[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 1.2M or 1.44M drive for ATT6300?

yuichi@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Yuichi Shoda) (06/04/89)

I have an older AT&T 6300 and am wondering if I can use a high capacity
floppy drive for it. Given the relatively low cost of blank diskettes, I
prefer to get a 5.25" 1.2M drive. But if that can't be done, can I use a
3.5" 1.44M drive?

The floppy controller is on the motherboard itself, so I can't replace it
with a newer controller easily. Can I disable it somehow and put in a new
controller?  I don't think it's possible but could it possibly be that all
I need is a device driver? Or, perhaps I can put in a contoller and consider
a new drive a third drive, in addition to the existing two that are contolled
by the controller-on-the-motherboard.

I'd appreciate hearing from those of you who have done it, or those who
learned that it couldn't be done.

Thanks!

trgauchat@rose.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) (06/04/89)

In article <1565@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> yuichi@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Yuichi Shoda) writes:
}
}I have an older AT&T 6300 and am wondering if I can use a high capacity
}floppy drive for it. Given the relatively low cost of blank diskettes, I
}prefer to get a 5.25" 1.2M drive. But if that can't be done, can I use a
}3.5" 1.44M drive?

Buy reasonable quality regular density 3-1/2" diskettes (< $30 for 10),
and drill a hole in each of them where conveniently marked...
Instant high density 3-1/2" diskettes for less than half the going rate.

...Terry
MicroCosmic Computer Services

and President of the International Coalition Against Deceit by Disk
Manufacturers. (PICADDM) ? :)

(80% bad sectors my foot!)

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (06/05/89)

In article <1565@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, yuichi@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Yuichi Shoda) writes:

> I have an older AT&T 6300 and am wondering if I can use a high capacity
> floppy drive for it. Given the relatively low cost of blank diskettes, I
> prefer to get a 5.25" 1.2M drive. But if that can't be done, can I use a
> 3.5" 1.44M drive?
>
> The floppy controller is on the motherboard itself, so I can't replace it
> with a newer controller easily. Can I disable it somehow and put in a new
> controller?  I don't think it's possible but could it possibly be that all
> I need is a device driver? Or, perhaps I can put in a contoller and consider
> a new drive a third drive, in addition to the existing two that are contolled
> by the controller-on-the-motherboard.

The easy answer is that the built-in floppy controller is not capable of
supporting the 1.2MB drives.  One possibility that I have used successfully
is to use a 720K drive, either 5.25 or 3.5 inch.  This can be done with
nothing more than a software change using either DRIVPARM or DRIVER.SYS.

Another possibility is to use an external controller.  I have less
experience with this, but I know it is possible to disable the on-board
controller by lifting pin 17 of the IO decoder PAL, a 24 pin socketed
device next to the BIOS ROMs on the motherboard.  After doing that, it
should be possible to use any of a number of third party disk controllers,
including the kind that support both 360K and 1.2MB or 1.44MB drives.

Disclaimer:  THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED BY AT&T AND
WILL UNDOUBTABLY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.  YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.