[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Reset Switch

chu2_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jim Huang) (05/14/89)

	I have an original 6mhz IBM PC AT (Model 5170) and I would like
	to wire up a reset switch so that when the system is really hung,
	i.e. Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect, I don't have to shut the whole
	system down to reboot it.

	Does anybody out there know how this can be done?  Many thanks in
	advance...

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+\
|  Jim Huang                                      University of Rochester | \
|  P.O. Box 27918                                                         |  |
|  Rochester, New York      ARPA:    chu2_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu      |  |
|         14627             BITNET:  in%"chu2_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu" |  |
|  (716) 274-3706           UUCP:    ...!rochester!ur-cc!chu2_ltd         |  |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------\  |
 \__________________________________________________________________________\|

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (05/22/89)

In article <1966@ur-cc.UUCP> chu2_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jim Huang) writes:
>	I have an original 6mhz IBM PC AT (Model 5170) and I would like
>	to wire up a reset switch so that when the system is really hung,
>	i.e. Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect, I don't have to shut the whole
>	system down to reboot it.

There is such a product,
Ariel, PO. Box 866, Flemington, NJ  08822
(800) 641-3322  ext 1110    or (201) 788-9002
But beware:  We have requested dealer info about 10 times, and
NEVER received anything.  We have one of their crystal oscillators with
a built in reset button (hardwired to inside of AT),
and their products work great, they are just not too responsive.
..
  < Bob Willey > Computer Consulting Service, Easton, MD
   Bulletin Board for Xenix/Unix  (301) 476-5098  1200/2400/V9600

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (05/23/89)

In article <1966@ur-cc.UUCP> chu2_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jim Huang) writes:
>I have an original 6mhz IBM PC AT (Model 5170) and I would like
>to wire up a reset switch so that when the system is really hung,
>i.e. Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect, I don't have to shut the whole
>system down to reboot it.

I almost NEVER post things to worldwide distribution; but this one
is asked often enuff that it must be of universal interest, much
less international...

There is a signal line that comes out of the Power Supply that
signifies that the power is good (it's called the "Power Good" line,
by coincidence.)  By installing a switch to momentarily short this
line to ground the machine will go through its reset procedure.

The "Power Good" line (on ATs and Clones; I'm pretty sure on PC's
and XT's, too) is the line closest to the rear of the instrument.
Pick any of the black wires in the bundle as a ground line.

Have Fun.  And if you don't know how to proceed from this
description, DON'T!  If you can figure it out from this purposely
limited description you probably know enough to take on the project
without screwing it up too badly.  *I* ain't takin' the blame!!!

kEITHe

johnl@ima.ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) (05/24/89)

In article <5208@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>I have an original 6mhz IBM PC AT (Model 5170) and I would like
>to wire up a reset switch ...

Here is a copy of an article I posted a year ago on this topic.  You need
some minor ability to deal with hardware, but do not need to make any
changes to the AT.  You could drill a hole in the AT's case and mount the
reset switch, but I chose to put mine in a separate little box with a cable
running into the AT, so I could remove it if need be.

I built one for about five bucks.  The AT has a "power good" signal
coming out of the power supply; if you pull that signal down to ground
for a moment the AT will think that it's just been turned on and reboot.
I put a momentary contact switch in series with a 220 ohm resistor (I picked
220 just because I had one lying around and didn't want to short the +5
directly to ground.)  Power good is pin 1 on the PS8 power connector and
a convenient ground is pin 6 on the same connector.  I just folded over the
leads from my switch and stuffed them into the back of PS8 to avoid any
cutting or soldering.  Works great.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ bbn | spdcc | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something