[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Binary Editors

pbach@itsgw.RPI.EDU (Peter Lauterbach) (08/18/87)

	In working in an administrative enviroment, it often comes
to pass that a user will come to me with a trashed disk. I can recover
just about anything with Norton and/or Mace. The big problem that I have
is trying to take a munged database or wp file, and try to edit it with
PC Write 2.7. This actually works great for files < 64K. I've tried RED,
which is very fast, but can't handle lines over 80 columns. The only thing
that seems to fit the bill is Wordstar, and it is soooo sloooow. Even the
new version of MicroEmacs barfs if there is a lot of extended characters
and long lines(unless I don't know how, but I haven't read the Scribe formatted
documentation :-) ). What I need pointers to are as follows...

		1) Must be FAST.

		2) Able to handle files > 64K ( up to disk size)

		3) Must be able to treat extended characters set as just that.

		4) Keyboard macros and or procedures would be nice.

		5) Relativley cheap, under $100.

	Reply directly to me with whatever experience you've had with this
stuff, and I'll summarize for the net.
Thanks.
--
    aka          : Peter Lauterbach
    BITNet       : USEREZ8Y@rpitsmts.bitnet

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (08/21/87)

In article <816@itsgw.RPI.EDU>, pbach@itsgw.RPI.EDU (Peter Lauterbach) writes:

> 	In working in an administrative enviroment, it often comes
> to pass that a user will come to me with a trashed disk.

We run Hexpose on a PC but of course the PC is running a real operating
system.  First get UNIX, then order HEXPOSE from us.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549,       +----------------+
Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX             | NO CONTRA AID! |

desmond@cod.NOSC.MIL (J. Desmond) (05/23/89)

I've looked at a great number of binary file editors and have found
none that have insertion capability.  I would like to use it to
put laser printer codes in specific points in a data file.  It doesn't
have to have a particularly impressive user interface.  Just be able
to insert.  Any suggestions?
-JM Desmond

nyenhuis@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (G. Nijenhuis) (05/24/89)

In article <1538@cod.NOSC.MIL> desmond@cod.NOSC.MIL (J. Desmond) writes:
>I've looked at a great number of binary file editors and have found
>none that have insertion capability.  I would like to use it to

The QED editor that comes with QDOS II (from Gazelle Systems) has a binary
mode with insertion capability. There are however almost no other features
in this mode (like find e.t.c.).
#  Gerrit Nijenhuis                 Internet :  nyenhuis@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl  #
#  Philips TDS, Dept. SSP           UUCP     :  ...!mcvax!philapd!nyenhuis    #
#  Apeldoorn, The Netherlands       Phone    :  +31 55 433327                 #

peggy@pyr.gatech.EDU (PEGGY PIEROTTI) (05/25/89)

In article <207@ssp7.idca.tds.philips.nl> nyenhuis@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (G. Nijenhuis) writes:
>In article <1538@cod.NOSC.MIL> desmond@cod.NOSC.MIL (J. Desmond) writes:
>>I've looked at a great number of binary file editors and have found
>>none that have insertion capability.  I would like to use it to
>
>The QED editor that comes with QDOS II (from Gazelle Systems) has a binary
>mode with insertion capability. There are however almost no other features
>in this mode (like find e.t.c.).
>#  Gerrit Nijenhuis                 Internet :  nyenhuis@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl  #

This  is true, but you can easily switch back and forth between
text and binary.  "find" works fine in text mode for finding arbitrary
byte patterns, and 'h' is all it takes to switch to hex mode.
No REs in find, though.

I use it this way fairly often.
cris

Cris Simpson
Computer Engineer

thorp@spudge.UUCP (Don Thorp) (05/25/89)

There is a binary editor called HexEdit for the PC.  It may be obtained from
a local BBS or from the author.  It's shareware.

REM Software Inc.
%Richard E. Morris
12812 East 21 Court
Tulsa, OK

24 Hour BBS - (918) 437-3837  (9600 baud)

Don Thorp