[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard Drive Problems...Repost

msb@hal.UUCP (Monty S. Baveja) (05/05/89)

Last week I installed a 120MB RLL Seagate drive in a HP Vectra RS/16.  We
are using an Adaptec controller with it which is supposed to be only for
80MB drives.  After talking to Adaptec and Seagate people they said that the
controller will work.  And so it did.  But, now that the machine is up and
running we are running into problems with the A: drive.  I am trying to
load some software on the D: partition and it copies the first couple of
floppies fine but then it copies a floppy with the names but with 0 bytes
in the files.  Then it resumes normal application again.

	I have tried this with some other floppies too, and each time it
does the same thing.  I have no idea why?  After watching TRON last night
I think it is the Master Control Program making my life misreable.  Does
anyone out there have any ideas about what is going on? or what my next
course of action should be?

	Thanks in advance because, I know there is someone else out there
who has had the same problem as me.

		Monty Baveja (msb@hal.cwru.edu)

P.S. : We used ONTRAK software to partition the drive.  The controller number
       is ACB-2372B

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (05/09/89)

In article <348@hal.UUCP> msb@hal.UUCP (Monty S. Baveja) writes:
<
<Last week I installed a 120MB RLL Seagate drive in a HP Vectra RS/16.  We
<are using an Adaptec controller
<we are running into problems with the A: drive.  I am trying to
<load some software on the D: partition and it copies the first couple of
<floppies fine but then it copies a floppy with the names but with 0 bytes
<in the files.  Then it resumes normal application again.
<
<P.S. : We used ONTRAK software to partition the drive.  The controller number
<       is ACB-2372B

DON'T USE ANYTHING BUT DEBUG, FDISK and FORMAT to set up your drive.  You
just plain don't need the DiskManager from Ontrack Systems.  Just read the
little instruction sheet that came with the 2372B and you're on your way...

kEITHe

PS - good luck with the Seagate... but it could be worse: could be a
     Miniscribe.  I just found out - the hard way - that a 6085 won't
     "work and play well" with the 2372B, either (that's in addition
     to the 3053's.  I'm sticking to Maxtor's and Micropolises

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (05/09/89)

In article <5098@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>In article <348@hal.UUCP> msb@hal.UUCP (Monty S. Baveja) writes:
><P.S. : We used ONTRAK software to partition the drive.  The controller number
><       is ACB-2372B
>
>DON'T USE ANYTHING BUT DEBUG, FDISK and FORMAT to set up your drive.  You
>just plain don't need the DiskManager from Ontrack Systems.  Just read the
>little instruction sheet that came with the 2372B and you're on your way...

I must add to Keith's remark, that you need to use DOS version >= 3.3, which
contains the partitioning logic.  The 2372B controller even handles drives with
more than 1024 cylinders, so the combination of 2372B (not "A", btw) and DOS
3.3 will handle drives of any size without DiskManager or  other disk
partitioning programs (and I used to be a happy user of Vfeature Deluxe).

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply