[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Paradise VGA problem in 800x600 mode

MMI@PSUVM.BITNET (06/07/89)

XOPTIONS: REPLYING to NETNEWS article

Date:    7 June 1989, 01:33:05 EDT
From:    MMI      at PSUVM
To:      kevino at hpccc.HP.COM
Subject: Re: Paradise VGA and MS Windows 800x600?

I have a VGA PROF.  The problem I am having is a series of vertical
lines that are dark then light in the 800x600 mode.  If you have seen
air flowing around airplane wings or cars in ads, that is exactly what
these lines look like.  To make a long story short, here is what I tried:

1 - 386-20, VGA PROF, Mitsubishi Diamond Scan monitor
2 -  "    , different card, different monitor
3 - 286-10, VGA Plus,   "                            , different location
4- 386-25, VGA PROF, NEC Multisync 2A monitor

I have been annoyed by this problem for a long time.

*** HELP WOULD BE A MIRACLE ***

I am running PageMaker.  I also tried the full version of windows 2.--

*** Michel Maksoud.

jsilva@cogsci.berkeley.edu (John Silva) (06/08/89)

In article <89158.014633MMI@PSUVM> MMI@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>Subject: Re: Paradise VGA and MS Windows 800x600?
>
>I have a VGA PROF.  The problem I am having is a series of vertical
>lines that are dark then light in the 800x600 mode.  If you have seen
>air flowing around airplane wings or cars in ads, that is exactly what
>these lines look like.  To make a long story short, here is what I tried:
>
>1 - 386-20, VGA PROF, Mitsubishi Diamond Scan monitor
>2 -  "    , different card, different monitor
>3 - 286-10, VGA Plus,   "                            , different location
>4- 386-25, VGA PROF, NEC Multisync 2A monitor
>
>I have been annoyed by this problem for a long time.
>
>*** Michel Maksoud.

The Thomson Ultrascan I own is essentially a Mitsubishi Diamondscan, and it
exhibits the problem you describe.

This was described to me by a tech at Thomson as "magnetic interference".  I
don't know what that means, but I've seen it on many monitors, including
two different NEC monitors.  One monitor that doesn't have the problem is
the Sony 1303.  This is fortunate, as it's a much better monitor than
either the NEC or the Mitsubishi, in my opinion.  The Sony 1302A might also
work, but I've not tried it.  BTW, this is all with the Paradise Plus 16,
which is a VGA Prof with 256k.

-J.
John P. Silva                                 "I drank WHAT?!"
Inova Products, Inc.                 Internet: jsilva@cogsci.berkeley.edu
(415)222-9255                          Usenet: ucbvax!cogsci!jsilva