[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Micro 1 Bankrupt

galvin-peter@CS.Yale.EDU (Peter Galvin) (05/02/89)

The saga continues...you might recall that I ordered a replacement 386
motherboard from Micro 1 in February, and since it hadn't been sent in
March I cancelled my order and asked for them to credit my charge
card. Being untrusting I also had the credit card company stop payment
on that charge under Mail Order Laws (I hope they did that, but I'm
still fighting with them about it for reasons I won't go into).
Anyway My April charge card bill arrived and still no sign of the
charge credit.  I called Micro 1 today and asked for the scoop, and
they informed be that they are now under Chapter 11 bankrupcy
protection and that I'd be receiving a letter.  They did say that
they are under new management and expect to make good on all orders
and money owed, but didn't say when...not to say that I believe them.
But when I called sales they still seemed to be taking orders.

So, I'd recommend NOT ORDERING from MICRO 1 until they've come out of
bankrupcy.  I'm surprised that they can still take orders while under
court protection (if in fact they were...that's just my feeling), but
I know I wouldn't order from them.   Just a friendly caution.

No affiliation et al.

					      --Peter

------------------------------------------    --------------------------------
Peter Baer Galvin       		      (203)432-1254
Senior Systems Programmer, Yale Univ. C.S.    galvin-peter@cs.yale.edu
51 Prospect St, P.O.Box 2158, Yale Station    ucbvax!decvax!yale!galvin-peter
New Haven, Ct   06457			      galvin-peter@yalecs.bitnet

					      --Peter

------------------------------------------    --------------------------------
Peter Baer Galvin       		      (203)432-1254
Senior Systems Programmer, Yale Univ. C.S.    galvin-peter@cs.yale.edu
51 Prospect St, P.O.Box 2158, Yale Station    ucbvax!decvax!yale!galvin-peter
New Haven, Ct   06457			      galvin-peter@yalecs.bitnet

dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) (05/03/89)

I had a bad experience with Micro 1 last year, and I wouldn't order
from them again, either.

In April, '88, I ordered a 386 system, a Mylex tower.  In June, I was
informed the board and sheetmetal case were on backorder, but due in
any moment.  In checking with Mylex, I found the parts actually were
in the Mylex warehouse, but Micro 1 had neglected to pick them up!

After many phone calls to Micro 1, I finally got the system in
September, a wait of 5 months.  I checked with other stores in the
area, and could have had my system in less than 3 days, just the need
for burn-in time.  (I couldn't cancel the order due to fiscal year
restrictions.)
--
David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
The Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Science,  ***  net:  uunet!skivs!dr

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (05/06/89)

In article <59089@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, galvin-peter@CS.Yale.EDU (Peter Galvin) writes:
>  [...] I called Micro 1 today and asked for the scoop, and
> they informed be that they are now under Chapter 11 bankrupcy
> protection and that I'd be receiving a letter.  They did say that
> they are under new management and expect to make good on all orders
> and money owed, but didn't say when...not to say that I believe them.
> But when I called sales they still seemed to be taking orders.
>
> So, I'd recommend NOT ORDERING from MICRO 1 until they've come out of
> bankrupcy.  I'm surprised that they can still take orders while under
> court protection (if in fact they were...that's just my feeling), but
> I know I wouldn't order from them.   Just a friendly caution.

Bankruptcy does not necessarily mean that the company ceases to exist
or that it stops operations.  There are several different types of
bankruptcy;  the most common ones are those governed by:

	o Chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy laws - This is total liquidation,
	  all assets impounded and sold, liabilities paid off as possible
	  (often only a few cents on the dollar), and the company must
	  cease and desist its operation.

	o Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy laws - This is reorganization.
	  The company continues operations, but has some protection from
	  previous creditors while it tries to work out payment terms.
	  This prevents the creditors from obtaining judgements and
	  seizure of assets in lieu of payment.  It does not mean that
	  the company is forbidden to seek out new business (in fact, it
	  will probably be required by the bankruptcy court!).  Whether
	  it is wise to deal with a firm in such a situation depends on
	  whether you think they will be able to continue operations and
	  whether you think the organization is reputable.  Numerous
	  large and well-known companies have sought protection under
	  Chapter 11 and re-emerged as profitable companies again - this
	  is not usually possible without new business!  Obviously if the
	  company continues to lose money it may eventually die the
	  corporate equivalent of death by Chapter 7 (which is not, by
	  the way, the only way for a corporation to "die").

	o Chapter 13 of the Bankruptcy laws - This is individual bankruptcy.
	  It usually does not apply in business situations unless the
	  business organization is a sole proprietorship or a partnership.
	  Depending on the direction of the court, it can look similar to
	  either Chapter 11 or Chapter 7 for corporations.

