[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Repost

mdlawler@bsu-cs.UUCP (Mike Lawler) (02/08/89)

I recently posted two news articles requesting information about NEC chips,
the 102 key keyboard, and TP 5.0.  Our system went down right after I posted
the articles and when it came we received a mail message from another site
several times because the mail went into an infinite loop.  When the mail was
cleaned up I might have lost any replies that any you happened to send to me
so can you please resend them.  Basically my questions were if there were any
other NEC chips besides the v20 and v30?  How compatable are they?  What is the
difference between the v20 and the v30?  How can I compile a file with TP 5.0
so that it can be turned into a .com file?  I am blind so I can't read the
manual because Borland hasn't got them finished on disk yet.  Also has anyone
out there had any experience with Zoom modems, award AT bios, or Segate st125
drives?  I have all of these things and I want to know how good they are.  My
modem is a 2400 baud and my Bios is version 3.03.  Finally I have an extra
key between my left alt and ctrl key.  Is there a way I can access this key?
I want to use it in Prokey macros or to replace the Left-shift right-shift key
conbination of a TSR program that I have.  Can someone mail me the source code
to do this or better yet source code that will allow Prokey to access this
combination with in a macro.  I have Prokey 4.0.  Thanks!!

silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) (02/09/89)

The NEC V20 and V30 are essentially the same chip, except that the V20
has an 8-bit data path, so it replaces the 8088, and the V30 has a 16
bit data path, so it replaces the 8086.  Note that the two are not
interchangeable.  Secondly, there are no other NEC chips (i.e. for
upgrading 80286 or 386 machines).  There is no such drive as the ST125,
it is the ST225, and in case you haven't been reading all the flames here,
it seems to be a bit of a lemon...

Andy Silverman
Internet: silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
CompuServe: 72261,531

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (05/09/89)

There may have been some delays and problems in the router feeding
the postings from Finland so I shall repost my recent messages.  If
you have seen them previously, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

From ts Tue May  9 09:17:39 EET DST 1989
Article 3388 of comp.sys.ibm.pc:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: TS-programs at University of Vaasa
Date: 7 May 89 08:23:46 GMT

Here is the latest (7-May-89) contents of the PD programs available
by anonymous ftp from 128.214.12.3 directory /pc/ts

          ASCII files:
          -----------
0contents     This file
0news         Latest news about the files in /pc/ts directory
MARKER        Author's marker, not downloadable
tsarc16.txt   Details of the contents of each package

          BINARY files:
          ------------

ts1st14.arc   Statistics: Univariate statistical measures.
ts2st14.arc   Statistics: Multiple regression analysis.
ts3st12.arc   Statistics: Transformations of observations.
ts4st12.arc   Statistics: Correlation analysis.
tsbits16.arc  Base conversions, decimal bit calculations.
tscdar10.arc  Perpetual calendar in English and Finnish.
tsdemo12.arc  Assorted graphics demonstrations of functions.
tsfcom20.arc  A set of programs for manipulating text files.
tsf2cm15.arc  Comparison of two files, etc.
tsfilt12.arc  Programs for filtering messages and log files.
ts2flt10.arc  Make your own filters. Also a proper detab filter.
tsfima12.arc  Programs of financial mathematics.
tsfunc13.arc  Calculates, tabulates, and plots your functions.
tsgame12.arc  Three more or less educational games.
tsgmeb10.arc  A second package of more or less educational games. (forthcoming)
tsjog10.arc   A simple calculator for a jogging enthusiast.
tskerm20.arc  Keypads, .bats and logging for MsKermit.
tslin24.arc   Linear programming and linear goal programming.
tsmatr10.arc  Standard matrix calculations. Product, inverse, etc.
tsnum12.arc   Various programs in numerical analysis.
tspell19.arc  A full-fledged spelling checker for English texts.
tspfon28.arc  Utilities and advice for Procomm Plus (popular).
tsprn11.arc   Printing text files with Diconix and Zenith laptop.
tsutil25.arc  Assorted command-like programs as PC utilities.
ts2utl13.arc  More assorted command-like programs as PC utilities.

