[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ARLL

caromero@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (C. Antonio Romero) (05/12/89)

In article <5112@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>I evaluated the Perstore "ARLL" (Advanced RLL) controller and
>decided against it in favor of (an Adaptec) standard RLL that can
>achieve a 1:1 interleave and hence higher transfer rate to/from the
>disk.

It looks (from what little I've seen about ARLL) as if it squeezes
substantially more onto each disk than RLL does... does a drive have to
be specially certified to take advantage of this reliably, or can one
get away with an RLL-certified drive? Also, who if anyone sells drives
that are reliable with ARLL controllers?

-Antonio Romero          romero@confidence.princeton.edu