[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Books on cooking up AT compatibles

aiko@cs.odu.edu (John K Hayes) (06/06/89)

I am looking for good books on how to assemble AT compatible PCs from the
ground up.  I don't know much about the hardware technicalities which is why
I need the books.

Specifically, what I'm interested in is:

o The types of memory and what is compatible with what processor

o Controllers required for HD/FD

o Types of serial/parallel port cards compatible with which type motherboard

o The basics on CGA, EGA, VGA and multisync cards and monitors

o basics on extended memory

o BIOS chips and other ROMs required

o What is NEAT???

o Clock card(?) with battery

I plan to start with a barebones system with motherboard, case, P/S and add
on to it.

Any helpful suggestions you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...john

--
    ---{john hayes}  Old Dominion University; Norfolk, Virginia USA
                     internet: aiko@cs.odu.edu

                      <++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++>
Are you a Have or a Have_Not?  Because if you're a Have_Not, you've probably
had it; whereas, if you're a Have, you've probably got it and are going to
give it away at some point in the future!       --- The Clash
                      <++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++>

leech@Apple.COM (Jonathan Patrick Leech) (06/07/89)

In article <9051@xanth.cs.odu.edu> aiko@cs.odu.edu (John K Hayes) writes:
>I am looking for good books on how to assemble AT compatible PCs from the
>ground up.  I don't know much about the hardware technicalities which is why
>Any helpful suggestions you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

    I don't know if this is helpful, but I would strongly recommend
against books by Aubrey Pilgrim titled something like "How to build
your own 80X86 compatible and save a bundle" where X = 2, 3.  I have
the 386 version, purchased through the Library of Science, and it
doesn't go into much detail anywhere; the level is roughly "pick a
good motherboard and install it in the case."
--
    Jon Leech (leech@apple.com)
    Apple Integrated Systems