[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Info on HD-Controller PS-180 ?

st%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Stefan Timphus) (05/09/89)

Has anybody experience with a Harddisk-Controller called
PS-180 or Perstor-180.
It is advertised to format a Seagate ST-4096 to 146 MB (instead of 80).
Please let me know how whether this really works.
                                     Stefan Timphus

st@trillian.irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (05/11/89)

In article <1349@laura.UUCP> st%trillian.irb@unido.UUCP (Stefan Timphus) writes:
>Has anybody experience with a Harddisk-Controller called
>PS-180 or Perstor-180.
>It is advertised to format a Seagate ST-4096 to 146 MB (instead of 80).
>Please let me know how whether this really works.

I evaluated the Perstore "ARLL" (Advanced RLL) controller and
decided against it in favor of (an Adaptec) standard RLL that can
achieve a 1:1 interleave and hence higher transfer rate to/from the
disk.  As I recall the ARLL was priced noticable higher than the RLL
(although I can't recall exactly how much right now, but this is
inews fodder so my followup doesn't get rejected, anyway, so who
really cares, eh?)

kEITHe

rkaplan@medsoft.uucp (Richard Kaplan) (05/14/89)

 ST>From: st%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Stefan Timphus)
 ST>Date: 9 May 89 09:45:01 GMT

 ST>Has anybody experience with a Harddisk-Controller called
 ST>PS-180 or Perstor-180.
 ST>It is advertised to format a Seagate ST-4096 to 146 MB (instead
 ST>of 80).
 ST>Please let me know how whether this really works.

Yes, this really works.  I've used the Perstor drive with my ST-4096
for 10 months now.

--
Richard Kaplan - via FidoNet node 1:135/3
Medical Software Exchange BBS (305) 325-8709

rkaplan@medsoft.uucp (Richard Kaplan) (05/14/89)

 KE>From: keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson)
 KE>Date: 10 May 89 20:16:11 GMT
 KE>Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc

 KE>I evaluated the Perstore "ARLL" (Advanced RLL) controller and
 KE>decided against it in favor of (an Adaptec) standard RLL that
 KE>can achieve a 1:1 interleave and hence higher transfer rate

What you say is true, but I believe the original author was
concerned with disk capacity.  If this is one's priority in
selecting a controller,   then an ARLL controller is best
for the job.

--

root@consult.UUCP (Super user) (05/15/89)

In article <1349@laura.UUCP> st%trillian.irb@unido.UUCP (Stefan Timphus) writes:
>Has anybody experience with a Harddisk-Controller called
>PS-180 or Perstor-180.
>It is advertised to format a Seagate ST-4096 to 146 MB (instead of 80).
>Please let me know how whether this really works.

.. I have a PS-180 using a Seagate 4096 on our BBS system on an AT
clone.  Runs very very well.  Kinda of a pain to setup. Very time consuming
and the docs are marginal.  But it does work.  Gives about 123mb instead of
146 as advertisded, but that was not a problem for us, as 123 is still MUCH
better than 80mb.
..
You will need some sort of utility like Ontrack Disk Manager to
effectivly use the entire disk as a single drive.
Again it's docs are shaky, but it does work.
..
Just be prepared for a few hours work, and MAKE SURE you system is
well backed up.
..
Speed is pretty good, and reliability has been excellent.
we have been running for about 6 months now, with NO problems.
(Murphy don't listen to that!!!).....
..
  ,,, bob willey ,,,   CCS Tech Support BBS  (301) 476-5098
..

gatesl@romana.cs.orst.edu (Lee Ryan Gates) (05/16/89)

>In article <1349@laura.UUCP> st%trillian.irb@unido.UUCP (Stefan Timphus) writes
>>Has anybody experience with a Harddisk-Controller called
>>PS-180 or Perstor-180.
>>It is advertised to format a Seagate ST-4096 to 146 MB (instead of 80).
>
>.. I have a PS-180 using a Seagate 4096 on our BBS system on an AT
>clone.  Runs very very well.  Kinda of a pain to setup. Very time consuming
>and the docs are marginal.  But it does work.  Gives about 123mb instead of
>146 as advertisded, but that was not a problem for us, as 123 is still MUCH
>better than 80mb.
>You will need some sort of utility like Ontrack Disk Manager to
>effectivly use the entire disk as a single drive.
>Speed is pretty good, and reliability has been excellent.
>we have been running for about 6 months now, with NO problems.

  Um, wouldn't that be only a little better than a normal RLL drive?  I have
  been looking into getting a RLL controller for some time now, and the
  Perstor advertises 90% storage increase with a 2:1 interleave.  If you were
  to get something like an Adaptec or DTC 1:1 interleave board, you could
  get aproximately 120mb (if only a few hard errors).  Then with those, you
  can get upwards of 650 kb/s transfer rate.  Given that the ARLL board has
  that many problems getting up to the expected 90% storage increase, I would
  (am going to) consider getting the RLL drive because there won't be many
  errors due to the board, and the high transfer rate.

  just some thoughts,
  lee

**
      'must be Oregon, look there's another person with rust on 'em.'
gates@romana.cs.orst.edu   'anybody got a job for an aspiring cs undergrad?' :-)

wek@point ([Bill Kuykendall]) (05/19/89)

2 of the guys in my office have Perstores with ST4096's on their home
machines.  They do work, but they both report occasional grinding noises
similar to a normal configuration that is about to report a "Sector not
found writing Drive C:" error.  Apparently the Perstor does a
read-after-write and corrects weak writes by rewriting the sector until it's
satisfied.

Neither of them has ever had a problem reading the drives.  Still -- it's a
little scary.  I opted for a WD 1006V-SR2 RLL controller for my 2 ST-4096s.
This formats the drives to around 118 MB.  I did this partly because of their
experiences with Perstor and partly because I'm running unix and I've never
heard of anyone running Perstors with unix.