[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Extended memory determination

rdas@hatter.Tops.Sun.COM (Robin Das) (06/02/89)

Does anyone know how to determine how much extended memory is available on a 286 or 386
processor?

ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Raymond Dunn) (06/02/89)

In article <630@hatter.Tops.Sun.COM> rdas@hatter.Tops.Sun.COM (Robin Das) writes:
>Does anyone know how to determine how much extended memory is available on
>a 286 or 386 processor?

RTFM

BIOS call INT 15 with AH = 88h returns carry set if error, else number of 1K
blocks above 1Meg as stored in the CMOS and checked by the BIOS during Power
On Self Test.

--
Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ..!uunet!philmtl!ray
Philips Electronics Ltd.     | TEL : (514) 744-8200  Ext: 2347

rob@conexch.UUCP (Robert Collins) (06/03/89)

In article <630@hatter.Tops.Sun.COM> rdas@hatter.Tops.Sun.COM (Robin Das) writes:
>Does anyone know how to determine how much extended memory is available on a 286 or 386
>processor?

There are a couple of ways to do it:
1) There is a CMOS word available for how much RAM is currently in the RAM
   Pool.  The current RAM pool is defined as how much RAM is available after
   VDISK, DISK_CACHE and other utilities that use, or reside in extended
   memory.
2) There is another CMOS word available for how much RAM is in the system.
   This is regardless of VDISK et al.
3) Do it the way the SYSTEM BIOS does it during POST.  This is very
   dangerous since in order to determine how much ram is there, you must
   look for ram being written to 2 locations (a non-existant address
   line).  And guess where you will overwrite using this method?  Right
   over your interrupt vectors.

I'm sure some other users can give you the CMOS locations, as I'm too
lazy right now to look them up.

--
"Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."  Mat. 4:10
Robert Collins                 UUCP:  ucbvax!ucivax!icnvax!conexch!rob