[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is there really no better value?

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) (04/23/89)

Tandy's latest motto has been developed to give the illusion that the
their computer products are the best value on the market... but is this
truth in advertising or just marketing hype... Let us examine Tandy's
products in comparison to other vendors to determine if:

		"Is there really no better value?"

First let us look at the Tandy 1000 series, the latest incarnation being the
1000 SL and TL computers.

(These prices are based on the price at the CSM Bookstore and thus represent
an educational pricing... this is done SINCE I have no idea what the pricing
for these computers is outside of the educational market and most Usenet
readers are academics anyway!)

For aproximently $900 the Tandy SL
8088 - 8 Mhz.
1 5 1/4" 360K floppy
CGA graphics (ok... expanded CGA... whoopie)
Parallel / Serial ports (Tandy Standard)
384K Ram
3.2 (?) Dos IN ROM
DeskMate (which probably should count against it!) IN ROM

To make this a usable computer one needs:
CM-11 CGA Monitor - $399
upgade to 640K - $189
20 Meg HardDisk - $599

Total System: ~ $2100

Compare this with:
IBM PS/2 model 30 package:
8086 - 8 Mhz  (8086 has improved throughput over 8088)
VGA!!!
Analog Color Monitor
Parallel / Serial ports (industry standard)
640K Ram
1 3 1/2" 720K floppy
20 Meg Internal HD
Dos 4.01
MS Windows
MS Works (Not a whole lot better than Deskcrate but at least the communications
	  work with our VAX!)

Cost: $1800

Gee... there goes Tandy's value right out the window!

Why........?????
Tandy's peripherals are the most expensive in the industry... they sell their
computers at Kmart prices (and with Kmart quality I might add) and sell their
peripherals like they were Apple!

Lets look at another comparison:

Tandy 1000 TL vs. Model 30/286

While an equivelent system is impossible just on the basis of Tandy's CGA vs.
IBM's VGA the cost of the 286 package vs. Tandy is roughly the same $2100
(assuming a 20 meg. HD is added to the Tandy)...
But with the IBM you get Windows, Word, and Excel... and VGA graphics...
With the Tandy you get DeskMate... and Tandy's 16 color graphics for games!
need I say more!

The question is:

Why would anyone but a fool buy Tandy, seeing as how there are so many better
values?

And this is coming from a person who 4 years ago was a Tandy evangelist!

Joe Applegate
President - Colorado Color Computer Club
President - Denver Metro MSDOS Users Group
PC Coordinator - Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO

ugkamins@sunybcs.uucp (John Kaminski) (04/23/89)

