[comp.sys.ibm.pc] expanded memory, different BIOS

oxalis@ccb.ucsf.edu (Michael Sintchak) (05/04/89)

   Does anyone have experience using a DTK 286 motherboard (AT clone)
with an expanded memory board (Rampage AT)?  I've gotten the memory
board to back-fill the 512k on my motherboard up to 640k, but I'd
really like to have only 256k on my motherboard and have the memory
board back-fill the rest (for Desqview purposes).  It seems I can't
have only 256k on my motherboard, the machine won't boot.  I was under
the impression AT's could work on only 256k main memory.

   This leads me to my next question: does anyone have experience
using a BIOS other than DTK's in one of their motherboards?  I've
experienced excellent compatibility in the past, but once in a while I
have to use non-standard program set-ups to get things to run.  Will a
"better" BIOS (e.g., Phoenix or AMI) give me better (i.e., perfect)
compatibility?  More importantly, will another BIOS even work :-)

-- mike.

=================================
Mike Sintchak (oxalis@ccb.ucsf.edu)
Dept. of Pharm. Chem. - UC San Francisco
=================================

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (05/06/89)

In article <1939@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, oxalis@ccb.ucsf.edu (Michael Sintchak) writes:

> ... It seems I can't
> have only 256k on my motherboard, the machine won't boot.  I was under
> the impression AT's could work on only 256k main memory.

The AT motherboard usually takes 18 256-k dram chips to make 512-k.
If you remove 9 of these, you'll have 256-k, but you're removing
every odd (or even) byte, not the upper half of the 512-k context.
The CPU expects memory to be 16 bits wide.  There's no way to make
256-k of 16 bit memory (i.e. 128-k 16-bit words) out of 256-k x 1
chips.