[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need Kill for DOS!

dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) (05/24/89)

I need a DOS routine which can remove memory resident programs short of
CTRL-ALT-DEL.  I am trying to run novell over ethernet and when I execute
telnet, I trash the novell ethernet device driver.  If I could kill it off
before running the telnet, I could reinstall it cleanly when telnet exits.
All I need is Kill -9 for DOS!  (Can you sense the frustration?, Im so close,
but the novell device driver is the last holdup from the system we really want.)
Any help or ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Tom Dixon
uunet!pdn!dixon

wnr@otter.hpl.hp.com (Nigel Rea) (05/25/89)

Hi,
   I think what you are looking for are the TSR utilities Mark and Release
, which can be found in tsrcom27.arc (possibly 28 or 29 by now) on simtel 20.

have fun
....Nigel

trgauchat@rose.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) (05/25/89)

In article <6111@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) writes:

>I need a DOS routine which can remove memory resident programs short of
>CTRL-ALT-DEL.  I am trying to run novell over ethernet and when I execute
>telnet, I trash the novell ethernet device driver.  If I could kill it off
>before running the telnet, I could reinstall it cleanly when telnet exits.

Ever heard of MARK.COM and RELEASE.COM -- I think they are PD.
(I have them anyway :) ).

Does what you want, I think.  Ask me for details...

...Terry
MicroCosmic Computer Services.

rdas@hatter.Tops.Sun.COM (Robin Das) (05/26/89)

In article <6111@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) writes:

>I need a DOS routine which can remove memory resident programs short of
>CTRL-ALT-DEL.  I am trying to run novell over ethernet and when I execute
>telnet, I trash the novell ethernet device driver.  If I could kill it off
>before running the telnet, I could reinstall it cleanly when telnet exits.
>All I need is Kill -9 for DOS!  (Can you sense the frustration?, Im so close,
>but the novell device driver is the last holdup from the system we really want.)

There is a set of programs in the public domain called MARK and RELEASE.  The
idea is to set a MARK before Novell and then release that mark later. I have
no idea where to find it, but it should be around somewhere.  Note!!! You
have to be very carefull with stuff like this.  It DOES NOT give the program
that is being released a chance to clean up it's environment.

kevinc@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Kevin Crocker) (05/30/89)

In article <626@suntops.Tops.Sun.COM>, rdas@hatter.Tops.Sun.COM (Robin Das) writes:
> In article <6111@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) writes:
> >
> >I need a DOS routine which can remove memory resident programs short of
> >CTRL-ALT-DEL.  I am trying to run novell over ethernet and when I execute
>
> There is a set of programs in the public domain called MARK and RELEASE.  The
> idea is to set a MARK before Novell and then release that mark later. I have
> no idea where to find it, but it should be around somewhere.  Note!!! You
> have to be very carefull with stuff like this.  It DOES NOT give the program
> that is being released a chance to clean up it's environment.

I just looked at the documentation for the new replacements for MARK
adn RELEASE called WorkTSRS.  This new set of utilities permit you to
put a mark prior to a tsr and then when you need to release that tsr
later WITHOUT LOOSING THE INTERUPT CHAIN OR MAKING A WHOLE IN MEMORY.
I have only done rudimentary tests and it seems to work O.K. but do be
careful.  These utilities are copyrighted but are available for use
and distribution.  They came across the net a short time ago so they
should be in a local archive somewhere if anyone needs them.  I have
always found them to be nice and reliable.

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc,attvcr}!atha!kevinc