current backups.
--
*****************************Look!  ST V quotes!****************************
#1) "Captain, I don't believe you understand the gravity of your situation."
    "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"
#2) "I know this ship like the back of my hand..."  BONK!  THUD!

rlb@cs.odu.edu (Robert Lee Bailey) (05/20/89)

In article <8275@pyr.gatech.EDU> ccastgw@pyr.gatech.edu.UUCP (GREG WILLIAMS) writes:

>I have two hard disks on my PC/XT clone.  One is an ST-238R and the
>other is an ST-251N (SCSI).  Currently my PC boots off the 238.  I
>would like to fix it so that I boot off the 251.  I have tried putting
>the jumper for the 238 in the Drive 2 position, but that only produced
>a 1701 error on bootup.  (Well, it did boot off the 251, but that's not
>quite how I want it...  :-)  )  I looked at the addresses for the 2
>drives using debug.  The 238 is at C800 and the 251 is at CA00.  I am
>assuming that whichever drive is at C800 is the one booted from.  Is
>this true?  If so, how do I switch the 2 addresses to boot from the 251?
>If I end up having to reformat both drives, that's okay because I do have
>current backups.
>--

Sure, just swap the cables between the two drives!

	Bob Bailey

gk@kksys.mn.org (Greg Kemnitz) (05/23/89)

In article <8938@xanth.cs.odu.edu> rlb@cs.odu.edu (Robert Lee Bailey) writes:
>In article <8275@pyr.gatech.EDU> ccastgw@pyr.gatech.edu (GREG WILLIAMS) writes:
>>I have two hard disks on my PC/XT clone.  One is an ST-238R and the other
>>is an ST-251N (SCSI).  Currently my PC boots off the 238.  I would like to
>>fix it so that I boot off the 251.  I looked at the addresses for the 2
>>drives using debug.  The 238 is at C800 and the 251 is at CA00.  I am
>>assuming that whichever drive is at C800 is the one booted from.  Is
>>this true?  If so, how do I switch the 2 addresses to boot from the 251?
>
>Sure, just swap the cables between the two drives!
>
>	Bob Bailey

This suggestion will *NOT* work.  The drives he has are on *separate*
controllers -- the ST-238R is a ST-506 interface RLL drive, while the
ST-251N is a SCSI interface drive.  The controllers are NOT the same!

Although I have not encountered the above situation before, the
original theory presented by Mr. Williams sounds plausible (switch the
controller rom addresses).  Unfortunately, without information on
which controllers he is using it will be difficult to provide him with
the needed information.

Another possible approach would be to format the ST-238R without a dos
system image.  Theoretically, at boot it would scan the ST-238R, find
no boot image, and then scan the ST-251N (it is likely the first drive
on its controller, and thus would be scanned for boot).  If the
ST-251N *did* have a boot image, the system would boot from it.

Disclaimer:  The above has not been tested, however I have seen at
least one bios which booted in this manner.  Your mileage may vary.

--
Greg Kemnitz / K and K Systems / PO Box 41804 / Plymouth, MN 55441-0804
Domain: gk@kksys.mn.org / UUCP: ...!{amdahl,hpda}!bungia!kksys!gk

jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) (05/24/89)

In article <1210@kksys.mn.org> gk@kksys.UUCP (Greg Kemnitz) writes:
>In article <8938@xanth.cs.odu.edu> rlb@cs.odu.edu (Robert Lee Bailey) writes:
>>In article<8275@pyr.gatech.EDU> ccastgw@pyr.gatech.edu (GREG WILLIAMS) writes:
>>>I have two hard disks on my PC/XT clone.  One is an ST-238R and the other
>>> ...how do I switch the 2 addresses to boot from the 251?
>    [lots of stuff deleted...]
>Another possible approach would be to format the ST-238R without a dos
>system image.  Theoretically, at boot it would scan the ST-238R, find
>no boot image, and then scan the ST-251N (it is likely the first drive
>on its controller, and thus would be scanned for boot).  If the
>ST-251N *did* have a boot image, the system would boot from it.
>
>Disclaimer:  The above has not been tested, however I have seen at
>least one bios which booted in this manner.  Your mileage may vary.
>--
>Greg Kemnitz / K and K Systems / PO Box 41804 / Plymouth, MN 55441-0804
>Domain: gk@kksys.mn.org / UUCP: ...!{amdahl,hpda}!bungia!kksys!gk

   Interesting. Whose bios was it? So far as I know, the original IBM
bios (at least in the XT, which I what I have) will ONLY boot from A: or
C: (the first floppy or the first HD) and drops you into ROM Basic if it
doesn't find the boot files. Which is fine unless you want to leave a
non-system floppy in A:, in which case the stupid thing never looks at
C: and gives a Non-System Disk error. Grrr.

   Of course, if you don't have Basic in your ROM (are there any clones
which do?), it would pay for the ROM to be more creative in trying to
find the boot files because there's noplace to go if you don't find
them.

[Inews fodder]

--
James W. Birdsall  jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU  jwbirdsa@pucc.BITNET
   ...allegra!princeton!phoenix!jwbirdsa   Compu$erve: 71261,1731