[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS 4.0

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (07/27/88)

      Has anyone installed PC-DOS 4.0 yet ?  I saw an interesting blurb
that stated that if you have larger than a 32MB disk, "share" will be
installed automatically.  Now I know a new feature of 4.0 is to support
disk partitions larger than 32 MB but........   Is the new version truely
allowing more than 65535 total sectors or is it playing some "hidden"
games with the "share" facility to make you beleive you have one big
partition ?  Any information is appreciated.

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (07/27/88)

In article <611@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
}disk partitions larger than 32 MB but........   Is the new version truely
}allowing more than 65535 total sectors or is it playing some "hidden"

If it uses the COMPAQ DOS 3.31 method, it truly allows more than 64K sectors,
but loses compatibility with a lot of disk-maintenance software because the
INT 25h and INT 26h direct-read/direct-write interface has changed.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

thaler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) (07/27/88)

In article <611@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>      Has anyone installed PC-DOS 4.0 yet ?  I saw an interesting blurb
>that stated that if you have larger than a 32MB disk, "share" will be
>installed automatically.  Now I know a new feature of 4.0 is to support
>disk partitions larger than 32 MB but........   Is the new version truely
>allowing more than 65535 total sectors or is it playing some "hidden"
>games with the "share" facility to make you beleive you have one big
>partition ?  Any information is appreciated.
>

>						John
What I would like to know is if they will allow for 2K clusters. Large
partitions sound nice but I am not looking forward to 8K blocks!

seeger@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Charles Seeger) (07/27/88)

In article <611@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>      Has anyone installed PC-DOS 4.0 yet ?  I saw an interesting blurb
>that stated that if you have larger than a 32MB disk, "share" will be
>installed automatically.  Now I know a new feature of 4.0 is to support
>disk partitions larger than 32 MB but........   Is the new version truely
>allowing more than 65535 total sectors or is it playing some "hidden"
>games with the "share" facility to make you beleive you have one big
>partition ?  Any information is appreciated.

I think the announcement said that the sector addresses were now 32 bits,
rather than 16, which is why DOS 3.x won't read the new file systems.
Doesn't sound like a game to me.  What, exactly, is the share facility,
anyway?

Chuck

boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) (07/28/88)

In article <6065@spool.cs.wisc.edu> thaler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) writes:
>In article <611@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>>
>>      Has anyone installed PC-DOS 4.0 yet ?  I saw an interesting blurb
From reading the book which deals with OS/2 (I think it's called
"Inside OS/2" oddly enough, but my copy is at home so I'm not sure) by
Gordon Letwin, Microsoft chief operating systems architect, DOS 4.0 was
a version which was sold to OEMs for the purpose of developing
specialized packages for selling to a customer.  OS/2 is DOS v5.0.
The impression I got was that DOS 4.0 was not for sale to the general
public.

Brendan
Disclaimer: This is all from a book I read about 2 months ago.  If you
want to make sure of what is right and what is not, go read the book.

mintz@hpindda.HP.COM (Ken Mintz) (07/28/88)

> I saw an interesting blurb that stated that if you have larger than a 32MB
> disk, "share" will be installed automatically.

  The blurb that was posted here said:  "SHARE is automatically installed if
  the user has >32Mb   p a r t i t i o n s", not (partitioned) disks.

Ken Mintz

stever@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Imants Golts) (07/28/88)

Whatever "Inside OS/2" says about DOS 4.0 is now seemingly outdated by IBM's
offering of PC-DOS 4.0.  It is my understanding that Microsoft has
offered MS-DOS 4.0 for quite a while to OEM's in Europe primarily
as a multitasking operating system.  This MS-DOS 4.0 is not the
PC-DOS 4.0 now being offered by IBM.   From a recent blurb in a
trade paper Microsoft will now release their own version of the
IBM PC-DOS 4.0 as MS-DOS 4.0.  However, this second MS-DOS 4.0 will
not be offered in the stores, but will be available only through
OEM's.  So I will have to go to AST to get it since that is the
machine I have.

So the question is, will the new MS-DOS 4.0 have undocumented
multi-tasking?  (I doubt it since multitasking is the intended
domain of OS/2 where it is designed into the OS  from the start,
and IBM and MS would certainly want some reason for the customer to
go to OS/2!)

And what is Microsoft going to call the old (multi-tasking) MS-DOS 4.0?

Anyone at Microsoft willing to give a definitive answer to:
"Will the real MS-DOS 4.0 please stand up?" ?

--sdr

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (07/28/88)

In article <4530@ut-emx.UUCP>, boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) writes:
> In article <6065@spool.cs.wisc.edu> thaler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) writes:
> >In article <611@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
> >>
> The impression I got was that DOS 4.0 was not for sale to the general
> public.

