[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Beware of Micro 1 Vendor

PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET (Bob Babcock) (05/14/89)

Warning, if you value your time and money, avoid any dealings with Micro 1
(557 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA).  In mid December, 1988, they took
my prepaid order for a '386 system, sent no written acknowledgement (but
after repeated inquiries did finally fax an invoice 2 months later), and
continually promised to ship "next week" until late April.  At that time,
faced with complaints from my lawyer, and no doubt from other customers,
the owner, Rick McCabe, sold the company.  The new owner immediately filed
for bankruptcy.  Micro 1 continues to claim that they will eventually make
full refunds, but everything else they have told me was lies, so I have no
reason to believe this is true.  These people made a mockery of the FTC
rules which are supposed to protect mail order customers.

Most likely these people will change their business name and resume
operations.  If I hear of their new name, I will update this message
accordingly.  My $7K is gone, but perhaps I can save someone else from the
same fate.

Robert W. Babcock
WSS Division of DDC
4 Reeves Road
Bedford, MA 01730
617-275-1183 or 9104
EMail to peprbv@cfaamp.bitnet or babcock@cfa

kaires@hubcap.clemson.edu (Robert G Kaires) (05/14/89)

>> Warning, if you value your time and money, avoid any dealings
>> with Micro 1 (557 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA).  In mid
>> December, 1988, they took my prepaid order for a '386 system,
>> sent no written acknowledgement (but after repeated inquiries did
>> finally fax an invoice 2 months later), and continually promised
>> to ship "next week" until late April.  At that time, faced with
>> complaints from my lawyer, and no doubt from other customers, ......

I was shocked to read Mr. Babcock's warning about Micro 1.  In the May
30 issue of PC magazine the 16 Mhz Micro 1 Power 386-1 got editor's
choice!! (this issue reviews every 386 machine in existence).  I guess
I'll cross this machine off of my list. (and find a new magazine to
read).

woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ronald S. Woan) (05/14/89)

In article <5479@hubcap.clemson.edu> kaires@hubcap.clemson.edu (Robert G Kaires) writes:
>I was shocked to read Mr. Babcock's warning about Micro 1.  In the May
>30 issue of PC magazine the 16 Mhz Micro 1 Power 386-1 got editor's
>choice!! (this issue reviews every 386 machine in existence).  I guess
>I'll cross this machine off of my list. (and find a new magazine to
>read).

I wouldn't write off PC Magazine so soon.  The machine might be the
greatest thing in the world, and the company just sucks...

						Ron

| "This whole right brain, left brain thing is just a plot on the part of the  |
|  humanities depart. to excuse their never having learned any science"        |
|  Roger Dell, Prof. of Mathematics                                            |
|                                       Ronald Woan, woan@cory.berkeley.edu    |

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/16/89)

I don't think they reviewed the Gateway 2000 '386 machines. But Byte Magazine
did in their November 88 (?) issue, and called it one of the better ones.

Milan.