[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Dead Laptop

grego@scruffy.sgi.com (Greg Orsini) (05/26/89)

HELP!  My Toshiba T1000 laptop died.  I ran it on internal power only until
it ran out of power (I'm color blind so I can't see the power light change
from green to red indicating battery low).  This has happened before.  I
just plug it in and let it charge.  This time it just doesn't seem to take.
I opened up the machine and probed around with a volt meter.  The batteries
were at about 4.2 volts.  I believe they should be close to 5.  I unplug the
batteries from the motherboard and checked voltage on the motherboard battery
socket, about 1 volt.  Hmmm.  I check the transformer output, 9 V.  I plugged
it back into the laptop and found 9V on the motherboard.  Hmmm.

Well, I had read the article on the net recently about replacing batteries
in laptops so I decided to give it a try.  I bought some new Everready quick
charging NiCads.  Says on the package it will charge in 7 hours.  I replaced
the batteries and the system worked.  But only while the transformer is
plugged in.  When I unplug it, this system dies in about 10-15 minutes.

What have I done?

Any help any of you can offer will be appreciated.  Greatly.

Regards,  Greg Orsini
(408) 476-5292
grego@scruffy.sgi.com    ucbvaxsgi.com!grego

mike@relgyro.stanford.edu (Mike Macgirvin) (05/27/89)

In article <33644@sgi.SGI.COM> grego@scruffy.sgi.com (Greg Orsini) writes:
>HELP!  My Toshiba T1000 laptop died.  I ran it on internal power only until
>
>Well, I had read the article on the net recently about replacing batteries
>in laptops so I decided to give it a try.  I bought some new Everready quick
>charging NiCads.  Says on the package it will charge in 7 hours.  I replaced
	Most Ni-cads need to be 'trained'. Charge/discharge them 5 or 6
times, then they manage to hold a charge after that.

	     "There must be some kind of way out of here."
        Mike Macgirvin - mike@relgyro.stanford.edu (36.64.0.50)