[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Re^2: Optimizers and RISC

igp@camcon.co.uk (Ian Phillipps) (05/18/89)

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:

>As quoted from <3181@looking.UUCP> by brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton):

>Optimization under RISC consists primarily of (1) recognizing that some
>loops will run faster when "unwound" into linear code and (2) optimizing the
>use of registers.

And, maybe more important, re-ordering instructions so that the processor
doesn't stall if a register value is still in the pipeline, and that the
delay cycle after jumps is used constructively. These don't apply to any
CISC processors I know of [ok. maybe mainframes, but no-one's given me one
to play with].
--
UUCP:  igp@camcon.co.uk   | Cambridge Consultants Ltd  |  Ian Phillipps
or:    igp@camcon.uucp    | Science Park, Milton Road  |-----------------