In article <1454@csm9a.UUCP> japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
=>Tandy's latest motto has been developed to give the illusion that the
=>their computer products are the best value on the market... but is this
=>truth in advertising or just marketing hype... Let us examine Tandy's
=>products in comparison to other vendors to determine if:
=>
=>		"Is there really no better value?"
=>
=>First let us look at the Tandy 1000 series, the latest incarnation being the
=>1000 SL and TL computers.
=>
=>(These prices are based on the price at the CSM Bookstore and thus represent
=>an educational pricing... this is done SINCE I have no idea what the pricing
=>for these computers is outside of the educational market and most Usenet
=>readers are academics anyway!)
=>
=>For aproximently $900 the Tandy SL
=>8088 - 8 Mhz.
Try again.  8086
=>1 5 1/4" 360K floppy
=>CGA graphics (ok... expanded CGA... whoopie)
It's not Tandy's fault you choose not to use the extended capabilities.
=>Parallel / Serial ports (Tandy Standard)
=>384K Ram
=>3.2 (?) Dos IN ROM
Try again. 3.30
=>DeskMate (which probably should count against it!) IN ROM
Why against it?  Clearly your subjective opinion.
=>
uh......yeah????  Don't choose to include much of the other stuff either.
owell...
=>To make this a usable computer one needs:
=>CM-11 CGA Monitor - $399
Oh? Well, again, your subjectiveness.  Your "useable" is another man's "souped
up."  To me, useable is a VM-4 or -5, OK is a CM-5, and real nice is CM-11
=>upgade to 640K - $189
Hey, only if you need to.  Not everyone needs a full 640K so why make them
pay for it all up front?  Flexibility.  More subjectiveness.
=>20 Meg HardDisk - $599
nice, but not to make it useable.  Subjectiveness again.
=>
=>Total System: ~ $2100
=>
=>Compare this with:
=>IBM PS/2 model 30 package:
Can't say as this would come up to the full functionality of the SL, as you
seem to have personally omitted the other capabilities (sound, setup in
EEPROM, OS in ROM with option to boot from disk, and more)
=>8086 - 8 Mhz  (8086 has improved throughput over 8088)
=>VGA!!!
Yeah?  For which you need a special monitor.  Well, I will submit that this
is becoming more the standard, just as 3.5" floppy. But there still are many,
many CGA programs out there, as well as CGA programs.  Again, why make 'em
pay up front for something they may never need?  Why do you need VGA for your
spreadsheet, for example?
=>Analog Color Monitor
=>Parallel / Serial ports (industry standard)
=>640K Ram
=>1 3 1/2" 720K floppy
=>20 Meg Internal HD
=>Dos 4.01
=>MS Windows
=>MS Works (Not a whole lot better than Deskcrate but at least the communications
=>	  work with our VAX!)
Oh?  I connect to UBVMSA thru UBVMSD just fine with DeskMate Telecom.
=>
=>Cost: $1800
Well......you might want to add on stuff like an A/D + D/A board, etc.
=>
=>Gee... there goes Tandy's value right out the window!
I'm not so sure.  How about support?  Your IBM friends "hold the customer's
hand" like Tandy does every day?  They have the same number of places where
you can get 'em and get 'em fixed when necessary?  I regret that you deal
only with the bad ones of the Tandy bunch, but there are probably just as
many if not more people that are twice as good as the ones you happen to deal
with.  Are your IBM cronies perfect?   A bit super-human perhaps?  Totally
error free?
=>
=>Why........?????
=>Tandy's peripherals are the most expensive in the industry... they sell their
=>computers at Kmart prices (and with Kmart quality I might add) and sell their
KMart must be rather quality conscience then.
=>peripherals like they were Apple!
=>
=>Lets look at another comparison:
=>
=>Tandy 1000 TL vs. Model 30/286
=>
=>While an equivelent system is impossible just on the basis of Tandy's CGA vs.
=>IBM's VGA the cost of the 286 package vs. Tandy is roughly the same $2100
=>(assuming a 20 meg. HD is added to the Tandy)...
=>But with the IBM you get Windows, Word, and Excel... and VGA graphics...
=>With the Tandy you get DeskMate... and Tandy's 16 color graphics for games!
=>need I say more!
Yeah, to me, plenty more.
=>
=>The question is:
=>
=>Why would anyone but a fool buy Tandy, seeing as how there are so many better
=>values?
Well, as someone else on the net pointed out (indirectly I suppose), you are
living in a country of fools, cuz Tandy is #1 in the home market
=>
=>And this is coming from a person who 4 years ago was a Tandy evangelist!
=>
OWELL, just because of 1 misguided soul who was misinformed about compatibility.
=>Joe Applegate
=>President - Colorado Color Computer Club
=>President - Denver Metro MSDOS Users Group
=>PC Coordinator - Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO

You still seem rather steamed that you can't have a current computer by adding
to your old one.  PErhaps this was misinformation on the part of the original
salespeople.  Look, you want the ultimate in your computer, why don't you
go hand wirewrap your own Cray compatible and quit flaming Tandy?  And while
you're at it, take your model T and upgrade it to a Lotus or Porsche.

cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA (Three More Exams) (04/24/89)

Well, I have the 1989 Radio Shack "Technology Book" (hereinafter to
be referred to as the catalog) to give the non-educational prices ...
these are in Canadian dollars, so you might want to tweak the numbers
a little to get them into US funds if you're south of the border.

Well, here goes ...

In article <1454@csm9a.UUCP> japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
>For aproximently $900 the Tandy SL
                  $1599.00 Cdn
>8088 - 8 Mhz.
 Nope ... it's an 8086 (unless the catalog is a typo ... but "8086" appears
 in 3 places on the page)
>1 5 1/4" 360K floppy
>CGA graphics (ok... expanded CGA... whoopie)
 Herc and CGA compatible, with CGA enhancements ... but how many programs
 support those enhancements?
>Parallel / Serial ports (Tandy Standard)
>384K Ram
 This is laughable
>3.2 (?) Dos IN ROM
 3.3
>DeskMate (which probably should count against it!) IN ROM

>To make this a usable computer one needs:
>CM-11 CGA Monitor - $399
                     $699 Cdn
 or CM-5,            $499 Cdn
 or VM-5 monochrome  $249 Cdn
   Of course, it's debatable whether a computer with a CGA is actually
   usable :-)
>upgade to 640K - $189
                  $??? ... they don't list this in the catalog
>20 Meg HardDisk - $599
 Hard disk card  - $899 Cdn

>Total System: ~ $2100
                 $3200 Cdn + memory upgrade

>Compare this with:
>IBM PS/2 model 30 package:
>8086 - 8 Mhz  (8086 has improved throughput over 8088)
 same throughput as 1000SL, unless Tandy screwed the design up

[ ... feature list which is better than Tandy's deleted ... ]

>Cost: $1800

>Gee... there goes Tandy's value right out the window!

Yeah ... you know you're charging far too much when IBM's cheaper than
you are.  I think I could get a 10 MHz 8088 clone with the same features
as the Tandy for under $2000 Cdn ... my 12 MHz AT clone with 44M 25 ms
hard drive, Herc clone, monitor, 640K, 1.2M drive, 2 parallel, 1 serial,
1 game only cost me $2400 Cdn!

>Tandy 1000 TL vs. Model 30/286
>
>While an equivelent system is impossible just on the basis of Tandy's CGA vs.
>IBM's VGA the cost of the 286 package vs. Tandy is roughly the same $2100
>(assuming a 20 meg. HD is added to the Tandy)...
>But with the IBM you get Windows, Word, and Excel... and VGA graphics...
>With the Tandy you get DeskMate... and Tandy's 16 color graphics for games!
>need I say more!

1000 TL:  80286 8 MHz, 640K, DOS 3.3 in ROM, 3-1/2" 720K, 101-key keyboard,
  same enhanced CGA, hi-res RGBI monitor, DeskMate (whoopee), 20M hard card
  costs $3600 Cdn.  By the way, it looks to me like they include 128K of
  video memory in that 640K, so it's really only a 512K machine.

But don't forget one very important feature on the 1000TL:  it comes with
a built-in version of Hangman.  That's gotta be worth at least $12.99! :-)

Has Tandy cleared up the compatibility problems they used to have a few
years ago?

And how about their modem prices - $199.95 Cdn for a 1200 baud half-card
modem?  Or their Logitech serial mouse for 169.95 Cdn (these cost around
$100 in the store where I bought my clone)

I can see why someone might want to buy a name brand computer (because
you figure they'll be there if the thing breaks, and also some people
don't have faith in the quality or legality of clones), but why Tandy
would price their systems above IBM's is beyond me, too.

! Stephen M. Dunn, cs3b3aj@maccs.McMaster.CA ! DISCLAIMER:           !
! I always wanted to be a lumberjack! - M.P. ! I'm only an undergrad !

ahaley@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Alexander Haley) (04/24/89)

