[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Problem with AutoCAD v. 2.17b

I am having a little problem with ACAD and I hope someone can help me.
I am running ACAD v. 2.17b on an AT clone with 1 MEG RAM and a 40 MEG
hard disk.  It used to work ok but now, when I try to load a drawing, it
starts to draw on the screen and then stops and says it can't read the
hard disk.  I get the usual message "abort, retry, fail".  When I press
one of these I get a message:  "Fatal error, disk is full"

I still have over 20 MEG of space free on my HD.  I can't understand why
this isn't working.  I have used this ACAD before on this HD with no
problems.  I also have no problems running any other software.

I should probably say that I am using MS-DOS 4.01.  I don't recall if I
used ACAD after I formated my HD for the full 40 MEG or if I only ran it
when it was partitioned to 32 MEG.  I don't think this is the problem
but I have been wrong before.

Thanks for any help.  I am not very experienced with ACAD but would like
to learn it.

Greg Cook
cook@frith.egr.msu.edu        gcook@hours.cem.msu.edu

huangch@eecs.nwu.edu (Chih-Hao Huang) (04/21/89)

In / usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) /  8:36 pm  Apr 20, 1989 /
>I am having a little problem with ACAD and I hope someone can help me.
>I am running ACAD v. 2.17b on an AT clone with 1 MEG RAM and a 40 MEG
>hard disk.  It used to work ok but now, when I try to load a drawing, it
>starts to draw on the screen and then stops and says it can't read the
>hard disk.  I get the usual message "abort, retry, fail".  When I press
>one of these I get a message:  "Fatal error, disk is full"
>
>I still have over 20 MEG of space free on my HD.  I can't understand why
>this isn't working.  I have used this ACAD before on this HD with no
>problems.  I also have no problems running any other software.
>
>I should probably say that I am using MS-DOS 4.01.  I don't recall if I
>used ACAD after I formated my HD for the full 40 MEG or if I only ran it
>when it was partitioned to 32 MEG.  I don't think this is the problem
>but I have been wrong before.
>
>Thanks for any help.  I am not very experienced with ACAD but would like
>to learn it.
>
>Greg Cook
>cook@frith.egr.msu.edu        gcook@hours.cem.msu.edu
>

>----------

ACAD creates invisible files for temporary use.
These files would not be reported by "dir".
When ACAD terminates *normally*, it is responsible for those files
(either remove or rename, or whatever).
However, if ACAD terminates *abnormally* ( power failure, or quit-by-
turning-off-the-power, etc.) these files would remain in-accessible.

To deal with them, use some disk management utilities, like Norton, to
identify and remove those files.

Chih-Hao Huang		EECS Dept. at Northwestern University, IL
huangch@eecs.nwu.edu

root@tscs.UUCP (Admin) (05/12/89)

In article <3580013@eecs.nwu.edu> huangch@eecs.nwu.edu (Chih-Hao Huang) writes:
>In / usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) /  8:36 pm  Apr 20, 1989 /
>>I am having a little problem with ACAD and I hope someone can help me.
>>
>>I should probably say that I am using MS-DOS 4.01.  I don't recall if I
>>used ACAD after I formated my HD for the full 40 MEG or if I only ran it
>>when it was partitioned to 32 MEG.  I don't think this is the problem
>>but I have been wrong before.

Autodesk does not recommend using DOS 4.x.  It yields unusual results as
you have observed.

If you need greater that 32Mbs, use Compaq DOS 3.31.  This DOS version
allows for DOS partitions greater than 32Mb and IS supported by Autodesk!!

-Steve

Stephen Gerard  -  Total Support Computer Systems  -  Tampa  -  (813) 876-5990
UUCP: gerard@tscs					   FAX: (813) 871-2783
US-MAIL: Post Office Box 15395 - Tampa, Florida  33684-5395