     All the sources I've seen indicate its available on your dealers
shelves now. I havn't called around yet but intend to do so soon. Infoworld
has had some good write ups the past few weeks.

						John

--

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (07/29/88)

In article <6065@spool.cs.wisc.edu> thaler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) writes:
<In article <611@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
<>
<>      Has anyone installed PC-DOS 4.0 yet ?  I saw an interesting blurb
<>that stated that if you have larger than a 32MB disk, "share" will be
<>installed automatically.  Now I know a new feature of 4.0 is to support
<>disk partitions larger than 32 MB but........   Is the new version truely
<>allowing more than 65535 total sectors or is it playing some "hidden"
<>games with the "share" facility to make you beleive you have one big
<>partition ?  Any information is appreciated.
<What I would like to know is if they will allow for 2K clusters. Large
<partitions sound nice but I am not looking forward to 8K blocks!

I just did a check on my 70 MB drive, split into 40 and 30, using MS-DOS 3.31.
It supports > 32 MB and it used 2K clusters.  I suspect that MS/PC-DOS 4.00
will also use 2K clusters.
--
	       harvard-\	att!terminus--\
Mr. Video         ucbvax!uwvax.................!nicmad!brown

reese@pdnag1.uucp (0000-Don Reese(0000)) (07/29/88)

In article <611@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
_>_ _ _ _ _ _ _H_a_s_ _a_n_y_o_n_e_ _i_n_s_t_a_l_l_e_d_ _P_C_-_D_O_S_ _4_._0_ _y_e_t_ _?

Yes we have seen the announcement posted here, and yes I belive most of us
can read, but it appears that many can not understand the question!  Has
anyone actually installed DOS 4.0 yet?  If so, does it live up to the
product announcement?  Should we all wait for version 4.X.X to fix the
bugs?

--
Don Reese             uunet!pdn!pdnag1!reese | The most merciful thing in the
Paradyne Corporation  Phone: (813) 530-8361  | world ... is the inability of the

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (07/29/88)

In article <3866@pdn.UUCP>, reese@pdnag1.uucp (0000-Don Reese(0000)) writes:
}anyone actually installed DOS 4.0 yet?  If so, does it live up to the
}product announcement?

Has anyone else noticed the 7/25 _InfoWorld_ cover story on DOS 4.0's shell?
The text and captions say the shell is text-based, but both photos show
graphics icons, menu "buttons", check marks, etc....  Sure looks like it's
running in graphics mode (assuming the photos really are of the DOS 4.0 shell
and not the Presentation Manager....).

--

toma@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (07/29/88)

In article <3866@pdn.UUCP> reese@pdnag1.UUCP (0000-Don Reese) writes:

>[...]  If so, does it live up to the
>product announcement?  Should we all wait for version 4.X.X to fix the
>bugs?

Remember DOS 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0?  If history is any factor, wait for 4.1!

Tom Almy (a user of 3.3)
toma@tekgvs.TEK.COM

Standard Disclaimer Applies

gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) (07/29/88)

   In article <3301@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM>, stever@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Imants Golts) writes:

   > Whatever "Inside OS/2" says about DOS 4.0 is now seemingly outdated by IBM's
   > offering of PC-DOS 4.0.  It is my understanding that Microsoft has
   > offered MS-DOS 4.0 for quite a while to OEM's in Europe primarily
   > as a multitasking operating system.  This MS-DOS 4.0 is not the
   > PC-DOS 4.0 now being offered by IBM.

True.  "DOS 4.0" was an internal name for what was sold as a special OEM
product.  I don't believe that those OEMs retailed it as "DOS 4" because that
would confuse their customers.  To the end user, DOS 4 looked like DOS 3, and
I'm sure was sold as that.

Since the name "DOS 4" never hit the streets on a product, IBM felt free
to use that for the next DOS upgrade.  Nothing like a little confusion
to make one's day.  My personal theory is that IBM did it because one
of their employees has a rival OS/2 book out that doesn't mention
DOS 4.0 ( :-) )

   > So the question is, will the new MS-DOS 4.0 have undocumented
   > multi-tasking?  (I doubt it since multitasking is the intended
   > domain of OS/2 where it is designed into the OS  from the start,
   > and IBM and MS would certainly want some reason for the customer to
   > go to OS/2!)
   >
   > And what is Microsoft going to call the old (multi-tasking) MS-DOS 4.0?

No, MS-DOS 4.0 and PC-DOS 4.0 have no multitasking.  They're derived
from the 3.x lineage.  The lack of multitasking isn't mainly a matter
of wanting people to go to OS/2 - multitasking is very limited in a
DOS environment because of the lack of memory, the lack of protection, and
the inability to move programs around in memory once they've started.  This
last also effectively precludes swapping.  OS/2 of course multitasks in
protect mode and doesn't multitask within real mode (although it does
multitask BETWEEN real and protect mode.  Lotsa late nights here)

As for the OEM product, I don't know what we call it when we discuss it
with OEMs, but I guess we'll figure something out.

