[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS is fast? followup

jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) (05/08/89)

   Argh. I went and shot my mouth off, handily forgetting that, at least
in the case of the video, it is more the BIOS's fault than DOS. So, let
me expand the question: Is there anything that DOS and/or the BIOS are
generally recognized as being GOOD at?

   Lesson for the day: think before you post. :-)

--
James W. Birdsall  jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU  jwbirdsa@pucc.BITNET
   ...allegra!princeton!phoenix!jwbirdsa   Compu$erve: 71261,1731

sawant@nunki.usc.edu (Abhay Sawant) (05/08/89)

In article <8202@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) writes:
>me expand the question: Is there anything that DOS and/or the BIOS are
>generally recognized as being GOOD at?

I think the idea of having Get/Set Interrupt vectors as part of DOS
system calls was totally innovative.  It made possible a helluva lot
of incredibly *intelligent* applications, must've taken quite a lot of
foresight to dream of it.  Another thing i loved about the PC
architecture was the design of the bus, with the notions of running a
ROM on an addon card to help it startup etc!  That was a great idea
for a truly open architecture.

You're never too old to have a happy childhood.

ajay shah (213)745-2923 or sawant@nunki.usc.edu

dave@norsat.UUCP (Dave Binette) (05/08/89)

What is "DOS" good at?

wellllll Device Drivers are nice.
                                ^

--
uucp:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!norsat!dave | I have to stop now, I've already
bbs:   (604)597-4361     3/12/24/PEP     | told you more than I know.

Devin_E_Ben-Hur@cup.portal.com (05/08/89)

>    Argh. I went and shot my mouth off, handily forgetting that, at least
> in the case of the video, it is more the BIOS's fault than DOS. So, let
> me expand the question: Is there anything that DOS and/or the BIOS are
> generally recognized as being GOOD at?
>
> James W. Birdsall  jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU  jwbirdsa@pucc.BITNET

They're both very GOOD at making life difficult for PeeCee programmers. :-)

Devin_Ben-Hur@Cup.Portal.Com
...ucbvax!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!devin_ben-hur

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/13/89)

Sure device drivers are nice if you have about 10 megabytes of HD space for
installing the drivers that come with each one of your programs. It would be
nice if they had standardized device drivers, so that every software program
wouldn't need to include 10 disks worth of device drivers with it.

Just an opinion.