[comp.sys.ibm.pc] x on pc

rajohn@hubcap.clemson.edu (r alan johnson) (04/28/89)

I'm interested in some sort of prog or dev. tool that will allow me to write
code that I can generate in a PC environment (DOS, not unix) and when then
ported to X will run as well. Simply put, I want some sort of
way to write X apps (or at least use calls that X will understand) that runs
under DOS, without unix, networking, etc. Is this a dumb request? Am I missing
something terribly important? Any and all input will be appreciated. Lacking
help on this problem, is (are) there any tool(s) that will allow dev. and
implementation under DOS that can then be ported easily to a Sun wstation?
Again, and and all help!

				Thanks,
				R. Alan Johnson (rajohn@hubcap.clemson.edu)

p.s. fortran is preferable, but C or some deriv. is OK too.

pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Don Pajerek) (04/29/89)

In article <5309@hubcap.clemson.edu> rajohn@hubcap.clemson.edu (r alan johnson) writes:
>I'm interested in some sort of prog or dev. tool that will allow me to write
>code that I can generate in a PC environment (DOS, not unix) and when then
>ported to X will run as well. Simply put, I want some sort of
>way to write X apps (or at least use calls that X will understand) that runs
>under DOS, without unix, networking, etc.

Either you're missing something, or I am.  Basically, the problem with
what you want to do is that X applications employ the 'Client/Server'
model; i.e., there are minimally TWO programs running, the client and
the server.  Now, there's no reason why both can't be running on the same
machine, unless that machine happens to be a single-tasking DOS machine.

If you really are restricted to PC's, then you will need two networked
machines. One of them will run an X server (there are several commercial
implementations of the X server for PC's under DOS).  The other will run
your client applications.

>				R. Alan Johnson (rajohn@hubcap.clemson.edu)

Don Pajerek

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (04/30/89)

In article <225@isctsse.UUCP> pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Donald Pajerek) writes:
->In article <5309@hubcap.clemson.edu> rajohn@hubcap.clemson.edu (r alan johnson) writes:
->>I'm interested in some sort of prog or dev. tool that will allow me to write
->>code that I can generate in a PC environment (DOS, not unix) and when then
->>ported to X will run as well. Simply put, I want some sort of
->>way to write X apps (or at least use calls that X will understand) that runs
->>under DOS, without unix, networking, etc.
->
->Either you're missing something, or I am.  Basically, the problem with
->what you want to do is that X applications employ the 'Client/Server'
->model; i.e., there are minimally TWO programs running, the client and
->the server.  Now, there's no reason why both can't be running on the same
->machine, unless that machine happens to be a single-tasking DOS machine.
->
->If you really are restricted to PC's, then you will need two networked
->machines. One of them will run an X server (there are several commercial
->implementations of the X server for PC's under DOS).  The other will run
->your client applications.

Of course, you could also use an Amiga which has a multi-tasking OS and
which runs the server and clients at the same time.  X11 has just been
released on the Amiga, and a bunch of clients are also included.  Xlib
and the toolkit libraries have been promised in the near future.

--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

Dion_L_Johnson@cup.portal.com (05/02/89)

R. Alan Johnson wrote:
[ .. some deleted stuff .... ]
If you really are restricted to PC's, then you will need two networked
machines. One of them will run an X server (there are several commercial
implementations of the X server for PC's under DOS).  The other will run
your client applications.
>				R. Alan Johnson (rajohn@hubcap.clemson.edu)

Or, if you prefer to avoid networked DOS,  there are UNIX
implementations that run on PCs!
SCO is just starting to ship developer versions of SCO Xsight under
SCO UNIX for 386 machines.
- Dion L. Johnson  (dion_l_johnson@cup.portal.com)

Don Pajerek

waynec@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Wayne Cannon) (05/13/89)

I think everyone has missed R. Alan Johnson's point (or else I did).  It
sure seems to me that you could have a windowing/graphics library with
the same interface as Xlib running under a single-tasking DOS such that
the same client code could be compiled and run in the DOS environment
and also in a true X environment.  It would certainly have to be
restricted to a single functional window at a time as MS-Windows 286 and
Quarterdeck's windowing system have done.

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (05/14/89)

In article <340002@hpnmdla.HP.COM>, waynec@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Wayne Cannon) writes:
}I think everyone has missed R. Alan Johnson's point (or else I did).  It
}sure seems to me that you could have a windowing/graphics library with
}the same interface as Xlib running under a single-tasking DOS such that
}the same client code could be compiled and run in the DOS environment
}and also in a true X environment.  It would certainly have to be
}restricted to a single functional window at a time as MS-Windows 286 and
}Quarterdeck's windowing system have done.

Whaddaya mean, "single functional window"?  There's no problem writing programs
for Quarterdeck's DESQview that use multiple windows simultaneously, even
interleaving I/O to multiple windows, some or all of which may be at least
partially obscured.  I imagine MS-Windows is the same.
--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31