	Gordon Letwin
	Microsoft

leefi@microsoft.UUCP (Lee Fisher) (07/30/88)

Recently, the question arose:

> Anyone at Microsoft willing to give a definitive answer to:
> "Will the real MS-DOS 4.0 please stand up?" ?

People are confused about the OLD version of MS-DOS 4.0 (mentioned
in various places, most notably Gordon Letwin's book, `Inside OS/2'),
and the NEW version of MS-DOS 4.00 (recently announced on 7/19/88).
Since they are differenct products, but they have the SAME version,
people are confused (as was I).

OK, I'll try to give a definitive answer, but please be sure to read
my disclaimer at the end....

The OLD (multi-tasking) MS-DOS 4.0 was only released to a few OEMs in
Europe. I don't believe that it will be supported (i.e., new releases
of this product), although I don't know this for sure. If I had any
say in the matter (I don't), I'd suggest that the OEMs that are using
this old product move up to OS/2, since it gives much better multi-
tasking support.

The NEW (recently announced) MS-DOS 4.00 is based on the MS-DOS 3.3
sources. This new MS-DOS 4.00 does NOT contain any of the
multi-tasking abilities that the older named MS-DOS 4.00 had.
In contrast, the OLD MS-DOS 4.0 was based on older MS-DOS sources,
something like MS-DOS 3.1 or 3.2. These multi-tasking features were
not added to 3.3 and finally this recent 4.0. If anything, the
multi-tasking code was inspiration for OS/2 (which, to make things
more confusing, was initially named DOS 5).

Hope this helps.

-Lee
________
01001100 Lee Fisher, Microsoft Corp., Redmond, WA.
01000101 leefi@microsof.beaver.washington.EDU
01000101 leefi%microsof@uw-beaver.ARPA leefi@microsof.UUCP
01000110 {decvax,decwrl,sco,sun,trsvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!microsof!leefi
01001001 DISCLAIMER: My opinions are my *OWN*, not those of my employer!

leefi@microsoft.UUCP (Lee Fisher) (08/01/88)

In article <22f07270@ralf>, Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:

> Has anyone else noticed the 7/25 _InfoWorld_ cover story on DOS 4.0's
> shell? The text and captions say the shell is text-based, but both
> photos show graphics icons, menu "buttons", check marks, etc....  Sure
> looks like it's running in graphics mode (assuming the photos really are
> of the DOS 4.0 shell and not the Presentation Manager....).

The MS-DOS 4.00 Shell looks much like the PM shell when on an EGA or
VGA (and perhaps the 8514/a, although I'm not sure), coming up in EGA
graphics mode. It has all those icons for files and directories and
such. On a CGA or monochrome system, it comes up in 80x25 text mode,
not in graphics mode. The interface is similar, but no graphics.

The design goal was to come up with a user interface that looks like
the PM environment, allowing users to have an easy transition from
MS-DOS to MS OS/2, and all that.

Please note my disclaimer, below.

-Lee
________
01001100 Lee Fisher, Microsoft Corp., Redmond, WA.
01000101 leefi@microsof.beaver.washington.EDU
01000101 leefi%microsof@uw-beaver.ARPA leefi@microsof.UUCP
01000110 {decvax,decwrl,sco,sun,trsvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!microsof!leefi
01001001 My opinions are my *OWN*, not those of my employer!

geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) (08/04/88)

Is anyone (IBM, Microsoft, third party) coming up with
any kind of a toolkit to build MS-DOS 4.00 Shell compatible
applications? "Compatible" in the visual sense: it would be
nice to be able to build an application which could be
started from the shell and would appear to be a simple
extension of it - using the same color selections, help
style, graphics if available, etc. - without the overhead
of running MS-Windows (which, I gather, has one or two
glitches when used with 4.0).

When I first got the IBM press announcement I was told that
IBM would be releasing such a toolkit, but in reading
it through I couldn't see any such commitment. Can anyone
clarify matters?

Geoff
#include <std/disclaimer>

--
Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems     |
PC Distrib. Sys. (home of PC-NFS)  |            "Minx?"

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (08/05/88)

In article <612@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
:> In article <4530@ut-emx.UUCP>, boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) writes:
:> > In article <6065@spool.cs.wisc.edu> thaler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) writes:
:> > >In article <611@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
:> > >>
:> > The impression I got was that DOS 4.0 was not for sale to the general
:> > public.
:> >
:>
:>      All the sources I've seen indicate its available on your dealers
:> shelves now. I havn't called around yet but intend to do so soon. Infoworld
:> has had some good write ups the past few weeks.
:>
:> 						John
:>
:>
:>
:> --
:> John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
:> 1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET
:> Marysville, PA 17053             |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P

At least in the Dallas area, DOS 4.0 is supposed to be available on _MY_
dealers' shelves sometime between the end of August and the end of September.

