[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Lotus WKS Format

neil@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Neil A. Law) (06/29/88)

    We are creating an application that takes data records captured from
    a remote terminal and converts this data into a format readable by
    a data base or spread sheet program.  Ideally we would like to provide
    one of two formats: ASCII and LOTUS 1-2-3.

    The ASCII format is easy enough to create and provide a method for the
    user to "program" the actual output format.  The LOTUS format is a little
    tougher.  So far I have been unable to track down the format of a LOTUS
    WKS file.

    I would appreciate if some kind soul could email me a definition of a
    WKS file or how I might obtain a definition (e.g. reference books, etc).

    Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

---- Neil ----                                    N.Law@Waterloo.NCR.COM
                 {sdcsvax,cbosgd,pyramid}!ncr-sd!ncrlnk!ncrwat!swdev!neil

jbrown@jplpub1.jpl.nasa.gov (Jordan Brown) (06/30/88)

In article <322@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM> neil@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Neil A. Law) writes:
>    I would appreciate if some kind soul could email me a definition of a
>    WKS file or how I might obtain a definition (e.g. reference books, etc).

File Formats for Popular PC Software, Jeff Walden, Wiley Press, $24.95.
Op-Amp Books in Hollywood has it, and they take phone orders.  213-464-4322.

I haven't really used this book, and have never looked at the 123 section,
but it lists 123 on the cover, so I assume it has *some* info...

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/01/88)

In article <7157@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> jbrown@jplpub1.UUCP (Jordan Brown) writes:

>File Formats for Popular PC Software, Jeff Walden, Wiley Press, $24.95.
>Op-Amp Books in Hollywood has it, and they take phone orders.  213-464-4322.
>
>I haven't really used this book, and have never looked at the 123 section,
>but it lists 123 on the cover, so I assume it has *some* info...

It's all there. This book is a *must* for anyone dealing with DOS applications
like 123, Wordstar, Dbase, etc.
--
{alberta,pyramid,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA

terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) (07/16/88)

In article <322@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM> neil@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Neil A. Law) writes:
>    I would appreciate if some kind soul could email me a definition of a
>    WKS file or how I might obtain a definition (e.g. reference books, etc).

Lotus sells one entitled "Lotus File Format", or something like it, to
software developers.  I have it, but not in front of me.  It covers token
formats for both Lotus 1-2-3 and Symphony.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 } ...utah-cs!century!terry |
| @ Century Software        OR: ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'Signatures; it's not how long you make them, it's how you make them long!' |

ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian Patrick Arnold) (05/25/89)

We are developing an application to convert "spreadsheet-like" information
into the IBM Lotus 123 "WKS" format, or optionally into a Lotus-importable
format.  We need to know where to find published information on this format
or on a compatible format.  If anyone has tips or suggestions as to finding
this information, we would appreciate any help you can give.  Thank you.

- Brian

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (05/26/89)

You should get a book called File Formats for Popular PC Software
by Jeff Walden.

--
Bill Wilson                          (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm)
Northern AZ Univ

pjw@usna.MIL (Peter Welcher ) (05/29/89)

In article <1474@naucse.UUCP>, wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:
> You should get a book called File Formats for Popular PC Software
> by Jeff Walden.

The official reference is
	Lotus File Formats for 1-2-3 (etc.)
	Lotus Books and Addison-Wesley Pub. Co.
	ISBN 0-201-16824-3

If you care about Lotus 2.2 and 3.0 formats, you may have to wait
another 6 months, based on a recent query.
On the other hand, there apparently is not much new info in the
files (based on testing by a friend). The format is record
oriented, so you can just chuck the ones you don't know about.
Or build a linked list and echo back, or do hex dump, or whatever.

BTW, a product I was once working on should appear soon from Brady
Books. It is a library for PC's, C or Turbo Pascal. It greatly
simplifies .WK1 file i/o. The reviewers liked it, anyway. Name when
last seen was something like WKS Toolkit. Expected publication date:
any day now. Seriously !

There is a product out already with a name like WKSLIB. I see it
in the C User's Journal ads. It does Lotus and DBase i/o, apparently.

For UNIX systems, I haven't seen anything. Roll your own ?

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/31/89)

The reason you will have to wait for V3.0 formats is that Lotus itself doesn't
know it yet!

Milan
mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (05/31/89)

In article <0YT2aDy00WB-QC-kEt@andrew.cmu.edu> ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian Patrick Arnold) writes:
<We are developing an application to convert "spreadsheet-like" information
<into the IBM Lotus 123 "WKS" format, or optionally into a Lotus-importable
<format.  We need to know where to find published information on this format
<or on a compatible format.  If anyone has tips or suggestions as to finding
<this information, we would appreciate any help you can give.  Thank you.

Well, there are books that give the format of both WKS and WK1 files, but
if all you are porting is *data* (ie no formulas or macros), then there
is a much simpler solution.

Using the <F>ile <I>mport <N>umbers function 123 will cheerfully import
data in comma delimited format with quoted strings:
"String data",1,5.67,"more string data"
"Still more data",3.14,8,"even more string data"

would load as:
String data	1	5.67	more string data
Still more data	3.14	8	even more string data

This format also has the advantage of being importable to dBase, and being
readable by BASIC programs (and routines to read it are easily written in
other languages).
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]