euro01e.gif   Vaasa on the map of Europe, an EGA picture
euro01v.gif   Vaasa on the map of Europe, a VGA picture
timo01e.gif   The author, an EGA picture (get /pc/pd/gif/cshow6.arc)
timo01v.gif   The author, a VGA picture  (get /pc/pd2/vgif40.zip)
vaasa.inf     Statistics about Finland, Vaasa, and University of Vaasa

From ts Tue May  9 09:17:41 EET DST 1989
Article 3174 of comp.sys.ibm.pc:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: PROCOMM PLUS problem
Date: 30 Apr 89 14:38:00 GMT

In article <12324@hodge.UUCP> jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) writes:
>The communications program Procomm Plus V1.1B has a feature that
>is mapped to the back quote (`) key.  It's a pop-up menu that allows
>you to do things while on line, ect.  This is fine, but occasionally
>I need to transmit a back quote character.  How do I disable/re-map
>the back quote function so I can transmit the back quote character.
>It has nothing to do with the translation table; it only translates
>received characters, not transmitted ones.

Invoke the set-up facility by pressing ALT-S and select the general
options menu and reset the menu line key.  Should be as simple as
that.
Prof. Timo Salmi
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

From ts Tue May  9 09:17:42 EET DST 1989
Article 3167 of comp.sys.ibm.pc:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: Procomm 2.4.2
Date: 30 Apr 89 07:34:53 GMT

In article <2769@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
>Got a question about Procomm 2.4.2.  When I use it as a vt100 terminal
>here at work, it will get permanently trashed (stack overflow error)
>if you hit the "Ctrl" and "Break" keys at the same time.  That's the
>break sequence with SmarTerm 220, which most everybody uses here, and
>both I and another well-intentioned person have accidentally trashed
>Procomm trying to unfreeze my system.  Yeah, I know the obvious solution
>is to make sure I and others don't hit those keys, but is there a
>more positive way to fix this, like reconfiguring the break key?

Here is the first crude solution that comes to mind even if I have
not tested whether it really works in your problem.  (I do not see
why it should not.) Put the following command in your config.sys
file: break=off

Prof. Timo Salmi
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

From ts Tue May  9 09:17:43 EET DST 1989
Article 3116 of comp.sys.ibm.pc:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: How do you turn off the PC's BEEP?
Date: 29 Apr 89 05:13:12 GMT

In article <1544@wjvax.UUCP> mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:
>Does anyone have a utility (TSR?) that controls the beep?  Occasionally
>I would like to turn off the sound on my PC.  I know that some personal
>computers are equipped with some kind of ON/OFF switch on their front
>panel, but IBM's don't have them.

Get /pc/pd2/silence.com by anonymous ftp from 128.214.12.3.
(My apologies to readers if this posting came out a second time.)
Prof. Timo Salmi
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

From ts Tue May  9 09:17:44 EET DST 1989
Article 3074 of comp.sys.ibm.pc:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: HD defragmenter
Date: 28 Apr 89 04:24:58 GMT

>   Anybody know of a reliable public-domain or shareware HD
>defragmenter? (or whatever it is that they're called -- my brain lost

The most efficient freeware defragmenter is sweeping with DEL *.*
(I am contrite, but I really could not resist it.)

From ts Tue May  9 09:17:45 EET DST 1989
Article 3069 of comp.sys.ibm.pc:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: DSZ Problem with COM3 IRQs
Date: 27 Apr 89 21:37:06 GMT

  DSZ is an external file transfer program which can be used in
conjunction with telecommunication programs not including Z-modem.
I have the following problem.  I would like to download through port
com3 which means using command DSZ CON port 3 -rz.  My problem is
that I have had to reconfigure port 3 to use IRQ2, and I will not
change this.  The DSZ manual does not tell the option for giving the
irq to DSZ.  It only hints that it is possible.  Would anyone know
the correct parameter.
  (Just in case: I am not looking for trivial answers like: use
Telix, it has Z-modem; or use a different IRQ, or something equally
trite.)