[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PROCOMM PLUS problem

jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) (04/30/89)

The communications program Procomm Plus V1.1B has a feature that
is mapped to the back quote (`) key.  It's a pop-up menu that allows
you to do things while on line, ect.  This is fine, but occasionally
I need to transmit a back quote character.  How do I disable/re-map
the back quote function so I can transmit the back quote character.
It has nothing to do with the translation table; it only translates
received characters, not transmitted ones.

--

	jdm@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz vdelta crash]!hodge!jdm

	James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist
	Hodge Computer Research Corporation
	1588 North Batavia Street
	Orange, California 92667  USA
	TEL: (714) 998-7750	Ask for James
	FAX: (714) 921-8038	Wait for the carrier

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson, MACC) (04/30/89)

In article <12324@hodge.UUCP>, jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) writes...

]The communications program Procomm Plus V1.1B has a feature that
]is mapped to the back quote (`) key.  It's a pop-up menu that allows
]you to do things while on line, ect.  This is fine, but occasionally
]I need to transmit a back quote character.  How do I disable/re-map
]the back quote function so I can transmit the back quote character.
]It has nothing to do with the translation table; it only translates
]received characters, not transmitted ones.

Using the setup utility, choose General Options.  On its
menu, item K sets that character.  You can delete for the
current session only, or if you prefer, leave it set to
null.  You can do this while you're online if you like
(Alt-S for Setup).

==Jess Anderson===Academic Computing Center=====Univ. Wisconsin-Madison=====
| Work: Rm. 2160, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706, Ph. 608/263-6988 |
| Home: 2838 Stevens St., 53705, 608/238-4833   BITNET: anderson@wiscmacc  |
==ARPA: anderson@macc.wisc.edu========UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson==

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson, MACC) (04/30/89)

In article <1632@dogie.macc.wisc.edu>, anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson, MACC) writes...

(giving bad information, sorry)

]In article <12324@hodge.UUCP>, jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) writes...
]
]]The communications program Procomm Plus V1.1B has a feature that
]]is mapped to the back quote (`) key.  It's a pop-up menu that allows
]]you to do things while on line, ect.  This is fine, but occasionally
]]I need to transmit a back quote character.  How do I disable/re-map
]]the back quote function so I can transmit the back quote character.
]]It has nothing to do with the translation table; it only translates
]]received characters, not transmitted ones.
]
]Using the setup utility, choose General Options.  On its
]menu, item K sets that character.  You can delete for the
]current session only, or if you prefer, leave it set to
]null.  You can do this while you're online if you like
](Alt-S for Setup).

You have to set it to a printable character, it seems.  What
a misfeature, eh?  Anyway, unless you're talking with it to
a Unix system, tilde should work pretty well.

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (04/30/89)

In article <12324@hodge.UUCP> jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) writes:
>The communications program Procomm Plus V1.1B has a feature that
>is mapped to the back quote (`) key.  It's a pop-up menu that allows
>you to do things while on line, ect.  This is fine, but occasionally
>I need to transmit a back quote character.  How do I disable/re-map
>the back quote function so I can transmit the back quote character.
>It has nothing to do with the translation table; it only translates
>received characters, not transmitted ones.

Invoke the set-up facility by pressing ALT-S and select the general
options menu and reset the menu line key.  Should be as simple as
that.
Prof. Timo Salmi
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

umf@ce.chalmers.se (Martin Forsberg ENDdec89BB) (04/30/89)

In article <12324@hodge.UUCP> jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) writes:

>The communications program Procomm Plus V1.1B has a feature that
>is mapped to the back quote (`) key.  It's a pop-up menu that allows
>you to do things while on line, ect.  This is fine, but occasionally
>I need to transmit a back quote character.  How do I disable/re-map
>the back quote function so I can transmit the back quote character.
>It has nothing to do with the translation table; it only translates
>received characters, not transmitted ones.

Have you got the manual? if you have, this is no problem, but I assume
that you haven't got the manual. What you should do is to press ALT & S,
then you will come to the setup menu, then move to the 'general options'
choice and press ENTER. Now you are in the general options menu and by
pressing the letter K you will be able to change the back quote to any
character that you wish. Hope this helps. (Buying the program to get the
manual isn't such a bad idea).

|	Martin Forsberg			d4umf@dtek.chalmers.se		     |
|	PL 9003 Bueras				  or			     |
|	43900 Onsala			umf@cd.chalmers.se		     |
|	  SWEDEN							     |

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (05/06/89)

As quoted from <12324@hodge.UUCP> by jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm):
+---------------
| The communications program Procomm Plus V1.1B has a feature that
| is mapped to the back quote (`) key.  It's a pop-up menu that allows
| you to do things while on line, ect.  This is fine, but occasionally
| I need to transmit a back quote character.  How do I disable/re-map
| the back quote function so I can transmit the back quote character.
+---------------

Have you never looked at the Setup menus?

