[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Packard Bell 286

rwp@cup.portal.com (Roger William Preisendefer) (05/24/89)

My new Packard Bell '286 machine is showing an odd flaw.  After it has been
off for a while (t > 6 hours) it will refuse to boot from the hard drive.
It will boot perfectly from floppy, and has no trouble accessing the
hard disk.  If on for more than 1 minute, it can be rebooted from the
HD without difficulty.

Anyone with a similar experience (and possible fixes) please reply.

Roger Preisendefer
rwp@cup.portal.com
"How come I get all the hard questions?"  (O.. North)

ellisond@gtephx.UUCP (Dell Ellison) (06/02/89)

In article <18718@cup.portal.com>, rwp@cup.portal.com (Roger William Preisendefer) writes:
> My new Packard Bell '286 machine is showing an odd flaw.  After it has been
> off for a while (t > 6 hours) it will refuse to boot from the hard drive.
> It will boot perfectly from floppy, and has no trouble accessing the
> hard disk.  If on for more than 1 minute, it can be rebooted from the
> HD without difficulty.

Actually, I have been having the same problem with my Packard Bell computer (not
a 286).  It came with a 30 meg. hard disk drive.  I hadn't linked it to the
greater-than-six-hours thing, but now that you mention it, that's what it
seems like, I think.  I was just going to call Packard Bell and insist that
they replace it, but that might not fix the problem if other people are
having that same problem.  Have you heard any more about it?

Dell Ellison

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (06/03/89)

]
]Actually, I have been having the same problem with my Packard Bell computer (not
]a 286).  It came with a 30 meg. hard disk drive.  I hadn't linked it to the
]greater-than-six-hours thing, but now that you mention it, that's what it
]seems like, I think.  I was just going to call Packard Bell and insist that
]they replace it, but that might not fix the problem if other people are
]having that same problem.  Have you heard any more about it?
]

My parents have a similar problem with their XT clone (no name -- I can't find
ANY mfgr markings!).  Anyways, on cold boot (power up after several hours),
it won't boot from the HD.  Sometimes it'll hang, other times it'll give a
1701 error (The true-blue IBM manuals say "call your dealer").  If you
either ctrl-alt-del or power cycle, it then works normally.

Also, given a no-name, how would you look for a identifying mark in the BIOS?

At boot, this machine displays:

COMPUTER XT (C) 1985      (or something like that -- no names)

The only identifying mark I can find in the BIOS is the string "DNA" (talk
about "clones"!!!).  Norton finds the Western Digital HD BIOS at C800.

Suggestions of where to look will help!

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (06/07/89)

[deleted stuff about failure to boot from HD's]

Sometimes intermittent failure to boot from HD (with 1701 error) can
be due to power supply problems. The white power connectors from the
supply to the HD often have chintzy sockets whose leaves spread after
a while, causing poor contact. Swapping a power connector with one
from one of the floppies will often solve this problem. The reason for
the problem is, if the HD does not get up to speed in a criterion time,
then the HD goes unrecognized. The symptoms are (besides the 1701 error)
the HD light staying on, but more faintly than usual during bootup.
Sometime the power supply itself can be defective. Hope this helps
someone.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP           919 286 0411

rwp@cup.portal.com (Roger William Preisendefer) (06/08/89)

>> My new Packard Bell '286 machine is showing an odd flaw.  After it has been
>> off for a while (t > 6 hours) it will refuse to boot from the hard drive.
>> It will boot perfectly from floppy, and has no trouble accessing the
>> hard disk.  If on for more than 1 minute, it can be rebooted from the
>> HD without difficulty.

>Actually, I have been having the same problem with my Packard Bell
>computer (not a 286).   It came with a 30 meg.  hard disk drive.   I
>hadn't linked it to the greater-than-six-hours thing, but now that
>you mention it, that's what it  seems like, I think.   I was just
>going to call Packard Bell and insist that they replace it, but that
>might not fix the problem if other people are having that same
>problem.   Have you heard any more about it?

I have been dealing with Packard Bell for the last month, trying to
get the problem fixed.  They are very helpful.  When you call
technical support, if the lines are very busy, they will call you
back!  They will lead you through different things to try to diagnose the
problem over the phone.  I have been led through checking the ROM'd
setup file (the computer was a store demo and the salesmen had it
configured wrong.)  I then tried reformatting the HD, following the
step-by-step instructions of the tech (though I had already done it
correctly.)  All to no avail.  Packard Bell suggested shipping it
back or taking it to a local service center, and provided the
numbers for all of these in my area.  Since it has a one year
warranty, I think I'll wait to see if it goes away (or more likely
gets worse.)  Moving the controller card seems to have fixed it, but
the problem is intermittent, so I'll wait and see....

I suggest giving them a call if you're having the same problem.  The
number is 1-800-733-4411.  They seemed very interested in making it
right...

Roger Preisendefer
rwp@cup.portal.com