[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Diskettes under X-Ray

harnyo@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (04/29/89)

Is there anyone who loses his diskette data because of the X-ray
machine in the airport ? How do you then go around it ?
Also, if you send diskette through mail, wouldn't that automatically
goes through X-ray machine as well ?

Any info is much appreciated.

Andy
harnyo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (04/30/89)

In article <10570@netnews.upenn.edu>, harnyo@grad1.cis.upenn.edu writes:
> Is there anyone who loses his diskette data because of the X-ray
> machine in the airport ? How do you then go around it ?

I hear it's not the X-rays themselves that do the damage.  Instead,
it's the big magnets used to generate the X-rays.

I've never had a problem with taking a box of disks out of my luggage,
opening the box, and having it hand-inspected.  When I was really
paranoid (carrying back-up software for a trade show), I had one set of
disks in my carry-on bag, and another in someone else's carry-on, and
a third shipped with the hardware.

> Also, if you send diskette through mail, wouldn't that automatically
> goes through X-ray machine as well ?

I doubt it.  You can mail exposed film, and that's got to be more
sensitive to X-rays than magnetic media.  (Yeah, I know the X-ray guys
at the airport say their machines won't fog your film.  They're from
the government, they're here to help us.-)

> Andy, harnyo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

emmonsl@csusac.uucp (L. Scott Emmons) (05/01/89)

I have always taken my diskette box out of my carryon and shown it to the
nice man with the officiallookingbadge to inspect.  On the one time that
I accidentally DID run some disks throught the Xray machine, I didn't
experience any dataloss problems.

As far as sending disks through the mail, it is usually a good idea to write:
Fragile magnetic media.  Handle with care.  Keep from motors and other
sources of electromagnetism.  Etc Etc Etc.

		lse
		"No sig's enough sig for me"

timothym@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Timothy D Margeson) (05/02/89)

Hi,

Been through several X-RAY machines at airports here in the States, never have
seen a problem. This goes for several of my co-horts who travel more than I do
on business.

International ports in England and Germany weren't too bad either, but tend to
use higher doses that their US counterparts. That also follows for Amsterdam.

--
Tim Margeson (206)253-5240
PO Box 3500  d/s C1-022                          @@   'Who said that?'

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/03/89)

In article <4588@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM#, timothym@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Timothy D Margeson) writes:
# Hi,
#
# Been through several X-RAY machines at airports here in the States, never have
# seen a problem. This goes for several of my co-horts who travel more than I do
# on business.
#
# International ports in England and Germany weren't too bad either, but tend to
# use higher doses that their US counterparts. That also follows for Amsterdam.
#
# Tim Margeson (206)253-5240

X-rays are the problem (too short a frequency to bother magnetic media) --
it's the very large magnets used in SOME X-ray machines that can be
the problem.

I never take chances.
--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Governments that don't trust most people with weapons, deserve no trust.

pete@bally.Bally.COM (Pete Gregory) (05/09/89)

In article <1295@optilink.UUCP>, cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> X-rays are the problem (too short a frequency to bother magnetic media) --
> it's the very large magnets used in SOME X-ray machines that can be
> the problem.
The motors that drive the belts that transport your goods through the xray
machines may in some cases emit quite a strong magnetic field.
> I never take chances.
Don't blame you.
--
pete@bally.COM (bally.UUCP)	::              ________
Bally Systems, 			::         |\ /          \