[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm Question

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (01/15/87)

	Sorry if this has been covered...

	I recently dug up the shareware comm package PROCOMM from net.sources.
However I found that I could not get the KERMIT protocol to work. Are there
any tricks (it keeps resending the init packet until it gives up with UNIX BSD
kermit) ?
	Also my copy had the documentation arc file truncated. Could some one
send that arc file to me ?
	Thanks.
					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					Dept. Neurobiology
					Rockefeller Univ.
					1230 York Ave.
					NY, NY 10021
					212-570-7671
					...cmcl2!rna!dan
					rna!dan@cmcl2.arpa

wmf@chinet.UUCP (01/16/87)

In article <589@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:

>	Sorry if this has been covered...
>
>However I found that I could not get the KERMIT protocol to work.

PROCOMM requires the host kermit have it's parity reset to function properly.

The consensus on the net was SET PARITY EVEN, but I have had the best luck
with SET PARITY MARK.

If you are dealing with a binary file, both PROCOMM and the host kermit have
to be told this;

PROCOMM is set via the <ALT> S (setup) command and the host uses a SET FILE
TYPE BINARY command.

Regards,

             |    Fortiter in re,       ||     Bill Fischer     |
             |       suaviter in modo.  ||  ...ihnp4!chinet!wmf |

berger@clio.UUCP (01/22/87)

Most of our computers on campus use 7 data bits, one stop bit,
even parity (with the actual value of parity bit ignored).  I've
found that SPACE parity works properly on all of the systems,
while permitting kermit file transfers to function.  Note that
ProComm's kermit always seems to use 8th bit prefixing protocol,
contrary to the Kermit protocol document (which suggests a
handshaking operation take place to determine the appropriate
kermit mode).

OP.BACKUS%SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU@wasatch.utah.edu (Steven Backus) (06/09/89)

Hello,
   Does anyone know how to change the beep (duration, volume, etc.) in
procomm?  I've tried several TSR programs (newbeep, fixbeep) but none
have any effect while in procomm.
   Send replies to backus@science.utah.edu.
Thanks

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) (06/10/89)

In article <2007@wasatch.utah.edu> OP.BACKUS%SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU@wasatch.utah.edu (Steven Backus) writes:
>Hello,
>   Does anyone know how to change the beep (duration, volume, etc.) in
>procomm?  I've tried several TSR programs (newbeep, fixbeep) but none
>have any effect while in procomm.
>   Send replies to backus@science.utah.edu.
>Thanks

I presume when you say "beep", you mean the sound you get after your
up/download terminates, but not the sound effect of the pop-up menus.
I think there is actually a command in ProComm that allows you to do
that (the version I used is 2.4.2 though). Try <Alt>-S and select
(I forgot exactly) either 'Terminal Setup' or 'General Setup'. There
should be one entry that allows you to control the duration of the
beeping (in seconds). I don't think it allows you to control the
volume though.

If you are happen to talk about the sound effect, I think <Alt>-S
'Terminal Setup' allows you to disable that also. Hope that I am answering
the right question.

Andy Sun (sun@me.utoronto.ca)

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (06/10/89)

In article <2007@wasatch.utah.edu> OP.BACKUS%SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU@wasatch.utah.edu (Steven Backus) writes:
>   Does anyone know how to change the beep (duration, volume, etc.) in
>procomm?  I've tried several TSR programs (newbeep, fixbeep) but none
>have any effect while in procomm.

Just a while ago there was a discussion in this newsgroup on the
volume control of the PC (this part of the question is in no way
specific to Procomm).  There were two kinds of solutions.  1) There
is a tsr programm called silence.com (you can ftp in from our site).
2) Soldering a potentiometer to your PC speaker.

In Procomm the sound can be turned off from the setup menu.  Also
the duration of the alarm sound can be altered.  Use alt-S and so
on.  The manual gives the details.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun