[comp.sys.ibm.pc] I think I've found my VGA card!!!

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (05/08/89)

I think I've finally settled on a VGA card.  It is a Tatung VGA.  Actually,
Tatung puts their name on two VGA cards.  The one I like is a Video7 FastWrite
clone.  The other is called the Tatung VGA-16 and is a Paradise clone.

The Tatung VGA is virtually identical in performance to the Video7 FastWrite,
the card I would purchase if I had lots of money (I'm looking at buying 10 to
20 systems, see).  (Actually, if I had _lots_ of money I'd probably go with
the Video7 VRAM.)

Anyway, the Tatung is available for about $200, not much more than a high-end
EGA card.  The only downside is that it is limited to 256k RAM (cf. the 512k
capacity if the Video7 FastWrite.)  But 256k allows 640 x 480 x 256 colors and
800 x 600 x 16 colors, which is sufficient for our needs.

kEITHe

|Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)                       |
|Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383   Beaverton OR 97077    (503)627-6042           |
+---------------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| UUCP:  uunet!tektronix!tekgvs!keithe    or        | Note: These addresses   |
|        uunet!tektronix!tekgvs.labs.tek.com!keithe |    may be hazardous     |
| ARPA:  keithe%tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM@RELAY.CS.NET    |    to your mailer's     |
| CSNet: keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM		    |    health!!             |
+---------------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Mail sent via "machine1!machine2!...!keithe@machineN.UUCP" doesn't make it! |
|  "Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes,        |
|     and learn what not to do, and that's the end of you." - R.P. Feynman    |

gklimes@gmu90x.UUCP (George Klimes) (05/25/89)

In article <5088@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
> I think I've finally settled on a VGA card.  It is a Tatung VGA.  Actually,
> Tatung puts their name on two VGA cards.  The one I like is a Video7 FastWrite

<Text deleted>

> But 256k allows 640 x 480 x 256 colors and
> 800 x 600 x 16 colors, which is sufficient for our needs.

It sure is! Do you happen to have some suppliers for the Tantung cards?
Are these cards truly clones?

By the way, do you happen to know of any great VGA monitor deals (obviously
ones that can handle the maximum resolution of the cards)?

[Oh, if you already answered such inquiries here, my apologies. I have only
recently acquired access to USENET, so I've got another, oh, 1000 messages
left in this conference!!!]