[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Sources for DVIESP?

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (05/09/89)

I've recently obtained DosTeX, and it's, well, "neat".  However, it would
be even "neater" if I could print the "neato" things that it produces --
It seems that my Star NX-10 printer is not as Epson-compatable as it
could be.  The .ESP file that DVIESP produces start out with 0x1B 0x33
0x00, which is the Epson escape code to set the line spacing to
0/216 inch.  However, for some reason, the Star only supports line
spacings of 1-255 216ths of an inch.  I've talked to Star tech support,
and the guy said that there is no way to set the line spacing to 0 inches.

Is there a DVI converter for the Star NX-10 (IBM graphics printer would
also work)?  Failing that, can I get the sources to DVIESP so I can modify
it to work right?  (I can just load up the .ESP file with ZipZap and
change the 0x00 to 0x01, which "sort-of" works, but I'd rather have
the real solution...)

On a slightly different note, it seems that DVIESP is being a huge memory
hog.  When I try to convert the SAMPLE.DVI file from CDVI v1.2, it
bombs with an "out of memory error" on my 640K machine.  The only device
driver that is loaded is ANSI.SYS, and I have FILES=40 and BUFFERS=20.
If I try to just do page 1, it still halts with an out of memory error,
but this time my computer also says "Cannot load COMMAND, system halted",
and crashes.  Not too nice.  Is there a way to typeset documents larger
than half a page with this program?  Can it use EMS (I have 512K of LIM 4.0
expanded memory)?

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP smart    : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

dgl00215@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/13/89)

/* Written  6:21 pm  May  8, 1989 by mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>Is there a DVI converter for the Star NX-10 (IBM graphics printer would
>also work)?  Failing that, can I get the sources to DVIESP so I can modify
>it to work right?

I believe sources for several different printer drivers are available from
science.utah.edu (I don't remember which directory).  They are collectively
known as the Beebe-drivers and, as far as I know, are written in C.  They
probably don't include a driver for your specific printer, but they might be
a good place to start if you feel ambitious enough to write your
own.

I am still looking for a driver specifically for the Epson LQ-500.  If
I find the answer to your question at the same time, I'll send you
something.

This is being posted so that I can ask the rest of netland for further
assistance (with both requests).

Doug Lee   (dgl00215@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (05/14/89)

In article <111700083@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, dgl00215@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
 >I believe sources for several different printer drivers are available from
 >science.utah.edu (I don't remember which directory).  They are collectively
 >known as the Beebe-drivers and, as far as I know, are written in C.  They
 >probably don't include a driver for your specific printer, but they might be
 >a good place to start if you feel ambitious enough to write your own.

Thanks.  I noticed these when I was poking around in APS:<TEX.DVI> on
science.utah.edu, but I basically gave up when I found out that I
would need to individually download over 50 files in order to compile
it.  Is there somewhere that has it as an archive (I can handle Zoo,
ARC, PKARC, PAK, ZIP, tar, cpio, and pax formats), or is there
some kind soul that would be willing to mail the complete package to
me?  (If you have the whole thing, please just send me a note, letting
me know that you have it.  Please do NOT just send it -- I'm sure my
upstream sites wouldn't be too happy about 15 copies coming through
at once.  I'll pick the closest person, and ask them to send it to me.)

BTW, I have heard that a new version of the drivers is in beta-testing.
They're supposed to be less memory-hungry than the previous ones, and
a bit faster.  I'm sure that we'll be informed when they're ready for
release.