[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Dynamic Loading

hutch@celerity.uucp (Jim Hutchison) (05/11/89)

In article <746@boing.UUCP> dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:
>In article <6793@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>Amiga shared libraries, fonts, and device drivers are all demand-loaded.  Any
>>more sophisticated form of demand loading should be, IMHO, based on a hardware
>>driven virtual memory manager.
>
>I think we could granularize the demand loading a bit further. When a
>demand loaded library is opened it presently loads all the functions.
>We could instead just load stubs that would then load individual
>functions as they are actually used.

That would seem to be similar to what Dave is suggesting.  Or atleast it
has possibilities.  You could fault in chunks of the library as they were
called.  Now whether you "fault" them in by having a stub load the chunks,
or a memory management routine is...a matter of whether or not you have an
MMU, eh? :-)  Could this feature be snuck into scatter loading, by pointing
all unfaulted-in chunks at a loader?  Pardon me if I have missed the point.

/*    Jim Hutchison   		{dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!celerity!hutch  */
/*    Disclaimor:  I am not an official spokesman for FPS computing   */