	 I am a student at a school that received a Sloan/IBM grant and now
have some PS/2 model 30/286's, a couple model 70's, a personal pageprinter
and a scanner.  I must say that I used to dislike IBM for their high prices,
idiotic setups for their pc's and other things too numerous to list.  It was
only a dislike for personal reasons, if I was given one, I would not have
complained.  This has all changed.  Now, I would refuse anything that has
the IBM name on it.  Everthing that follows is from persomal experience
while trying to set up this lab we have for these pc's, all of my
information has been gleaned from the shoddy uninformative manuals (a VERY
time consuming process), so it is most likely wrong since those manuals are
from IBM.
	What good is a 286 that you can only put one floppy drive into and
only 2 or 3 expansion slots?  I mean once you get your token ring adapter
card, modem and extra memory card in there you have no room for any more of
the gizmos that they have for you.  I mean you can't even add a game port
now... Tandy has two joystick inputs standard.  They sre also extremely
slow!! The model 30/286's have 20 meg hard drives standard, i think.  These
drives must have an access tim of about 100 ms, I mean slow!!  The machines
are also slow.  The model 70's I've been told are 16 MHz.  My machine is a
286 16 MHz and beat the 70's by 2 points on many of the standard
benchmarks.
	Now, the pageprinter.  It is the slowest most ugly peice of crap we
have sitting in that room right now.  It takes about 45 sec. to process a
graph from IBM's own Grapher that runs under windows and then the ppaper
seems to go through it in slo-motion.  For some reason, if you have anything
too complicated graphics-wise, it will barff on you.  This means that if you
have a graph that has 200 points that are scattered with a line connecting
all of them, it will not print, you are stuck with an image on your screen
that you can do nothing with.
	The scanner.  i'm not sure, we did not receive a cable that goes
with it as far as i can tell, unless this cable is the one and in that case,
we need an expansion card which we do not have.
	Also, IBM did not want us to be the first to open any of there
things up.  The sent this dork from Entre computers who could not figure out
why one of the model 70's would not boot with a card that IBM forgot to send
the options disk with, so we did not have the drivers installed.  This guy
did not know what he was doing, and then when i remarked that I thought IBM
asked too much for their stuff that you could do nothing with, he started
jumping all over me and then basically agreed to what I said, but added that
IBM gives "real" support where these mail-order companies will sell you your
computer and then when you call with a problem will say (and I quote him)
"Fuck off."  Well, this has not been my experience.  Also, I much prefer
talking to someone on the phone who knows what they are doing rather than
alling some stupid receptionist and waiting two days for someone who really
doesn't know more about adjusting cards and typing things into a computer
any better than I do come out and tell me I needed to switch this jumper.
Or, even worse, this guy could come out and do something, leave and not me
what the problem is thinking that I am some stupid dork.  Well, I would be
if I bought an IBM.
	Their documentation.  It is worse having IBM documentation than
having no doccumentation at all.  The manuals spend 200 pages just confusing
you, because they give you so little information.  When I asked a
representative of IBM why users were given so little info.  he told me that
they did not want to confuse their costumers too much with extraneous info.
Now, maybe that is a good idea to keep out of the main sections, but it
should be in their somewhere, easily locatable.  I still have not found
anywhere in the DOS 4.01 manual how this use of the extra 384 K can be done
and when it is usable.  BTW if anyones knows, post or email. thanks.
	ok, now that I have slammed on IBM from a personal level, I wwill
say that they try to support their products.  For a big company which did
not want to mess with it and just make a call and let them worry about it,
that's great let tham have it, but with all of the other choices out there,
Tandy being one of them, a normal everyday Joe or a sophisticated college,
CS major would have to be totally stupid and inane to purchase IBM stuff for
personal use.
	Falmes are welcome.  I need to be informed, since IBM can't do it
adequately all by themselves.

					Alex Haley

ahaley@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Alexander Haley) (04/24/89)

my signature was not included to that last one, sorry.

ahaley@hmcvax.bitnet	       |  Why didn't I ITR? It would have been easier
ahaley@jarthur.claremont.edu   |  and would have saved my relationship with
or ahaley@muddcs.claremont.edu |  my parents. (it would have been cheaper)

bevans@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Brian Evans) (04/24/89)

Alex,
	So should I transfer my TL down to the Frosh Lab?  I'm
not looking forward having to consult next year if we are having
so many problems with the PS/2 lab already.

--
Brian Evans			    "In any formula, constants (especially
bevans@hmcvax.bitnet		     those obtained from engineering

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (04/24/89)

In article <1454@csm9a.UUCP>, japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
> (These prices are based on the price at the CSM Bookstore and thus represent
> an educational pricing... this is done SINCE I have no idea what the pricing
> for these computers is outside of the educational market and most Usenet
> readers are academics anyway!)

Speak for yourself, Joe.-)  Besides, what you're saying is that IBM
offers a much steeper educational discount for the package you're
interested in.

> Tandy SL
> CGA graphics (ok... expanded CGA... whoopie)
> IBM PS/2 model 30 package:
> VGA!!!
> Analog Color Monitor

Nope.  The PS/2-30 has MCGA:  320x200x256 colors (same resolution as
Tandy expanded CGA, but with a better palette), 640x480x2 colors, and
CGA modes.  Yes, the text modes have fairly nice characters (*much*
nicer than a CGA monitor can display in only 640x200).  You can add a
VGA card and use it with the PS/2-30's monitor.

> Joe Applegate

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

mark@motcsd.UUCP (Mark Jeghers) (04/24/89)

In article <1454@csm9a.UUCP> japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
>Tandy's latest motto has been developed to give the illusion that the
>their computer products are the best value on the market... but is this

>		"Is there really no better value?"

>For aproximently $900 the Tandy SL [required add-ons deleted]
>Total System: ~ $2100
>
>Compare this with: [PS/2 system description deleted]
>Cost: $1800

>Tandy's peripherals are the most expensive in the industry... they sell their
>computers at Kmart prices (and with Kmart quality I might add) and sell their
>peripherals like they were Apple!

>need I say more!
>Why would anyone but a fool buy Tandy, seeing as how there are so many better
>values?

Look, damnit, if Bill Bixby says they're "clearly superior", then that
GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

You better stop bashing Tandy or the Incredible Hulk is gonna smash your
front door down! :-)

Mark Jeghers
Motorola Computer Systems

ron@vaxnix.UUCP (Ron Light) (04/24/89)

In article <948@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> ahaley@jarthur.UUCP (Alexander Haley) writes:
>	Falmes are welcome.

	Falme (fal - mee) s plu v 1. (slang) one who falmes  adj 2. to falme

falmes to /nev/dull   :-)

greg@ncelvax.UUCP (Greg Ramsey) (04/25/89)

In article <1454@csm9a.UUCP>, japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
> For aproximently $900 the Tandy SL
> 8088 - 8 Mhz.
> 1 5 1/4" 360K floppy
> CGA graphics (ok... expanded CGA... whoopie)
> Parallel / Serial ports (Tandy Standard)
> 384K Ram
> 3.2 (?) Dos IN ROM
> DeskMate (which probably should count against it!) IN ROM

> To make this a usable computer one needs:
> CM-11 CGA Monitor - $399
> upgade to 640K - $189
> 20 Meg HardDisk - $599

> Total System: ~ $2100

> Compare this with:
> IBM PS/2 model 30 package:
> 8086 - 8 Mhz  (8086 has improved throughput over 8088)
> VGA!!!

Last time I checked didn't the Models 25 & 30 only have MCGA
graphics/monitors?
Still better than Tandy CGA but not VGA.

> Analog Color Monitor
> Parallel / Serial ports (industry standard)
> 640K Ram
> 1 3 1/2" 720K floppy
> 20 Meg Internal HD
> Dos 4.01
> MS Windows
> MS Works

> Cost: $1800

This price can often be beat though by watching for sales.
Plus I believe IBM is being much more aggresive wit it's
academic pricing on the model 30, wheras Tandy will probably
give you pretty much the same price in the stores.

> Gee... there goes Tandy's value right out the window!
> Why........?????
> Tandy's peripherals are the most expensive in the industry... they sell their
> computers at Kmart prices (and with Kmart quality I might add) and sell their
> peripherals like they were Apple!

As the husband of a Tandy dealer, we go around and around on just this
point.  Plus they like to go around putting little changes in their
hardware and software so you have to buy ther peripheals and can't use
their software on other machines.  As an example I tried to
boot my true blue with a copy of Tandy's version of MS-DOS and
it came up with the error message "Disk bootable only on Tandy
1000 computer"

> Why would anyone but a fool buy Tandy, seeing as how there are so many better
> values?

 Because of their much more intense and superior marketing to people
 who don't know any better.

 Greg

                    ___                  Greg Ramsey
          _n_n_n____i_i ________         Naval Civil Engineering Lab
         (____________I I______I         Code L54                805/
         /ooOOOO OOOOoo  oo oooo         Port Hueneme, CA 93043  982-4619
--

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) (04/25/89)

In article <2821@pegasus.ATT.COM>, psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
> In article <1454@csm9a.UUCP>, japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
> > (These prices are based on the price at the CSM Bookstore and thus represent
> > an educational pricing... this is done SINCE I have no idea what the pricing
> > for these computers is outside of the educational market and most Usenet
> > readers are academics anyway!)
>
> Speak for yourself, Joe.-)  Besides, what you're saying is that IBM
> offers a much steeper educational discount for the package you're
> interested in.
>
> > Tandy SL
> > CGA graphics (ok... expanded CGA... whoopie)
> > IBM PS/2 model 30 package:
> > VGA!!!
> > Analog Color Monitor
>
> Nope.  The PS/2-30 has MCGA:  320x200x256 colors (same resolution as
> Tandy expanded CGA, but with a better palette), 640x480x2 colors, and
> CGA modes.  Yes, the text modes have fairly nice characters (*much*
> nicer than a CGA monitor can display in only 640x200).  You can add a
> VGA card and use it with the PS/2-30's monitor.

