[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Req for IBM AT Battery Part number ? IBM do not know it !!!

gap@stl.stc.co.uk (Gerald Pearse) (05/23/89)

IBM - and there QUALITY OF SERVICE ?

I have just spent three hours trying to get a part number out of IBM
for a Battery.

It all started last week when I ordered the part from a local dealer.
It was the wrong item. I returned the part, and he forwarded the
alternative battery listed for the IBM AT. That also was the wrong
part - even though they are using the IBM Parts system.

After this, the dealer suggested I contact the UK IBM Technical Support
Centre. When I contacted them the person was very rude and totally
unhelpfull. The reply I kept getting was " We can not help any one
except authorised dealers". Even though the dealer - one of the
largest in the country referred me to them. They would not even
provide me with any further phone numbers !!  (How is that for QUALITY
OF SERVICE )

Well after phoning around various IBM sales outlets, I obtained the
phone number for the IBM Direct Part Sales Desk. They said I could order
direct from them - but - but - but - they need a part number.

Well here we go again I thought. So here I am getting fed up, if you
cannot get a battery out of IBM what must it be like for other parts
!!.

Well the bottom line is - has anyone ordered an IBM battery, and have
they a Part No I could have.

Model:  EARLY style IBM AT - old style keyboard
Model No: 5170

Battery: 6.8v Lithium, rectangular in shape, with flying leads and
				plug that connects to motherboard..

Regards,

        Gerald Pearse (gp@stl  ...!mcvax!ukc!stl!gp  +44-279-29531 x 2224)

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (05/27/89)

In article <1472@stl.stc.co.uk> gap@stl.stc.co.uk (Gerald Pearse) writes:
>IBM - and there QUALITY OF SERVICE ?

>Well here we go again I thought. So here I am getting fed up, if you
>cannot get a battery out of IBM what must it be like for other parts
>!!.

Do yourself a favor.. don't ever do that again! :-)
Now I am telling you nothing you don't already know now, IBM's
bureaucracy is worst than your goverments (UK) and mine (USA)
put together.. I mean you could get an ulcer from tring it.
I order to succeed you would have to have the mentality of a civil servant..
god knows we have enough of those! :-)

>Well the bottom line is - has anyone ordered an IBM battery, and have
>they a Part No I could have.
>
>Model:  EARLY style IBM AT - old style keyboard
>Model No: 5170
>
>Battery: 6.8v Lithium, rectangular in shape, with flying leads and
>				plug that connects to motherboard..
You have the spec's.. use someone else's.. there is nothing special
about a battery from IBM.. other than the %200 markup for the overhead.
Cut the leads and put them on another 6.8v Lithium Cell.