[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Why do people get new motherboards ? $$ ?

russ@pyr.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL SHACKELFORD) (05/19/89)

I am curious about all the postings asking for info about upgrading
old machines with new motherboards.  Specifically, I wonder if I'm
missing something...

In moving from an XT to AT, and from AT to 386, it has been my experience
that it's a good deal cheaper to shop for the best clone deal, buy a new
next-level-up machine that is packaged with monitor, etc., then sell the
old machine with the new cheap monitor that came with the new one. I
recently upgraded to a 20mhz 386 for a net cost of $400 this way.  Is it
POSSIBLE to upgrade via a new motherboard for so little.  Am I missing some-
thing?
--
Russell Shackelford
School of Information and Computer Science

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (05/22/89)

In article <8270@pyr.gatech.EDU> russ@pyr.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL SHACKELFORD) writes:

>I am curious about all the postings asking for info about upgrading
>old machines with new motherboards.  Specifically, I wonder if I'm
>missing something...

When you get out of engineering or CS school and start running into these
people called "accountants" you'll find out that, because of reasons as
obscure to us engineer/cs types as bits, bytes and TECO macros are to a
business major, it is often allowable to upgrade existing equipment while
wholesale (or even retail :-) ) replacement is prohibitive.  Usually not in
$$$ paid for the improvement, but in time spent in paperwork, justification
of replacement, disposition of the original asset, etc, etc, etc.  I think
the US Tax laws have something to do with it, too, but therein lie the
secrets of an accountant's livlihood, rarely disclosed to those not included
in the sanctum sanctorum.

kEITHe

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (05/25/89)

In article <5202@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
|When you get out of engineering or CS school and start running into these
|people called "accountants" [...]
|I think
|the US Tax laws have something to do with it, too, but therein lie the
|secrets of an accountant's livlihood, rarely disclosed to those not included
|in the sanctum sanctorum.

"You can't go around shooting people just because they deserve to die.
Otherwise there wouldn't be any accountants."

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

kevinc@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Kevin Crocker) (05/25/89)

In article <5202@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
> In article <8270@pyr.gatech.EDU> russ@pyr.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL SHACKELFORD) writes:
> >
> >I am curious about all the postings asking for info about upgrading
> >old machines with new motherboards.  Specifically, I wonder if I'm
> >missing something...
> >

> When you get out of engineering or CS school and start running into these
> people called "accountants" you'll find out that, because of reasons as
> obscure to us engineer/cs types as bits, bytes and TECO macros are to a
> business major, it is often allowable to upgrade existing equipment while
> wholesale (or even retail :-) ) replacement is prohibitive.  Usually not in
> $$$ paid for the improvement, but in time spent in paperwork, justification
> of replacement, disposition of the original asset, etc, etc, etc.  I think
> the US Tax laws have something to do with it, too, but therein lie the
> secrets of an accountant's livlihood, rarely disclosed to those not included
> in the sanctum sanctorum.
>
> kEITHe

Keith sort of has it right.  Often the actual dollar cost of buying a
new system seems lower to just get a whole new system wholesale the
added costs associated with overhead, allocated costs, and especially
depreciation make this hot new deal not really worth the nominal dollar
savings.

To do a proper analysis, from an accounting (actually more properly
from a financial perspective) requires a break even analysis that
incorporates the expected life of the old machine and the replacement
costs of the new machine.  This is a typical exercise in capital
budgeting.  It is rarely worth the effort to do this kind of analysis
on less than an entire complement of machines (i.e. at least $100,00
min) because of the factored overhead of using the financial and
computational resources to do this analysis.  Just like in the world of
computing where systems analysis and design is one method of
determining the resources required to perform a programming schedule,
capital budgeting requires a rather sophisticated decision analysis and
b-tree like extrapolation of costs and probabilities.  Now once all
this information is collected then a computer program can chunk it out
in a rather short period of time.

AS a person who sits right smack in the middle of all three
camps (computing, accounting, and finance) I have found that
computing services, in general, does not even grasp the
financial perspective -- but then of course I feel that most
accountants don't either but that's another story. :-)

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc,attvcr}!atha!kevinc

chris@utgard.UUCP (Chris Anderson) (05/26/89)

In article <31744@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>"You can't go around shooting people just because they deserve to die.
>Otherwise there wouldn't be any accountants."

Or any lawyers...
Or any insurers...
Or any politicians...

--
| Chris Anderson, 						       |
| QMA, Inc.		        email : {csusac,sactoh0}!utgard!chris  |