General menu, item "J" -- "Menu line" -- turn it off.  You can also change
item "K", "Menu line key", to change the character.  Unfortunately, you
*must* use a printable ASCII character; as a result, I don't use the menu
line.  I often need to be able to type *all* the printable characters.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

riehm@maccs.McMaster.CA (Carl Riehm) (05/10/89)

I have another problem with Pcplus:  when I am using a script file to log on to
some other computer, for example, pcplus gets impatient if it has to wait too
long and "leaks" the next step before the prompt for it is sent by the other
computer.  Any suggestions?
			Carl Riehm    riehm@maccs.uucp    riehm@mcmaster.bitnet

	Hashim Khan:  "Keep eye on ball".

dlee@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Darren Lee) (05/11/89)

In article <2632@maccs.McMaster.CA> riehm@maccs.UUCP (Carl Riehm) writes:
>I have another problem with Pcplus:  when I am using a script file to log on to
>some other computer, for example, pcplus gets impatient if it has to wait too
>long and "leaks" the next step before the prompt for it is sent by the other
>computer.  Any suggestions?

I would suggest that in the General Setup, you increase the Transmit Pace Time

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (05/11/89)

In article <2632@maccs.McMaster.CA> riehm@maccs.UUCP (Carl Riehm) writes:
>I have another problem with Pcplus:  when I am using a script file to log on to
>some other computer, for example, pcplus gets impatient if it has to wait too
>long and "leaks" the next step before the prompt for it is sent by the other
>computer.  Any suggestions?

Yes.  See the PcPlus manual Chapter 11.  See the command WAITFOR.
The manual gives the syntax for including the wait time.  Or if you
want to have an example get /pc/ts/tspfon28.arc by anonymous ftp
from 128.214.12.3.  I am not repeating the WAITFOR syntax here,
since I am not in a competition with DataStorm in publishing the
PcPlus manual :-)

jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) (05/12/89)

In article <2632@maccs.McMaster.CA>, riehm@maccs.McMaster.CA (Carl Riehm) writes:
> I have another problem with Pcplus:  when I am using a script file to log on to
> some other computer, for example, pcplus gets impatient if it has to wait too
> long and "leaks" the next step before the prompt for it is sent by the other
> computer.  Any suggestions?
> 			Carl Riehm    riehm@maccs.uucp    riehm@mcmaster.bitnet
>
> 	Hashim Khan:  "Keep eye on ball".

	Many of the script file commands have timing arguments that can be
	set for the maximum wait time.  The WAITFOR command has a default
	of 30 seconds.  To up it to 60 seconds just use:

	        WAITFOR "string" 60

	WAITFOR also has a FOREVER option that allows you to wait forever
	for a string to appear on your screen; i.e.:

        	WAITFOR "string" FOREVER

	You didn't say which script file commands you were having problems
	with, but all the ones with timing function have the timing argument
	with the same syntax as the WAITFOR command.

--

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (05/12/89)

In article <14010@paris.ics.uci.edu>, dlee@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Darren Lee) writes:
>In article <2632@maccs.McMaster.CA> riehm@maccs.UUCP (Carl Riehm) writes:
>>I have another problem with Pcplus:  when I am using a script file to
>log on to
>>some other computer, for example, pcplus gets impatient if it has to
>wait too
>>long and "leaks" the next step before the prompt for it is sent by the
>other
>>computer.  Any suggestions?
>
>I would suggest that in the General Setup, you increase the Transmit Pace
>Time

This won't help at all.  The only thing that "Transmit Pace Time" does
is change the wait time between transmitted characters during an ASCII
transfer.  What you need to do is something like this:

:LOOP
WAITFOR "First name:" 25
IF NOT WAITFOR GOTO LOOP
<send name, etc.>

This will make it loop forever, waiting for the string you specify.  You
could also try increasing the wait time in the waitfor statement.

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP smart    : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (05/12/89)

In article <14010@paris.ics.uci.edu> Darren Lee <dlee@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>In article <2632@maccs.McMaster.CA> riehm@maccs.UUCP (Carl Riehm) writes:
>>I have another problem with Pcplus:  when I am using a script file to log on to
>>some other computer, for example, pcplus gets impatient if it has to wait too
>>long and "leaks" the next step before the prompt for it is sent by the other
>>computer.  Any suggestions?
>
>I would suggest that in the General Setup, you increase the Transmit Pace Time

I disagree. As far as I know transmit pace time has nothing
to do with this problem. Transmit pace time controls the delay
between the characters sent to the modem or the host, while Carl's
problem is obviously about setting the response wait time, which is
a parameter to the WAITFOR command in PcPlus script language.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

ldh@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM (05/16/89)

If you know that there will be an extra long delay at any specific step of the
script, you can insert a "WAIT ###" (where ### are the milliseconds) to delay
the actions. PCPLUS I believe will wait 30 seconds before timing out and moving on.

Leo Hinds	ldh@hdw.harris.com

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (05/17/89)

As quoted from <14010@paris.ics.uci.edu> by dlee@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Darren Lee):
+---------------
| In article <2632@maccs.McMaster.CA> riehm@maccs.UUCP (Carl Riehm) writes:
| >I have another problem with Pcplus:  when I am using a script file to log on to
| >some other computer, for example, pcplus gets impatient if it has to wait too
| >long and "leaks" the next step before the prompt for it is sent by the other
| >computer.  Any suggestions?
|
| I would suggest that in the General Setup, you increase the Transmit Pace Time
+---------------

I don't think that's what he meant.

Excerpt from my logon script for ncoast.ORG:

LOGIN:
        WAITFOR "login:" 5
        IF NOT WAITFOR
                BREAK
                GOTO LOGIN:
        ENDIF

The "IF NOT WAITFOR ... ENDIF" is the magic that lets it work right.

++Brandon