[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386 and 286 Unix OS's

rwmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Rob Miracle) (05/22/89)

I have my asbestos suit on........

I need some information of Unix OS's for PCs.  I am probably going to set up a
multi-USER system for some one.  He has a Gateway 2000 386 machine currently (I
believe) but has no multi com boards other than the two serial cards in the
machine.  What I need is some information (product reviews) on any PC Unix,
what it needs to run, what I need to develop software, rough costs etc.

Some of the specific questions I have are:
  Whats Available?
  How much does it cost?
  Where can I get it?
  How does it work with DOS?
  Product Support
  Personal Opinions
  Etc.

Please E-Mail, I will post a summary.

Thanks in Advance
Rob
---
Rob Miracle              | Bitnet   : RWMIRA01@ULKYVX    CIS: 74216,3134
Programmer/Analyst-II    | INTERNET : rwmira01%ulkyvx.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
University of Louisville | UUCP     : ...psuvax1!ulkyvx.bitnet!rwmira01
"Be patient, or be a patient!"  -- Anton Devious (I believe)

wek@point ([Bill Kuykendall]) (05/24/89)

>I need some information of Unix OS's for PCs.  I am probably going to set up
>multi-USER system for some one.  He has a Gateway 2000 386 machine currently

Hmm... you need to supply a bit more information.  Does this person
primarily want to run DOS applications?  If so, unix is probably not the way
to go, if there will be more than 3 users on at a time.

One other thing to consider about unix:  If you aren't already familiar with
it (read that "a capable system administrator") you'd better set aside about
6 months to learn it before you allow anyone to become dependent on the
system.  Unix is *not* a remake of ms-dos, and minicomputer operating
systems are not for the timid.

Now, to answer your question, I've been using Interactive unix with VP/ix
(dos under unix) for several months and like it very much.  Buy it from a
VAR, because you WILL need support.

rwmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Rob Miracle) (05/26/89)

In article <[232.1]wek@point.comp.ibmpc;1> wek@point ([Bill Kuykendall]) writes:
>>I need some information of Unix OS's for PCs.  I am probably going to set up
>>multi-USER system for some one.  He has a Gateway 2000 386 machine currently
>
>Hmm... you need to supply a bit more information.  Does this person
>primarily want to run DOS applications?  If so, unix is probably not the way
>to go, if there will be more than 3 users on at a time.

No, he is setting up a multi-user information system with all proprietary stuff.

I doubt that there will be much more than line IO (No CURSES etc).  So I am not
to concerned with if it has Xwindows, Dosmerge, and is compliant with such and
such.

What I need is something that will allow multi-users accessing a common
database of information that runs on a 386 machine.  As far as I know, only a
Unix-like OS will work.  MOS-386 is a consideration, but I have zero knowledge
of that (other than it is supposed to be DOS).

>One other thing to consider about unix:  If you aren't already familiar with
>it (read that "a capable system administrator") you'd better set aside about
>6 months to learn it before you allow anyone to become dependent on the
>system.  Unix is *not* a remake of MS-DOS, and minicomputer operating
>systems are not for the timid.

Well, I personally have ran a sizable VAX site (in my real job) and I know some
about Unix.  In other words, I can create accounts, compile programs, use VI,
ls, cat, more, man, etc.  I will need good documentation because when it comes
to writing shell scripts and any thing other than creating an account I know
little about maintaining Unix (though I have some good friends who are unix
hacks to depend on.)

The owner isn't that lucky.  He is a relative computer novice and he will
probably have to contract me to maintain the system.

>Now, to answer your question, I've been using Interactive unix with VP/ix
>(DOS under unix) for several months and like it very much.  Buy it from a
>VAR, because you WILL need support.

Who is VAR?

Thanks,
Rob
--
Rob Miracle              | Bitnet   : RWMIRA01@ULKYVX    CIS: 74216,3134
Programmer/Analyst-II    | INTERNET : rwmira01%ulkyvx.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
University of Louisville | UUCP     : ...psuvax1!ulkyvx.bitnet!rwmira01
"Many truths that we cling to are only true from a certain point of view."
      -- Obewon Kinobi

grego@scruffy.sgi.com (Greg Orsini) (05/27/89)

In article <25rwmira01@ULKYVX.bitnet>, rwmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Rob Miracle) writes:
> In article <[232.1]wek@point.comp.ibmpc;1> wek@point ([Bill Kuykendall]) writes:
> >>I need some information of Unix OS's for PCs.  I am probably going to set up
> >>multi-USER system for some one.  He has a Gateway 2000 386 machine currently
>
> What I need is something that will allow multi-users accessing a common
> database of information that runs on a 386 machine.  As far as I know, only a
> Unix-like OS will work.  MOS-386 is a consideration, but I have zero knowledge
> of that (other than it is supposed to be DOS).
                           ^^^^^^^  MOS-386.
I cannot recommend using PC-MOS386, but I can recommend against it having used
it for awhile.  It is quite common for it to:

  - freeze one or more tasks on the system.
  - create garbage files which cannot be deleted.
  - run slow as a dog with only a few tasks.
  - tell you it cannot run the DOS software you wrote/bought.
  - reset itself.

I would avoid this.  It wasn't my decision to buy it, but it was mine to junk
it.

Regards, Greg Orsini                I don't work for Silicon Graphics.
grego@scruffy.sgi.com                  I'm 'just' a contractor.

asgard@cpro.uucp (J.R. Stoner) (05/27/89)

From article <25rwmira01@ULKYVX.bitnet>,
by rwmira01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Rob Miracle):
> No, he is setting up a multi-user information system with all proprietary
> stuff.  I doubt that there will be much more than line IO (No CURSES etc).
> So I am not too concerned with if it has Xwindows, Dosmerge, and is compliant
> with such and such.
>
> What I need is something that will allow multi-users accessing a common
> database of information that runs on a 386 machine.  As far as I know, only a
> Unix-like OS will work.  MOS-386 is a consideration, but I have zero knowledge
> of that (other than it is supposed to be DOS).

Concurrent DOS 386 rel 2.1 from Digital Research is something you should
look at.  It appears to *exactly* match your requirements, plus things you
might find *very* interesting.
It is multi-user/multi-tasking with IPC goodies for your programs, plus
network (MSNET or Novell).  Runs on vanilla 386 clones and Compaq.
If you are going proprietary with your user code then you can get OEM deals
for the OS.

> The owner isn't that lucky.  He is a relative computer novice and he will
> probably have to contract me to maintain the system.

If you are going to be using code you have written I would hope you do not
let end-users parachute into it and expect to go without *any* handholding?

> Who is VAR?

Value-Added Reseller.  In essence, any dealer or OEM who adds value to a
product, whether service, repair, or enhanced programs.
--
				| J.R. (May the Source be With You) Stoner
"Dying is easy -		| {amdahl,hplabs,decwrl}!pacbell!cpro!asgard
	Comedy is hard."	| asgard@cpro.uucp	asgard@well.uucp