And my order has been in since before the announcement.

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us
STB Systems, Inc.
Wordmark Systems
etc.

ir332@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (Jeff Miller) (08/12/88)

I am trying to install DOS 4.0 on an AMT 386, but am having no
success getting expanded memory to work.  According to the
"documentation" with DOS 4.0, the driver XMAEM.SYS emulates
expanded memory with any extended memory in the 386.

But when I include DEVICE=XMAEM.SYS in my config file, I get the
message "this system unit not supported".  Then the
DEVICE=XMA2EMS.SYS driver also complains, to the effect that there
is no expanded memory.

I have tried various permutations of RAMPage & RAMvantage cards
setting up various amounts of conventional, extended, and expanded
memory, all to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

	Jeff Miller               BITNET: jomiller@ucsd
	U. C. San Diego           Internet: jomiller@ucsd.edu
	Dept Psychology, C-009    ARPA: ir332@sdcc6.ucsd.edu
        La Jolla, CA  92093       Ma Bell or clone: 619-534-2996

stever@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Imants Golts) (08/14/88)

>I am trying to install DOS 4.0 on an AMT 386, but am having no
>success getting expanded memory to work.  According to the
>"documentation" with DOS 4.0, the driver XMAEM.SYS emulates
>expanded memory with any extended memory in the 386.

>....Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Maybe what you are doing wrong is trying to install (IBM?) DOS 4.0
on an AMT 386 (clone?).  As I understand it, to get DOS 4.0 to run real
right on your machine you are supposed to get it from your vendor who has
adapted DOS 4.0 to his machine using MS's binary adaption kit.  In other
words, get (AMT) DOS 4.0.

Maybe (IBM) DOS 4.0 does run correctly on some clones, but it seems to run
not real well on even IBM machines.  Maybe it is better to wait for 4.01?

In the meantime, it would be useful to compile a list of clones that
(IBM) DOS 4.0 will run on while we wait for the the clone vendors to
support it.

So, has anyone had an experience with running (IBM) DOS 4.0 on an
AST/286 Premium?  Or does any know whether AST is going to support
DOS 4.0 on its machines and when?

---steve rogers

merat@radix (Merat Bagha) (12/04/88)

I remember reading here about problems and bugs in PC & MS DOS 4.0.
Anyone have a list of such bugs?

Any idea on when the new release is to appear?

-- Merat

--
Merat Bagha
Radix MicroSystem, Inc.    |    tektronix!ogcvax!verdix!radix!merat

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (12/16/88)

In article <74@radix> merat@radix.UUCP (Merat Bagha) writes:

>I remember reading here about problems and bugs in PC & MS DOS 4.0.
>Any idea on when the new release is to appear?

MS DOS 4.01 is out and _claims_ to fix many bugs. I haven't tried it.

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>

ganymede@crl.UUCP (Jeff Bennington) (06/07/89)

	I am running DOS 4.0 on an Everex clone, and I can't seem
to be able to do a screen dump.. when I hit the PrtScr key, nothing
seems to happen.  I know the printer (HP Laser printer) works
with my setup, as I use it a lot with various software packages..

	Jeff

	crl!ganymede@pacbell.com  or pacbell!crl!ganymede@att.att.com

hovanes@db.UUCP (Kenneth Hovanes) (06/08/89)

In article <8906062013.AA00332@crl.UUCP>, ganymede@crl.UUCP (Jeff Bennington) writes:

> 	I am running DOS 4.0 on an Everex clone, and I can't seem
> to be able to do a screen dump.. when I hit the PrtScr key, nothing
> seems to happen.  I know the printer (HP Laser printer) works
> with my setup, as I use it a lot with various software packages..

Make sure you have run the graphics.com routine.  From the dos prompt
run graphics.  This will enable you to dump the text and CGA screen to
a printer.  I am not sure how this will work with a Laser Printer.  And
it does not work on the EGA screen.  By the way does DOS 4.0 work at all
or is it useless??

Make sure you are holding the shift-key or the ctrl-key when you press
PrtScr.

    ____________                                      |When  Hydrogen  U  played
   /   ----    /|                                     |Oxygen   Tech,  the  game
  /     --/   / |                                     |had  just begun. Hydrogen
 /   ____/   /  |  Kenneth Hovanes, Informix Analyst  |racked up two fast points
/___________/ /||  Intergraph Corporation             |Oxygen  still  had  none.
!___________!/    UUCP:  uunet!ingr!db!hovanes