I stand corrected.... but the 30-286's that everyone around here is buying
have full VGA... and both come with an Analog monitor... The Tandy requires
you to buy a monitor!

And as to their expanded CGA, it would be wonderful if there was:
A> real software that supported it... yes, most Games now have a Tandy
graphics mode, but no spreadsheets or graphics programs do... including
Lotus, Grapher, Harvard Graphics, MS Chart, PC Paintbrush, PC Paint,
GEM Paint, Ventura, AutoCad, Halo, or any other graphics program I have
seen... Also graphics libraries completely ignore it... MS C, Quick Basic,
Borland's GDI, etc...
$2K+ for a game machine is a little steep!

Is it any wonder that this school year alone our bookstore has sold over
100 IBM systems and 0 Tandy systems!

In fact our bookstore has been trying to sell the Tandy Demo units it bought
but can't get anyone to pay even the DEMO price!

The only reason Tandy sells so well is theres one on every other corner...
complete with a used car salesman that knows zilch about computers!
But that's ok since most home computer buyers know less... (the Usenet
readership, of course, should be more litterate than most)

			   - Joe Applegate -

    ======================STANDARD DISCLAIMER============================
     All views and opinions are my own and do not represent the views or
     opinions of the Colorado School of Mines, whatever they might be.

cperry@lakesys.UUCP (Christopher Perry) (04/25/89)

You are correct in that when you consider add ons to complete a system,
many of which Tandy bundles (you can only use Tandy boards etc.)
your system price is very high.  Certainly better deals could be
found elsewhere.  Sometime Tandy will mark a computer down half off or
so and its add ons and you can get a somewhat fair price.  Then one
wonders how they can mark it down half off and still make a profit.
Answer, their original prices are a huge rip off.

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (04/25/89)

In article <2821@pegasus.ATT.COM>, psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
> In article <1454@csm9a.UUCP>, japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
> > (These prices are based on the price at the CSM Bookstore and thus represent
> > an educational pricing... this is done SINCE I have no idea what the pricing
> > for these computers is outside of the educational market and most Usenet
> > readers are academics anyway!)
>
> Speak for yourself, Joe.-)  Besides, what you're saying is that IBM
> offers a much steeper educational discount for the package you're
> interested in.

Tandy list prices ARE rather on the high side.

But then, I don't think very many people in their right minds will
buy something expensive from them unless it's on sale.

It's like Sears used to be (I haven't been there since it changed, so
I can't make much of a comment on whether the change is very great):
there, too, the prices tended to be high unless the item was on sale.
But if you could contain yourself until what you wanted WAS on sale,
the discount was sufficient that you could usually pick up pretty
decent stuff at a reasonable price.  I think in a lot of respects
Tandy is similar.

Just my personal observations.

						Bruce C. Wright

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (04/25/89)

In article <1454@csm9a.UUCP> japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:

>Compare this with:
>IBM PS/2 model 30 package:
>8086 - 8 Mhz  (8086 has improved throughput over 8088)
>VGA!!!

This is nonsense.
An IBM PS/2 model 30 has no VGA, but an MCGA.
That's a big difference, because an MCGA is not EGA compatible.
(very frustrating, when I can't run a program that uses
320x200x16; I 'only' have 320x200x256 !!)

csvon@mtsu.UUCP (Von Hall) (04/25/89)

Must you IBM people keep cross-posting to comp.sys.tandy.  I mean if you
want to continue with the insecurities about the IBM-PS/2 do it in you
own newsgroup.  Thanks.

					Von Hall

mchin@homxc.UUCP (M.CHIN) (04/25/89)

From article <281@ncelvax.UUCP>, by greg@ncelvax.UUCP (Greg Ramsey):
> In article <1454@csm9a.UUCP>, japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
>> For aproximently $900 the Tandy SL

Just checked with Marymac Industries Inc.  The Tandy SL can be bought for
$560 delivered to your door.

>> To make this a usable computer one needs:
>> CM-11 CGA Monitor - $399
>> upgade to 640K - $189
>> 20 Meg HardDisk - $599
At least you don't need to buy the keyboard like Apple makes you do :-)

Anyone who is stupid enough to buy their peripherals through Tandy deserves
what they get.  I don't know if the SL has a PC compatible bus, but anyone
who buys a non compatible also deserves what they get.  And for all those
flamers out there, yes Tandy does sell true AT compatible bus as well as
MicroChannel and they are working on an EISA machine and a 386 SX machine.
So, you can buy a 20 Meg drive for only $280 and a CGA monitor for $280.

