding just which software program will best permit me to sysop a 24-hour
> a day BBS.  I am kinda new at this, and would appreciate your help.  I know
> that software programs exist, but, do not know which way to go with this.

    I would like to add my $0.02 by suggesting that you look
    into a bbs package that supports FidoNet like Fido, Opus, or
    any one of the half a dozen packages out there.

    With Fidonet you will be able to plug into the FidoNet
    network of >6000 machines world wide and via the Internet
    gateways (using UFGATE) you will be able to send and receive
    USENET newsgroups and Internet (and UUCP) mail.

		Tim

--
 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108

lng@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Lester Ng) (04/28/89)

Actually, RBBS and WWIV can recieve Fidonet mail via Binkley Term, a program
that allows many non-fido/opus boards to receive fidonet mail.  I simply
prefer WWIV, because the message base is simple and quick.  File transfers
are just as easy.  Fido/Opus, RBBS, Pc Board, and Wildcat are a bit cumbersome
when using the mail/message sub-boards.  You push one key and it executes
without you ever having to use the enter key.

kevinf@infmx.UUCP (Kevin Franden) (04/28/89)

In article <7103@hoptoad.uucp> pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) writes:
>mtbb95@ms.uky.edu (Bob Maras) wrote:
>> As a teacher with a dedicated phone line and an IBM-PC, I am desirous of info.
>> regarding just which software program will best permit me to sysop a 24-hour
>> a day BBS.  I am kinda new at this, and would appreciate your help.  I know
>> that software programs exist, but, do not know which way to go with this.
>
>    I would like to add my $0.02 by suggesting that you look
>    into a bbs package that supports FidoNet like Fido, Opus, or
>    any one of the half a dozen packages out there.

	Since _my_ particular BBS has never been metioned I'll do my part
	in promoting a great product too.

	I ran a bbs on QuickBBS for awhile and I thought it was the greatest
	thing since sliced bread!!!  It it very easy to install, very flexable
	and loads of fun!!!

	I it was $50 to register (but you could set it up to test) and this
	got you free upgrades ad nausium.  It used the fossil driver for
	flexability and I had a couple of games running on it!

	I think it's much better than RBBS (I _really dislike RBBS), PCBoard
	or Fido.

Kevin Franden		    UUCP: {backbone}!pyramid!infmx!kevinf
Informix Software Inc
disclaimer("I said what I said and not my employer");
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Clay.Vagnini@f18.n369.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Clay Vagnini) (04/29/89)

Bob, The Wildcat! Ver 1.13 and it's Shareware Version have gained wide acceptance as a program that is easy to use and maintain. I run it in several
configurations supporting normal bbs activity as well as private corporate message handlers.  This is one you want to look at.

--
Fidonet : Clay Vagnini at Fidonet Node 1:369/2
Internet: Clay.Vagnini@f18.n369.z1.FIDONET.ORG

muadib is a FREE gateway for mail between Usenet and FidoNet.
For info write to Root@muadib.FIDONET.ORG

"Gee Fido... I don't think we're in a DOS environment any more!"

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (TOM BETZ) (05/03/89)

Quoth mtbb95@ms.uky.edu (Bob Maras) in <11598@s.ms.uky.edu>:
|As a teacher with a dedicated phone line and an IBM-PC, I am desirous of info.
|regarding just which software program will best permit me to sysop a 24-hour
|a day BBS.  I am kinda new at this, and would appreciate your help.  I know
|that software programs exist, but, do not know which way to go with this.
|
|Thanks
|
|Bob Maras

Bob, before you settle on a decision, you should take a look at
what the NY City Board of Ed is using for its BBS system,
NYCENET.

The software is called "Magpie"... it's a shareware product, and
though the NY BOE is running it on a Xenix 386 machine with 8
line (soon to be 32), there's also a DOS version that will run
right smartly on your IBM-PC.

To check out what's going on on NYCENET, call 212-769-0556.  It
has an online tutorial (the opening message tells you how to get
there).

To see the latest version, and to download the DOS version, call
Magpie HQ at 212-420-0527.   Steve Manes, the author, runs it.

When you log off HQ, there's a list of the other public Magpies
(on three continents)... there might be one closer to you for
further exploration.

It offers a lot of advantages over your standard BBS for an
educational-based system.

--
"Tell me, is this Heaven?"                          |  Tom Betz, 114 Woodworth
                                   "No, it's Iowa." |  Yonkers, NY 10701-2509
                                                    |      (914) 375-1510
"Iowa... I could have >sworn< it was Heaven."       | cmcl2!hombre!dasys1!tbetz

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (05/05/89)

In article <239.2459A3F1@muadib.FIDONET.ORG> Clay.Vagnini@f18.n369.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Clay Vagnini) writes:
>Bob, The Wildcat! Ver 1.13 and it's Shareware Version have gained wide acceptance as a program that is easy to use and maintain. I run it in several
>configurations supporting normal bbs activity as well as private corporate message handlers.  This is one you want to look at.
>
>Fidonet : Clay Vagnini at Fidonet Node 1:369/2
>Internet: Clay.Vagnini@f18.n369.z1.FIDONET.ORG
>UUCP    : ...!novavax!muadib!18!Clay.Vagnini
>
>muadib is a FREE gateway for mail between Usenet and FidoNet.
>For info write to Root@muadib.FIDONET.ORG

    You may notice that this posting came from a FidoNet site.
    Just another reason that you may want to consider a BBS that
    can hook into FidoNet (or USENET for that matter...)  I
    don't think Wildcat can.  I may be wrong 'though.

	      Tim

--
 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108

paine@rust.dec.com (Willy Paine) (05/06/89)

Dear Tom Betz

Thank you for your information about Magpie on unix/dos version.
I am wondering about supporting FidoNet email system on Magpie.

I am thinking about switching to Unix system but want to continue
FidoNet mailing system as well as uucp mail.

Willy