[comp.sys.ibm.pc] "Tree" listing files and sizes

djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (05/24/89)

This *has* to be simple, but the solution eludes me...

It's time to clean up the old hard disk, which is up to 97 subdirectories
and around 1700 files (2/3 of a 30 MB HD is full already??).  Since two of
us share this device, we need to have a sitdown to plan removal of unused
items.  All I want is a simple way to list the file name and size of every
file in every subdirectory on the device.  Dates/times would also be nice,
but not critical.

None of my DOS "Tricks" books cover this.  The TREE command won't list
file size.  The only approach I can think of is to use TREE without the
file names, then edit the output to generate a list of all of the sub-
directories, which I could then feed to DIR recursively somehow and
redirect the output to a file for later printing.  Isn't there a simpler
way?

"Moby" Dick O'Connor
Washington Department of Fisheries
Olympia, Washington  98504
Internet Mail: djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu
DISCLAIMER:  I speak only for myself, not for the Department.  Here, anyway!
               So long, and thanks from all the fish...

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (05/25/89)

djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) writes:

>It's time to clean up the old hard disk, which is up to 97 subdirectories
>and around 1700 files (2/3 of a 30 MB HD is full already??).  Since two of
>us share this device, we need to have a sitdown to plan removal of unused
>items.  All I want is a simple way to list the file name and size of every
>file in every subdirectory on the device.  Dates/times would also be nice,
>but not critical.

----------

I would hate to even think of such an undertaking without XTREE.
With XTREE (or even better, XTREE Professional) this job is a
snap.

John Hardin
----------

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (05/26/89)

In article <2142@blake.acs.washington.edu>, djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) writes:
> It's time to clean up the old hard disk, which is up to 97 subdirectories
> and around 1700 files (2/3 of a 30 MB HD is full already??).  Since two of
> us share this device, we need to have a sitdown to plan removal of unused
> items.  All I want is a simple way to list the file name and size of every
> file in every subdirectory on the device.  Dates/times would also be nice,
> but not critical.

What I use is a utility called SWEEP, which I got from PC Magazine. You
give it a DOS command as a parameter, then it will execute the command
in the current directory and all the sub-directories. So if you executed
the following command from the root:

SWEEP DIR > LPT1:

That would give you what you need.
--
Joel Upchurch/Concurrent Computer Corp/2486 Sand Lake Rd/Orlando, FL 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd,ucf-cs}!peora!joel

rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rusty Smith, MACC) (05/27/89)

>What I use is a utility called SWEEP, which I got from PC Magazine. You
>give it a DOS command as a parameter, then it will execute the command
>in the current directory and all the sub-directories. So if you executed

You might also check for a posting  a while back to c.b.i.p. called
"ls". It is a dos version of the Unix "ls". Using "ls -lR" will give
you a long directory listing that is recursive. It will have all the
directories, subdirectories with file size, date etc. Redirecting it
to a file is the easiest way. "ls -lR >direct.lst".

Rusty Smith			Internet:  rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu
MACC Data Communications	Bitnet:    rsmith@wiscmacc
(608)  263-6307			Univ. of Wisconsin @ Madison

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (06/01/89)

In article <2142@blake.acs.washington.edu> djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) writes:
. All I want is a simple way to list the file name and size of every
. file in every subdirectory on the device.  Dates/times would also be nice,
. but not critical.

Norton's FF (find file) does it, unless I misunderstand you.
Just run FF from your root directory.

Oh, with no parameters.
Steve Ligett       steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or
(decvax harvard linus true)!dartvax!steve.ligett

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/02/89)

Try getting hold of a shareware program called Directory Scanner. I have a
copy (non 'cloned') which I can mail you, or get in touch with the author:

        Nat Martino
        501 W. Vineyard Ave. #514,
        Oxnard, CA 93030.
        (805) 485-6340

Excellent program, and a $15 dollar contribution requested. Program has
annoying delays when you switch directories if you don't send in the money, but
otherwise has full capabilities.
No connection other than being a very satisfied user for couple years.

Milan
mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

bumby@math.rutgers.edu (Richard Bumby) (06/06/89)

The July-August 1989 issue (#48) of Micro Cornucopia (available
at discriminating bookshops everywhere for $3.95) arrived at my
house on June 2.  Some of the topics discussed recently in this
newsgroup have received prominent attention in this issue of the
publication which bills itself as "The Micro Technical Journal".

The "Shareware" column by Anthony Barcellos contains a section on
Helpware's Director 1.0 which is a collection of utilities
previously distributed under the names DL and DB) for file
management in DOS and a full description of QEdit. There is also
a discussion of data compression in this article as well as an
article by Michael S. Hunt on "Compression Routines" including a
complete listing (in Pascal) of simple Compression/Decompression
routines.

Since I do not recall any mention of "Director" in this
newsgroup, it is probably worth mentioning that it is available
for $30 with the printed manual ($25 with only the on-disk
manual) from

                    Helpware
                    100 Bayo Vista Way, #6
                    San Raphael, CA 94901

Those who are looking for this sort of product may wish to
consult the article and/or write to the distributer for more
information.
--

--R. T. Bumby ** Math ** Rutgers ** New Brunswick **
(in one form or another for all kinds of mail)