[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Directory management tools

coleman@lll-lcc.UUCP (Sam Coleman) (05/08/89)

I use (and love) a program called Directory Magic distributed by PC Computing
(free with subscription).  It runs under DOS 3.x, but not under 4.0, apparently
due to the change in directory formats.  Is there a version for 4.0, or some
other commercial product that does similar stuff?

If you haven't seen this particular package, but know of something else,
Directory Magic, using single keystrokes in most cases:

   Displays directory structure as a tree (similar to Norton utilities),
   Creates, deletes, renames directories, makes directory the current dir,
   Displays contents of directory, with attributes, sorted as you like,
   Copys, deletes, moves files, individually or the ones I mark,
   Changes attributes,
   Allows you to view, even execute, files, with one keystroke!

There's more, but those are the features I like. Beats the DOS 4.0 shell by
miles.  No, I have no connection with PC Computing.  I'd really like to find
competing products that might do even more.  Thanks.

Sam Coleman
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
coleman@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

russ@pyr.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL SHACKELFORD) (05/09/89)

In article <2463@lll-lcc.UUCP>, coleman@lll-lcc.UUCP (Sam Coleman) writes:

> I use (and love) a program called Directory Magic distributed by PC Computing
> (free with subscription).  It runs under DOS 3.x, but not under 4.0, apparently
> due to the change in directory formats.  Is there a version for 4.0, or some
> other commercial product that does similar stuff?

Xtree-Pro (discount: $60) is the best I've seen at such things AND
it works with everything.  Plain old Xtree can be had for $35 and does
most everything but is limited to about 2K files per disk...

russ@pyr.gatech.edu

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (05/09/89)

In article <2463@lll-lcc.UUCP> coleman@lll-lcc.UUCP (Sam Coleman) writes:

>I use (and love) a program called Directory Magic distributed by PC Computing
>(free with subscription).  It runs under DOS 3.x, but not under 4.0, apparently
>due to the change in directory formats.  Is there a version for 4.0, or some
>other commercial product that does similar stuff?

Yes.

P.C. Tools DeLuxe v. 5.?