[comp.sys.ibm.pc] C++ under dos info wanted

olsen@eecs.nwu.edu (Jeffrey S. Olsen) (05/02/89)

  I am looking for a C++ compiler under the MS-DOS enviromnent.  Which
is better, something like Zortech C++ compiler or a C++ translator like
Guideline.  Zortech is much cheaper, and therefore more attractive;
however I do not wish to waste my money if it is not worth it.

  Jeff Olsen
  olsen@eecs.nwu.edu

mrh@camcon.co.uk (Mark Hughes) (05/22/89)

olsen@eecs.nwu.edu (Jeffrey S. Olsen) writes:

>  I am looking for a C++ compiler under the MS-DOS enviromnent.  Which
>is better, something like Zortech C++ compiler or a C++ translator like
>Guideline.  Zortech is much cheaper, and therefore more attractive;
>however I do not wish to waste my money if it is not worth it.

I can't make comparissons as I only know Zortech's product. After using
version 1.07 for about three months I would recommend it with some
reservations. The product is generally very robust, comes with very
useful C libraries (including fast graphics routines, mouse routines) and
seems to produce efficient code. The only area that has given me real
problems is using it to produce objects readable be a source line
debugger.

Starting with CodeView was frustrating. I put a lot of it down to difficulties
Zortech may have had in working with someone else's product. However there
are similar problems with their own (C) debugger when used with C++.

Rule number 1 is don't use *any* inline code while debugging. Inlines in
object definitions confuse the debugger, which not surprisingly gets
confused when it finds source code in header files. However, this and
other features can also cause another problem which results in
an invalid object module being prduced when compiled to include
source line debugger info. Hence my program of about ten source files
includes three which are compiled and linked without the debugger option
which prevents me from stepping through them. If I don't do this, they
are rejected by the linker.

Zortech are working on a dedicated C++ debugger, but I don't think it will
necessarily solve this problem, as it is obviously compiler related.

Having said that I would still recommend the product. When it works it works
beautifully, and after some frustration learning what it doesn't like, I
find it a great development environment. No doubt Zortech will be working
on the problems I have outlined and may even have fixed them as you read
this - if anyone can confirm this I'd like to know!

Marks out of ten? Six, and hopefully rising :-)

--
------------------- <mrh@camcon.co.uk>  or  <...!mcvax!ukc!idec!camcon!mrh>
------------------- BT Gold: 72:MAG70076      Cambridge UK. (Own opinions etc.)