[comp.sys.ibm.pc] help with DISKCOPY

cdddta@tasu76.UUCP (David Deitcher) (06/06/89)

A friend of mine is writing a book on a pc. He copied a game for his
child from a floppy on to his work floppy using the DISKCOPY command.
All of the sudden, three weeks worth of work were gone. Is there
any software that can help him recover his original stuff or is
it gone forever?

Thanks in advance.

-David

David Deitcher  ===  National Semiconductor Israel
UUCP:    ...!{amdahl,hplabs,decwrl}!nsc!taux01!cdddta
Domain:  cdddta@taux01.nsc.com

hollen@eta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (06/07/89)

From article <1815@taux01.UUCP>, by cdddta@tasu76.UUCP (David Deitcher):
> A friend of mine is writing a book on a pc. He copied a game for his
> child from a floppy on to his work floppy using the DISKCOPY command.
> All of the sudden, three weeks worth of work were gone. Is there
> any software that can help him recover his original stuff or is
> it gone forever?

Absolutely gone forever.  DISKCOPY copies one track at a time from
source to destination.  It does not know anything about files,
File Allocation Tables or directories.  It merely does a bit for bit
image copy from source to destination.  EVERYTHING previously on the
destination disk is wiped out with not even the slightest hope of
recovery.

How about backups, or is the painful way your friend has chosen
to teach himself the lesson of constantly backing up?

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

                                seismo!s3sun!megatek!hollen
                                ames!scubed/

hashemi@leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) (06/08/89)

In article <1815@taux01.UUCP> cdddta@tasu76.UUCP (David Deitcher) writes:
>A friend of mine is writing a book on a pc. He copied a game for his
>child from a floppy on to his work floppy using the DISKCOPY command.
>All of the sudden, three weeks worth of work were gone. Is there
>any software that can help him recover his original stuff or is
>it gone forever?

Hi there David. This may not have been what you wanted to hear, but the

answer to the question of recoverability is NO.

The copy wipes out the contents of the disk(DISKCOPY formats before copying,

which is even worse).

He should have done a backup of his work on a regular basis, which would

prevent this kind of disaster(hine sight :-( ).

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (06/08/89)

In article <1815@taux01.UUCP> cdddta@tasu76.UUCP (David Deitcher) writes:
<A friend of mine is writing a book on a pc. He copied a game for his
<child from a floppy on to his work floppy using the DISKCOPY command.
<All of the sudden, three weeks worth of work were gone. Is there
<any software that can help him recover his original stuff or is
<it gone forever?

It is gone forever.  Obviously he now knows that DISKCOPY was the WRONG
command to use.  It would have been fine for a blank diskette, not for his
working copy.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (06/09/89)

In article <1815@taux01.UUCP> cdddta@tasu76.UUCP (David Deitcher) writes:
<A friend of mine is writing a book on a pc. He copied a game for his
<child from a floppy on to his work floppy using the DISKCOPY command.
<All of the sudden, three weeks worth of work were gone. Is there
<any software that can help him recover his original stuff or is
<it gone forever?

It's gone forever...

DISKCOPY does a sector-by-sector copy. In effect it *reformats* the
destination floppy with the data from the source floppy. All the source
sectors are read and written to the destination floppy. So his data has
been written over.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]