[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC donations

kiely@lownlab.harvard.edu (James P. Kiely) (05/18/89)

I am looking for a PC that wants to be donated to a church.
There must be zillions of old two floppy PC's that people
are dying to get rid of.  Of course an old XT would be better,
but beggers can't be choosers.  At any rate, does anyone know
where I would find such a machine?  Is there any sort of clearing
house for old machines being donated to charitable institutions?
I believe that the "fair market value" of the machine is deductible
from next year's taxes if you donate it to a charitable institution.

NAME:     James P. Kiely                USPS:   Kiely Laboratories
USENET:   ...!harvard!lownlab!kiely             P.O. Box 624
DOMAIN:   kiely@lownlab.harvard.edu             Allston, MA 02134-0624
PHONE:    +1 617 782 4136                       USA

rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE) (05/20/89)

In article <1853@husc6.harvard.edu>, kiely@lownlab.harvard.edu (James P. Kiely) writes:
> I am looking for a PC that wants to be donated to a church.
> :
> I believe that the "fair market value" of the machine is deductible

I think you can deduct the original purchase price, fair or not.
Am I right?
Would you take a TRS-80 Model I (w/2 floppies)?

	Rick Carle, rgc@raybed2.ray.com

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/23/89)

In article <1313@raybed2.UUCP>, rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE) writes:
> In article <1853@husc6.harvard.edu>, kiely@lownlab.harvard.edu (James P. Kiely) writes:
# # I am looking for a PC that wants to be donated to a church.
# # :
# # I believe that the "fair market value" of the machine is deductible
#
# I think you can deduct the original purchase price, fair or not.
# Am I right?
# Would you take a TRS-80 Model I (w/2 floppies)?
#
# 	Rick Carle, rgc@raybed2.ray.com

No.  You can take the "fair market value" -- which means what you
can sell it for -- NOT what you paid for it.  Of course, determining
fair market value can be difficult, and if you don't try to deduct
something TOO outrageous, you might get away with deducting 20-30%
above the real market price -- but if you try to deduct full original
purchase on a very old computer, you are going to be crossing that
line from "legitimate mistake" to "deep trouble".
--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Assault rifle possession is a victimless crime.