[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Warm Boot

ang@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (06/01/89)

Does anybody know of a public domain program that would do a
warm-boot without clearing memory?

I would like to run some games (designed for a PC) on an
AT-compatible. I got some TSR programs on SIMTEL20 that would
slow down the AT (e.g. AT-SLOW, WHOAPC), but some of my games
requires the system to be rebooted. SO I need a way to reboot
the system without deactivating the TSR programs.

Please e-mail reply directly to me. Thanks in advance!

Marcelo H. Ang Jr.
Dept of EE, Univ of Rochester
ang@ee.rochester.edu
rochester!ur-valhalla!ang

mitch@arcturus.UUCP (Mitchell S. Gorman) (06/05/89)

In article <2263@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu>, ang@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu writes:
> Does anybody know of a public domain program that would do a
> warm-boot without clearing memory?

	This is a rather common question in this .group, so I figgered I'd
answer it in public view (expose myself, as it were! :^).

	I was working this weekend on an application, and discovered that
TP5.0's PRINTER unit is incompatible with the print spooler I use (if YOU
were stuck with an MX-80, YOU'D use a print spooler, too!!).  What I needed
was a way to reboot the PC using a secondary AUTOEXEC file, because I
really wasn't interested in having the thing prompt me everytime I turned
it on as to whether or not I wanted the spooler loaded.

	Anyway, I wrote a batch file that would set up the auxiliary
autoexec, and then run a little program I wrote for rebooting.  What the
program does is change memory address $40:$17 (the keyboard toggle keys
status word) to show that CTRL and ALT had been hit.  Then the program
throws a prompt on the screen that says "If ya wanna reboot, hit the DEL
key.  Any other key resets.", any waits for keyboard input.  If you DO hit
the delete key, the sucker reboots.  If not, the next line in the code
resets the status word.  It's quick.  It's easy.  And it gives you the
chance to chicken out.  It also makes warm-reboots a one-handed operation,
which I like 'cause I'm lazy!!  :^)

	"Just thought you'd like to know."

	Mitch @ Rockwell, Anaheim

Disclaimer:	I do have a 101-key keyboard, but I hate the awkward way I
		have to scrunch my hand up to do a one-handed CTRL-ALT-DEL!

mitch@arcturus.UUCP (Mitchell S. Gorman) (06/05/89)

I realize I didn't answer the question of "not clearing memory" in my last
post; I was only addressing the reboot issue.

	Mitch @ Rockwell, Anaheim

rob@conexch.UUCP (Robert Collins) (06/06/89)

+
+throws a prompt on the screen that says "If ya wanna reboot, hit the DEL
+key.  Any other key resets.", any waits for keyboard input.  If you DO hit
+the delete key, the sucker reboots.  If not, the next line in the code
+resets the status word.  It's quick.  It's easy.  And it gives you the

And it also clears memory!  The question was how to reboot without
clearing memory.  What you could have done is:
mov 40:72, 1234h
jmp 0f000:0fff0
That will reboot the computer and clear memory.  But I understand your
desire to have a way out of rebooting (with your prompt method).

--
"Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."  Mat. 4:10
Robert Collins                 UUCP:  ucbvax!ucivax!icnvax!conexch!rob