[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Can I use my Compaq in the UK?

peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) (05/27/89)

I've got a Compaq Deskpro and am planning to emigrate to England in about 6
months.  Do I *need* to sell my machine before leaving, or can I take it
with me?

One person told me that there might be a switch on the power supply, but
after taking the cover off and looking around, I couldn't find anything that
resembled a switch.  If there is a switch, where would one find it?  [Note:
the manuals that came with the machine, keep referring to AC power]

It has also been suggested that I can get a power converter.  Can anyone
tell me about these?  Cost? Size? Availability?  RELIABILITY? [especially in
regards to using on a computer]

I guess I'd need a new modem, too (yes/no?)

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Peggy

Peg Shambo           | Anybody know of any IDMS/ADSO positions in
peggy@ddsw1.mcs.com  | the South of England? (London, Southampton,

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (05/29/89)

In article <3526@ddsw1.MCS.COM> peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) writes:
<
<I've got a Compaq Deskpro and am planning to emigrate to England in about 6
<months.  Do I *need* to sell my machine before leaving, or can I take it
<with me?
<
<One person told me that there might be a switch on the power supply, but
<after taking the cover off and looking around, I couldn't find anything that
<resembled a switch.  If there is a switch, where would one find it?  [Note:
<the manuals that came with the machine, keep referring to AC power]

*** WARNING - the following will void any warrenty that may exist ***

If the power supply in your DeskPro is anything near the supplies used in the
older 386/20 units (before they shrunk the case), then the supply can be
quickly modified to work with 240 volts.  The supply is a switcher type that
used capacitor voltage doubling.  If you take out the supply and open it up,
you will find a soldered jumper opposite side of the circuit board from the
AC input connector.  It will be near the edge, near the large caps.  It is the
only wire jumper (very short) on the board.  Cutting it will stop the voltage
AC doubling circuit and will then work with 240 volts.  You will need to also
change the fuse to 1/2 the current value.  Be sure to buy time delay fuses.

Compaq told us that we couldn't make the supplies work with 240.  I opened
one up, noticed the doubling circuit and checked it out.  We shipped some
units overseas and they are still working.

If you have a Compaq monitor, the supply in that cannot be modified.  You will
need a voltage stepdown transformer for that.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

hashemi@leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) (05/31/89)

In article <3526@ddsw1.MCS.COM> peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) writes:

>I've got a Compaq Deskpro and am planning to emigrate to England in about 6
What they refer to as a switch is a jumper that could be switched to one of
two soldered posts(normally marked as 110/220). Just open the power supply
and look for these posts. Good luck, and have a safe trip!!.

peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) (05/31/89)

In article <1952@astroatc.UUCP> brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>In article <3526@ddsw1.MCS.COM> peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) writes:

><I've got a Compaq Deskpro and am planning to emigrate to England in about 6
><months.  Do I *need* to sell my machine before leaving, or can I take it
><with me?
>
>*** WARNING - the following will void any warrenty that may exist ***

No problem.  The warranty expired a *long* time ago.

[... instructions on cutting jumper deleted... ]

>Compaq told us that we couldn't make the supplies work with 240.  I opened
>one up, noticed the doubling circuit and checked it out.  We shipped some
>units overseas and they are still working.

Thank you for your advice.  I'll open the case up again later and check it
out.

>If you have a Compaq monitor, the supply in that cannot be modified.  You will
>need a voltage stepdown transformer for that.

Dumb question... since the monitor gets it power supply through the CPU
unit, shouldn't the power supply modification suffice?

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (06/01/89)

In article <3547@ddsw1.MCS.COM> peggy@ddsw1.UUCP (Peggy Shambo) writes:
<In article <1952@astroatc.UUCP> brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
<>If you have a Compaq monitor, the supply in that cannot be modified.  You will
<>need a voltage stepdown transformer for that.
<
<Dumb question... since the monitor gets it power supply through the CPU
<unit, shouldn't the power supply modification suffice?

Humm, the Compaq monitors that I have seen get their power from the AC line.
I forgot to ask the type of monitor that you have.  I vaguely remember
some kind of DC power connector for a different monitor.  We only had the
EGA monitor where I was and it was AC powered with its own AC switch.  If
the power comes from a special DC connector on the Compaq then you should be
OK, if it is AC powered, then you may be in trouble.  Also, if there is a
DC power connector for a monitor, the power supply may be really different
from the one that we had, as ours didn't have a monitor connection.