[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Turbo C Memory Resident Problems

mregeste@iss.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mark Regester) (05/17/89)

Has anyone used the "_Turbo C Memory-Resident Utilities, Screen I/O,
and Programming Techniques_" by Al Stevens to create a memory resident
program?

I inherited a memory resident program that I must maintain.  The
program is based on the examples in the book.  I have compiled and run
the program successfully on '286 and '386 machines, but I cannot get
the program to run on 8088 machines.  When I press the program's "hot
key", the PC "locks up".  Sometimes a warm boot will revive the
machine, other times a cold boot is required.

I have looked everywhere that I know of to make sure that the
compiler/linker are not generating machine specific instructions.  As
far as I can tell, the program is being loaded into memory properly.

One thing that I cannot do the way the book suggests, is assembling
c0.asm.  The book uses the commands:

         C>masm c0,c0t /ML /D__TINY__;
         C>masm c0,c0s /ML /D__SMALL__;

When I run masm for the small module, the following is displayed:

Microsoft (R) Macro Assembler  Version 4.00
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985.  All rights
reserved.

c0.ASM(312) : error 9: Symbol not defined CheckSum
c0.ASM(314) : error 9: Symbol not defined lgth_NullCheck
c0.ASM(315) : error 9: Symbol not defined NullCheck

  43724 Bytes symbol space free

      0 Warning Errors
      3 Severe  Errors

The Turbo C supplied commands to rebuild c0t and c0s tell you to use
the /MX option, not the /ML option.  If /MX is used, there are no
error messages displayed.  In either case, the memory resident program
does not work properly.

Mark Regester Information Systems & Services, NCR E&M Wichita
 NCR:654-8340 <M.Regester@Wichita.NCR.COM>
(316)636-8340 <{ece-csc,hubcap,gould,rtech}!ncrcae!ncrwic!m.regester>
              <{sdcsvax,cbatt,dcdwest,nosc.ARPA,ihnp4}!ncr-sd!ncrwic!m.regester>

scotth@grebyn.COM (Scott Hutchinson) (05/17/89)

In article <140@iss.Wichita.NCR.COM> mregeste@iss.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mark Regester) writes:
>Has anyone used the "_Turbo C Memory-Resident Utilities, Screen I/O,
>and Programming Techniques_" by Al Stevens to create a memory resident
>program?

	I would get a copy of Chip Rabinowitz's Tesserect TSR shell.
it's written and optimised for turbo C and will handle all the TSR stuff
for oyu in about 4K.    I believe it's called TESS.ARC.

							-Scott
Standard Disclamers:  These opinions are mine, they do not reflect on my
                      Company at all.
I can be reached at scotth@grebyn.com or scotth@grebyn.uucp