[comp.sys.ibm.pc] <1883@iesd.dk>

neese@adaptex.UUCP (05/22/89)

>>In article <1883@iesd.dk> sunesen@iesd.dk (Peter Sunesen) writes:
>>Do anybody have experiens with scsi harddisk controler to AT
>>
>>If you have information on the adaptech AHA-1542A god / bad please respond
>
>386^MAX gets badly bent out of shape if you try to use it with
>either a WD 7000 ASC or an adaptec AHA 1540 (the one w/o the floppy
>controller on it) because these cards both "borrow" a bit of high
>DOS memory (for a buffer of some kind?) and 386^MAX can't handle it.
>
>I had to give up my SCS WREN IV (and it's > 1 Megabyte/sec transfer
>rate - SOB!) because 386^MAX was more important to my application
>(and you spell PC-NFS? YES: m-e-m-o-r-y  h-o-g).

Actually, the aha-1450 board does not steal any memory from the dos
environment.  What is probably biting you is 386^MAX.  It puts the
386 into virtual mode and the first party DMA implementation does not
get real addresses from the application.  There is a driver available
that fixes most 386 virtual programs.  It does this by trapping int13
and setting a local buffer for moving the data to/from the SCSI card.
If 386^MAX will properly honor a DOS driver, then thia will take care of
the situation.  Drop me an address and I will see if i can get it to you.

				Roy Neese
				Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
				UUCP @ {merch,texbell,killer}!cpe!adaptex!neese