>> Total System: ~ $2100

If you shop intelligently.  Total System ~ $ 1310.

>> Compare this with:
>> IBM PS/2 model 30 package:

>> Cost: $1800
>
> This price can often be beat though by watching for sales.
> Plus I believe IBM is being much more aggresive wit it's
> academic pricing on the model 30, wheras Tandy will probably
> give you pretty much the same price in the stores.

Not really.  Going by mail order prices, I could maybe come down to $1600
for the machine plus harddisk.  Adding the monitor and software brings the
price to ~$2100.  IBM's educational discount is below the price that they
sell to wholesalers.  No sale ever comes down below the wholesaler's price.
Going out of business sales are an exception.  So, for about $700 less, I
can get a comparable system with lower quality graphics.  Getting a better
monitor costs ~$220 more and a super-EGA/VGA card is only 300.  I still save
some $300 from IBM's price for those of us who DON'T qualify for the
educational discount.  But I wouldn't buy the BS/2-30 in the first place.

> As the husband of a Tandy dealer, we go around and around on just this
> point.  Plus they like to go around putting little changes in their
> hardware and software so you have to buy ther peripheals and can't use
> their software on other machines.  As an example I tried to
> boot my true blue with a copy of Tandy's version of MS-DOS and
> it came up with the error message "Disk bootable only on Tandy
> 1000 computer"

Again, buying a non-compatible computer is a big mistake.  My version of DOS
3.30 boots up just fine on my IBM PC-1.  And all my peripherals are non
Tandy products.  It works just fine.  A lot easier than my IBM PC-1 I might
add.  Also, the PS/2-30 is a MicroChannel machine I believe.  Making it also
somewhat non-compatible.  There are pitifully few MicroChannel VGA cards and
Modems are also in scarce supply.

Michael Chin			|  It could probably be shown by facts
AT&T Bell Laboratories		|  and figures that there is no distinctly
att!homxc!mchin 		|  native American criminal class
Arpa:  mchin@homxc.ATT.COM	|  except Congress. - Mark Twain

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (04/25/89)

My experience, having owned, or been close to, 5 Tandy computers, a True-Blue
IBM PC, numerous mail-order clones, and a mail-order CP/M machine. And also
having visited many computer stores contemplating computer purchases.

1. The mail order establishments are the most knowledgeable, followed by
   the Tandy Computer Centers, followed by the local computer stores.

2. Tandy computer repair is much less expensive than the competition, and
   faster as well.  Mail order repair is only competitive if the user has
   the expertise and the vendor agrees to cross-ship components.

3. No mater what the brand, you have less trouble (less finger pointing)
   if you buy from a single vendor, even though that typically costs more.

For these reasons, I had my father buy a Tandy computer years ago (a TRS-80,
Model III, this was before PC days), since he is a non-technical user who
wanted a box that worked, and if it didn't he could get fixed fast. They also
lived 3000 miles away, too far for me to help out.   He has had no regrets.
Years ago I bought a Tandy 1000 to do some contract software
development on because I felt that the IBM-PC would be short lived (how
wrong I was!) and I didn't want to waste time piecing together a super system.

But last fall my parents moved across the street.  My father needed a
PC/AT clone, having outgrown the TRS-80 (he had four floppy drives on it!).
I built him a clone system, since he now has a knowledgeable vendor close by!

The moral of the story is: for those of us in the know (probably everybody
reading this) Tandy, IBM, and even Compaq, does not make much sense.  But
for the "unwashed masses" Tandy is a safe bet.  (Note that while no one
has ever been "fired" for buying IBM, plenty of people have been "burned").

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Now, More Than Ever, Standard Disclaimers Apply

gmadison@pnet02.cts.com (George Madison) (04/26/89)

As a recent graduate of Pomona College (in the same system as Harvey Mudd), I
want to amplify what Alex Haley said about dismal results from IBM equipment.
I could not BELIEVE the price P.C. paid per unit for a lousy 2-floppy PS/2
Model 30 -- utterly laughable.  Even after adding in the cost of a 3rd party
VGA board to a comparable Tandy 1000, Tandy's RETAIL price was comparable (a
bit lower, actually) and the price that P.C. would have gotten was
significantly LOWER.  I also heard that they were planning on spending $750
PER CARD for AppleTalk cards for the Model 30's when the TandyLink card was
going for $150.  (The Model 30's are in a PC lab with a batch of Mac SE's,
hence the use of AppleTalk.)

I don't know where some people are getting the weird idea that Tandy is more
expensive than IBM, but it just isn't true.  Maybe if you compare IBM discount
educational prices to Tandy's retail... but not if you compare HONESTLY.

|George Madison, a/k/a George The Bear Cub, a/k/a Furr     ** BEAR POWER **|
|INET: gmadison@pnet02.cts.com   8-{)>   ames!elroy!pnet02.cts.com!gmadison|
|GEnie: GEORGE.M     Arctophiles & Barbophiles Unite!     PLink: BEARDLOVER|

"I knew you were up to something, though I confess I hadn't thought
     of necrophilia."
                       -- Prince Barin to Princess Aura, _Flash Gordon_

pak@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Patricia A. Korn) (04/26/89)

Someone asked about a gear which controls the paper feed on the
CGP-115, a small printer/plotter which used to be sold by R.S. and was
commonly owned by people with Cocos.  The part number is either
ARA0563 or ARA0565, according to a note I have from the last time I
had to by this part (a common problem on this printer).  National
parts should be able to supply you with it for about a dollar. In the
future, be sure you NEVER try to advance the paper by pulling on it.
This will damage the gear.

Pat

) (04/27/89)

In article <161@mtsu.UUCP> csvon@mtsu.UUCP (Von Hall) writes:
:Must you IBM people keep cross-posting to comp.sys.tandy.  I mean if you
:want to continue with the insecurities about the IBM-PS/2 do it in you
:own newsgroup.  Thanks.

   Uh ... I thought that the topics being discussed were the IBM PC
family more or less (which is comp.sys.ibm.pc), and the Tandy family
(which would, if logic prevails, be comp.sys.tandy).

flame {

   If you don't like Tandy products being discussed in comp.sys.tandy,
may I suggest that you either unsubscribe or type K (assuming you're in
RN) to add this thread to your kill file.

}

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (04/27/89)

In article <6464@homxc.UUCP> mchin@homxc.UUCP (M.CHIN) writes:

>add.  Also, the PS/2-30 is a MicroChannel machine I believe.  Making it also

No. It isn't
The PS/2 model 30 isn't really a PS2 :-).

mikei@ctdi.UUCP (Mike Israel) (05/08/89)

In article <193300123@trsvax> reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:

>All in all, you seem to be about three years behind the times on your
>knowledge of Tandy products.  Judging by what I've seen since I've worked
>at Tandy, there has been a tremendous effort to rectify exactly the types
>of things you've been coplaining about.  Virtually every deficiency you
>have stated for your 1000A no longer exists on the 1000 SL or 1000 TL.

In article <1454@csm9a.UUCP> japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
>Tandy's latest motto has been developed to give the illusion that the
>their computer products are the best value on the market... but is this
>truth in advertising or just marketing hype... Let us examine Tandy's
>products in comparison to other vendors to determine if:
>
>		"Is there really no better value?"
>

>Tandy's peripherals are the most expensive in the industry... they sell their
>computers at Kmart prices (and with Kmart quality I might add) and sell their
>peripherals like they were Apple!

Exactly the point, Tandy is willing to make fixes only to insure that they
remain a feasable alternative for NEW customers.  They do not seem willing to
support the machines they have already fielded with any form of upgrade
path.  When enhancements are offered they are sold at grossly over-inflated
prices.

I bought a 1000A with 128k of memory.  Tandy wanted somewhere around $600
for a memory card which still would not give me 640k.  That was only $200
less than I paid for the computer itself.  Thank goodness for the folks at
Zuckerboard.

Many of Tandy's designs seem intentionally designed to chain
Tandy owners to the doorway of their local Radio Shaft.  To add a
second floppy drive meant modifiying the cable so the connector would be
long enough to reach a standard, non-Tandy drive.  I had to actually solder
a hard disk controller to make it operational on a Tandy, my alternative
was to pay twice as much for a Tandy 20 meg drive as I did for my 40 meg
drive.  The short slots are an issue all its own.

Tandy could afford to play these games when clones were still a risky
business, at least they were a reputable vendor.  These days a company
like Dell is a MUCH better value.

						mikei@ctdi

				   -- I think therefore I am confused! --