[comp.sys.ibm.pc] compression algorithms wanted

wainscot@spam.berkeley.edu (Brian Wainscott) (05/25/89)

Looking for pointers to any/all source code/algorithms for data compression
routines.  Probably will be interested mostly in ascii text files, but may
want to be compressing binary also, so any info I can get would be GREAT!

I already know about LZW, and have heard about adaptive LZW (how does this
work?).  I've also seen at least one Arithmetic encoding scheme.  Anyone
know about where to find this stuff?  All help greatly appreciated.
Please respond through e-mail to wainscot@math.berkeley.edu   If sufficient
interest, I will post summary to net.  Thanks!
 Brian Wainscott        Graduate Student       U.C. Berkeley
 wainscot@math.berkeley.edu

paulc@microsoft.UUCP (Paul Canniff 2/1011) (05/26/89)

In article <24810@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> wainscot@spam.berkeley.edu (Brian Wainscott) writes:

>Looking for pointers to any/all source code/algorithms for data compression
>routines.  Probably will be interested mostly in ascii text files, but may
>want to be compressing binary also, so any info I can get would be GREAT!

Try _Data Compression_, James A. Sotrer, Computer Science Press,
1803 Research Blvd, Rockville, MD 20850  USA

godsil@hsi.UUCP (Joe Godsil) (05/26/89)

In article <5818@microsoft.UUCP> paulc@microsoft.UUCP (Paul Canniff 2/1011) writes:
>In article <24810@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> wainscot@spam.berkeley.edu (Brian Wainscott) writes:
>>
>>Looking for pointers to any/all source code/algorithms for data compression
>>routines.  Probably will be interested mostly in ascii text files, but may
>>want to be compressing binary also, so any info I can get would be GREAT!
>
>Try _Data Compression_, James A. Sotrer, Computer Science Press,
>1803 Research Blvd, Rockville, MD 20850  USA

The information on the book is:

               Data Compression: Methods and Theory
               James A Storer
               ISBN: 0-88175-161-8

I have found it to be very good reference material.  I purchased the
book from Computer Literacy.  Their phone number is (408)435-1118.

 Joseph Godsil                                {uunet | yale}!hsi!godsil
 Health Systems International                           -or-
 100 Broadway                                       godsil@hsi.com
 New Haven, CT  06511   (203) 562-2101

 #include 	<std.disclaimer>