Many people who have little contact with the business world have a great
deal of confusion about exactly what bankruptcy is.  It is certainly NOT
necessarily a complete extinction of the company - Chapter 7 above is
probably what most people who hear the work "Bankruptcy" think about;
but Chapter 11 bankruptcies are also quite common - perhaps even more
common than Chapter 7 bankruptcies.

						Bruce C. Wright

jeffrey@algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) (05/07/89)

In article <2932@rti.UUCP> bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) writes:
>In article <59089@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, galvin-peter@CS.Yale.EDU (Peter Galvin) writes:
>>  [...] I called Micro 1 today and asked for the scoop, and
>> they informed be that they are now under Chapter 11 bankrupcy
>> protection and that I'd be receiving a letter.  They did say that
>> they are under new management and expect to make good on all orders
>> and money owed, but didn't say when...not to say that I believe them.
>> But when I called sales they still seemed to be taking orders.
>>
>> So, I'd recommend NOT ORDERING from MICRO 1 until they've come out of
>> bankrupcy.  I'm surprised that they can still take orders while under
>> court protection ...
>
>Bankruptcy does not necessarily mean that the company ceases to exist
>or that it stops operations.  [ Long and legally correct description
>of Chapters 7, 11 and 13 of the Bankrupcy Laws ].
>
>Many people who have little contact with the business world have a great
>deal of confusion about exactly what bankruptcy is.

As far a contact with the business world goes, my entire living comes from
my own little programming business.  Bruce's information is legally very
well informed, but if the implication is that one should continue to do
business with a mail order firm in Chapter 11, it is somewhat naive.

While legally a mail order company in Chapter 11 is reorganizing and may
never cause anyone more than a few days delay, practical considerations
suggest otherwise.  Often they are using Chapters 11 as a maneuver to slip
the company's assets into a few insider hands.  IF they take your money and
send you nothing, under Chapter 11 that can be perfectly legal.  They are
not legally able to give preference to one class of debtor (that poor devil
who paid for a hard disk) over another (the insider who sold them a pile of
worthless assets at a highly inflated value the day before they filed
Chapter 11).  In fact, they could validly claim that to pay you would be in
violation of court order.  If you think the management which the court left
in place is not being fair, you can fly out and stand in line in court.

Almost always the court leaves present management in place, and supervises
them to protect the creditors.  The judge is really at the mercy of the
information provided by the company, and Judge Wapner himself could do
little more than prevent the more egregious ripoffs of the larger
creditors.

Chrysler or a steel company in Chapter 11 may be a reasonable credit risk,
but given that consumers avoid mail order firms in Chapter 11 like the
plague, often their intentions are to simply to perform a few court
protected scams.  So Peter is not necessarily out his money, but I would
not give him $.50 on the dollar.
--

Jeffrey Kegler, President, Algorists,
jeffrey@algor2.UU.NET or uunet!algor2!jeffrey

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (05/07/89)

In article <426@algor2.UUCP>, jeffrey@algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
> In article <2932@rti.UUCP> bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) writes:
> >Bankruptcy does not necessarily mean that the company ceases to exist
> >or that it stops operations.  [ Long and legally correct description
> >of Chapters 7, 11 and 13 of the Bankrupcy Laws ].
> >
> >Many people who have little contact with the business world have a great
> >deal of confusion about exactly what bankruptcy is.
>
> As far a contact with the business world goes, my entire living comes from
> my own little programming business.  Bruce's information is legally very
> well informed, but if the implication is that one should continue to do
> business with a mail order firm in Chapter 11, it is somewhat naive.

My original posting should not have been taken as a recommendation to
deal with that particular company - I was only responding to what sounded
to me like surprise in Jeffrey's original posting that Micro 1 was still
allowed to accept new business.  It was not necessarily my intention to
imply that Jeffrey had little contact with business realities, though I
will admit that it sounded like that to me through the rather terse contact
possible through the net.

Jeffrey goes on to talk about some of the bankruptcy scams that sometimes
go on, and about the wisdom of dealing with a company in such a situation
through the mail.  This is for the most part pretty good advice;  I had
mentioned in passing in my previous posting that whether you choose to
deal with such a firm should depend in large part on how reputable you
feel the firm to be.  Obviously that can be difficult to figure out if a
mail-order company is in another state and you have little direct or
indirect contact (say through people you know in that state) with the
management of the mail-order company.

For what it's worth, in my experience companies are not normally organized
with the intention of declaring bankruptcy - if you are intending to set
up a scam from the start it's so much simpler to just disappear and set
up operations elsewhere when things start to get hot (the infamous boiler
room operations).  However, given a company in trouble and a management
with a rather low standard of ethics, it can be very tempting for them to
try to milk the company for all it's worth once it's obvious that the
company is not going to make it.  I've seen this happen several times in
reasonably close proximity (and been one of the creditors holding the bag
in one case).  Many people that I know have surprised me - in both good and
bad ways - when faced with this sort of business crisis or the threat of
it.  You don't really know what someone is made of until they've gone
through some real difficulties.

						Bruce C. Wright