[comp.sys.ibm.pc] looking for 5 slot AT motherboard

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (04/27/89)

We are looking for 286 (or even 386) motherboards that will fit into
an IBM *PC* case. All the ones we've tracked down so far have the XT
slot spacing, and thus won't let us put in any cards.

We are well aware that it would make more sense to just buy an AT clone,
but due to politics we can't do that. We are allowed to "upgrade" the
units, but not *replace* them. <sigh>

Any suggestions will be welcomed, we need to do something as some of these
units are starting to fail in ways that aren't worth fixing. (But due to the
politics involved, we will have to fix them. Grrr!)

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (04/28/89)

In article <1372@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
|We are looking for 286 (or even 386) motherboards that will fit into
|an IBM *PC* case. All the ones we've tracked down so far have the XT
|slot spacing, and thus won't let us put in any cards.

I think you're SOL. But you could buy a new case with the excuse
that you want a reset button or something and then get the new
motherboard. As long as you're using the same video, keyboard,
monitor, and disk, it's still just a upgrade.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"In California, the reward for saving water is a lower quota."

adam@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Adam R. Iles) (04/28/89)

In article <1372@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
>We are looking for 286 (or even 386) motherboards that will fit into
>an IBM *PC* case. All the ones we've tracked down so far have the XT
>slot spacing, and thus won't let us put in any cards.

You may want to check out the Hauppauge 386 motherboards.  PC-Mag did a
review of 386 motherboards over a year ago, and it seems like this board
should do what you want.  A recent add in PC-Mag lists 1(800)443-6284 as
their number.  (Yes they are reported as having a five slot board.)

I've never used (or even seen :-) their product, but I also haven't heard
complaints about it.  Comments anyone?

--

        Any opinions stated above may, or may not, refect those
        of any sane person living, dead, or just sleeping.

       Adam R. Iles:	adam@utgpu
                        adam@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (04/28/89)

[poster looking for 5-slot 80286 replacment motherboard to upgrade
5-slot 8088 machine]

They exist.  There is a 5-slot board called variously Bullet or
Wavemate, which fits your machine. It is kind of a hybrid with only
8-bit slots and a 4.77 HZ buss (so your slow PC cards work, they
say). It accepts 1 meg of ram and devotes the excess 384 K to
HD caching. It allows use of the original PC keyboard.  One source
is DP computers in alt Lake City, Utah (see their ad in Computer
Shopper).  Hauppage's '386 motherboards also come 5-slot models.
There may be other 5-slot models that I'm unaware of.

Have not used any of the above but have called DP, and have received
a reply from someone who used their board and was satisfied with it
as an interim solution.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP           919 286 0411

mwilcox@pcocd2.intel.com (Mike Wilcox ~) (05/12/89)

In article <1372@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
>We are looking for 286 (or even 386) motherboards that will fit into
>an IBM *PC* case. All the ones we've tracked down so far have the XT
>slot spacing, and thus won't let us put in any cards.

check out the BULLET-286 mother board from CDS Advanced Computer
Products. (408)437-1003

Just got a 10 mhz 8 slot board for $219.00 + tax and shipping.

Uses all of your existing PC or XT periph. cards and your existing
keyboard. Comes in four varieties 8 or 10 mhz, 5 or 8 slot.

order only toll free (800)548-2644

so far mine runs like a champ.

Mike

Mike Wilcox                    *  Intel does not speak for me and I do
Intel Corp.                    *  not speak for Intel. So there.
Folsom CA                      *