[comp.sys.ibm.pc] I Need Advice on 9600 Modems.

gatesl@romana.cs.orst.edu (Lee Ryan Gates) (06/07/89)

  Hi, I have been looking at buying a 9600 baud modem this summer.  I am
thinking of getting a US Robotics Dual Standard modem, since it will be
compatible will HST, MNP level 5, and Hayes V.32.  I am considering running
a BBS, so I am concerned about compatibility.  What other modems should I
be considering?  Are there any other protocols which are used that are
used as frequently as these two?  Do you think there will be any other
protocols which may become as popular as these two?

  Thanx
  lee
**
      'must be Oregon, look there's another person with rust on 'em.'
gates@romana.cs.orst.edu   'anybody got a job for an aspiring cs undergrad?' :-)

andy@mks.UUCP (Andy Toy) (06/08/89)

In article <10999@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> gatesl@romana.cs.orst.edu (Lee Ryan Gates) writes:

>  Hi, I have been looking at buying a 9600 baud modem this summer.  I am
>thinking of getting a US Robotics Dual Standard modem, since it will be
>compatible will HST, MNP level 5, and Hayes V.32.  I am considering running
>a BBS, so I am concerned about compatibility.  What other modems should I
>be considering?  Are there any other protocols which are used that are
>used as frequently as these two?  Do you think there will be any other
>protocols which may become as popular as these two?

The Telebit T2500 has V.32 as well as a host of other modulation
schemes.  They are Bell 103J, 212A, V.21, V.22, V.22bis, V.23,
V.32 and Telebit's own PEP modulation.  It can go as fast as
19 200 bps error-free using PEP.  It supports UUCP, X/YMODEM,
KERMIT protocols and can use PEP or MNP Class 5 error correction
standards.  It also does compression and supports the AT command
set.  Their number is 1-800-TELEBIT.

TELEBIT
1345 Shorebird Way,
Mountain View, CA 94043-1329

415/969-3800     FAX: 415/969-8888
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,    Internet: andy%mks@watmath.UWaterloo.ca
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,            UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy