[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Sector Editor Needed

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (05/26/89)

Can somebody recommend a decent sector editor?  I'd prefer a PD program,
but I'll buy one if the quality is there.  I have a program with an
imbedded serial number that I want to alter so the editor needs to have
a search function in it.  Thanks.

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Columbia U, where the women
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |are few and the sheep are
(c)All rights reserved.       |nervous.  :-)

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (05/26/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.612129889.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>Can somebody recommend a decent sector editor?  I'd prefer a PD program,
>but I'll buy one if the quality is there.  I have a program with an
>imbedded serial number that I want to alter so the editor needs to have
>a search function in it.  Thanks.

P.C. Tools deLuxe has a good sector editor.

It's not PD but not very expensive.

                                        Michael

shapiro@rb-dc1.UUCP (Mike Shapiro) (06/02/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.612129889.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>Can somebody recommend a decent sector editor?  I'd prefer a PD program,
>but I'll buy one if the quality is there.  I have a program with an
>imbedded serial number that I want to alter so the editor needs to have
>a search function in it.  Thanks.

I usually use the Norton Utilities (Advanced) package, which includes
a sector editor.  With the whole package of utilities, I think it's a
good buy.

Be careful in changing the displayed serial number of software.  Some
packages have implemented a protection package which will not allow
the software to run if the serial number has been altered.  Various
schemes, such as checksums or comparisons to encoded versions are
used.  If your software uses one of these and you change the serial
number, you may also need to find and disable the check.

--
Michael Shapiro, Encore Computer Corporation (formerly Gould/GSD)
15378 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128

rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) (06/06/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.612129889.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>Can somebody recommend a decent sector editor?  I'd prefer a PD program,
>but I'll buy one if the quality is there.  I have a program with an
>imbedded serial number that I want to alter so the editor needs to have
>a search function in it.  Thanks.

I have a sector level editor that is shareware (I believe!).  It is called
"DT" (I think).  I could get the author's name and address for those who
are interested.  It lets the user view the contents of a diskette by raw
sector, or files sector by sector.  The display is full screen, and the
contents of a sector can be modified by moving the cursor to the byte and
typing over what's there (I think there's an ASCII mode as well so that
one doesn't *have* to think in hex.).  A single key will then rewrite that
sector to disk.  Don't know if there are search functions available.

        roger         rzh%freedom.llnl.gov@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
                      {uunet,ames,ucbvax,..}!lll-lcc!freedom!rzh
    Upstairs, Over a Vacant Lot, Inc.