[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Tandy 1400 LT

gklimes@gmu90x.UUCP (George Klimes) (05/26/89)

I just noticed that the Tandy 1400LT has gone on sale for $999. Is Tandy
going to discontinue this model?

scott@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Scott Linn) (05/27/89)

/ hpcvca:comp.sys.ibm.pc / gklimes@gmu90x.UUCP (George Klimes) /  1:58 pm  May 25, 1989 /
>I just noticed that the Tandy 1400LT has gone on sale for $999. Is Tandy
>going to discontinue this model?
----------

Also, does anyone have any information regarding this computer?  Is it
a fairly robust portable?  Any experiences?

Scott Linn

gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Greg A. Hooten) (05/31/89)

In article <5640010@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> scott@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Scott Linn) writes:
>>I just noticed that the Tandy 1400LT has gone on sale for $999. Is Tandy
>>going to discontinue this model?
>----------
>
>Also, does anyone have any information regarding this computer?  Is it
>a fairly robust portable?  Any experiences?
>
>Scott Linn

I have just purchased this computer.  The computer is well
built with a good (a little mushy) keyboard, but acceptable
for fast typing.

The machine is strongly built, with a display that is easy to
read in direct sun, and also backlit for easy reading in low
light.  The brightness knob goes from dark (blue) to light
(white) with infinite adjustments in between.  The resulution
is CGA.

It has external connectors for RS-232 (9 pin), parallel, CGA
screen, Monochrome screen, XT keyboard, and two propriatory
slots for say a modem.  It also has what appears to be a SCSI
port, that is called an external disk drive port.  If it is
SCSI, then this adds a wealth of power, but the documentation
on the capabilities of any ports SUCK.  I would need a pinout
to tell if it is truely a SCSI port.

The manuals are nothing less than abominal.  I know DOS inside
an out, and it is a good thing.  The rest of the instructions
are simple, and simplistic allowing only for the very basic
user.  If you want more knowledge, or want hints on use, they
do not exist.

It has two internal 720K disk drives, and 128k of ram disk
(auto configured at boot.)  It uses DOS 3.2, and I have not
tried any other version.  There is a Phoenix Bios # 2.51.70
The tandy dos version is 3.20.04.  The machine has both a
clock and calendar that is battery backed.

At $1799, it is a boat anchor, at $999, I feel it is a best
buy.

Greg Hooten